Expand Golden, CO made offerings?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
skx013k2

Expand Golden, CO made offerings?

Post by skx013k2 »

Hi all,

Is there any precedence or plans for Spyderco moving production from overseas to Golden, CO? There are a number of Spydercos I’d really like to try, but I’m limiting myself to USA made atm. Chaparral, Sage, Delica, Endela, etc.

Related, is there specific criteria like steel or model that basically excludes a model from being made in Golden, CO? Any possibility for Sprint runs?

I’m willing to pay a premium, but trying to stick with USA made.

Thanks.
araneae

Re: Expand Golden, CO made offerings?

Post by araneae »

They are not going to pull knives from makers that are doing arguably some of the best production knives available after decades of working relationships. Spyderco's makers that have been doing good work keep those patterns as they evolve. Golden expanded capacity in the last decade and are probably doing all they can handle at the moment.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
carrot

Post by carrot »

Spyderco does not typically move models from one facility to another.

More complicated models are often made in Taichung to take advantage of their high-tech production capability and the stronger dollar.

The Delica family has always been made in Seki-City (for decades) and likely will never move from there.

Spyderco does ship steel from one country where it is made to another country where it is cut and ground, but it adds to the cost. Most models are made with local steel.

While the Golden models are among Spyderco's best, you're going to miss out tremendously if you stick to only one country of origin.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

I can't imagine my Spyderco collection without the Seki models! They're such staple models, and some of my favorite users. Of course I understand and respect that we all have our own collecting/purchasing "rules", but it'd be hard for me to stick with that one. ;)
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Spyderco has long-standing relationships with makers in places like Japan. I'm no expert, but I'd be wiling to say that the Spyderco we know and love wouldn't exist today without these partnerships. I don't see them backing out; and, to be honest, I would be sad if Spyderco did do this. It sounds silly to say things like I want a corporation to act honorably, but that's how I feel about Spyderco.

Moving lines to Golden would create an even longer backlog of knives going into production. Maintaining the current pace of production would mean another expansion of the Golden capacity. I'm guessing that this would require an investment measured in millions of dollars (new facility, new equipment, new hires, etc.). Given the current state of the economy (and where many project it going), this does not seem like the ideal time to take on more debt.

At the end of the day, Spyderco is still an American company that makes great products domestically. I went to the SFO a couple of years ago. It was pretty clear that I was more interested in looking than buying. But the people there (sorry, I forget their names) were just as willing to talk to me, answer my questions, and let me hold knives. I was there for quite a bit of time too. I even walked away with some free stickers. Spyderco employs some great people. Even if I buy a knife from Seki City, part of that sale ends up in the pockets of the people working domestically. I don't think there is anything wrong with wanting to buy American products. But I also don't think some knives will move to domestic production, but what do I know. Spyderco is a great company with great products and great people. I'm happy to give them my money regardless if the knife comes from Taiwan or Japan.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Welcome to the forum.

I seem to remember Sal mentioning somewhere (possibly on the Spyderco forum over on BF?) that he will NOT be moving any of the Seki-made models to Golden. It was the Seki makers who made Spyderco’s very first models; without them, Spyderco as we know it would not exist today. So, pulling those models out of Seki is simply not gonna happen. And I’m glad.

I also love the Golden models, and like the Taichung models (I only own one Taichung knife). There are only advantages for Spyderco to have knives manufactured in multiple facilities/countries. And as was already mentioned, the Golden facility is already running at full capacity.

Variety is the spice of life. But if you only like American-made, then buy only the Golden models.

Jim
jdw

Post by jdw »

Why try to fix something that isn't broken? The FRN models out of Seki are second to none and reasonably priced. Taichung arguably produces Spyderco's most elite and well constructed knives. If I want a knife to really work for me, there isn't anything better than a Golden made model. I respect Spyderco a lot for the loyalty to business ties that they seem to have so ethically developed.
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
blades&wrenches

Post by blades&wrenches »

Golden is already backlogged. Recently a retailer stated that it took 2 years from time of contract to delivery of an exclusive, which is anywhere from 600-1200 pcs. The Seki partnership is largely responsible for the company Spyderco has become, and produce what I consider the bread and butter of the company, so they are not going anywhere. Personally, I could do without the China line, but they are a great budget option and loved by many as well. So, unless they open another large US facility, I wouldn’t count on any international factory being shut down or production moved from where it currently is.
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

I do think Golden is rather limited and would love to see production expand but I think you're really missing out by going usa made only.
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

skx013k2 wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 5:02 am
Hi all,

Is there any precedence or plans for Spyderco moving production from overseas to Golden, CO? There are a number of Spydercos I’d really like to try, but I’m limiting myself to USA made atm. Chaparral, Sage, Delica, Endela, etc.
I’m willing to pay a premium, but trying to stick with USA made.

I can understand and think it´s a good thing if people try to buy locally made products (not an option for me concerning Spyderco, since I am from Austria/Europe).

But perhaps you could try to see it this way:
- One of many things that actually made and makes Spyderco such a great American company exactly is that they are reliable, trustworthy and loyal to partners who have been with them a long way.
- So that there is this company that represents your homecountry in a most positive way worldwide like Spyderco does and that can give jobs to US citizens has a lot do with their loyality to foreign partners and production sites.
- And if you´d choose top buy Seki or Taichung knives you like too, you´d certainly still support Spyderco as an Us company.
Last edited by Wartstein on Tue Nov 24, 2020 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Taichung puts out some of the finest knives Spyderco has ever made.

They are, at the very least, equal with Golden's Quality.

I'm all for more new models coming out of Golden. But, not at the expense of Taichung. They have more than earned their seat at the table.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I'm so thankful this thread came up. I've had an affinity for GOLDEN, CO USA Earth made Spyderco knives for a long time now. My main EDC is an M390 Military model and my two back up EDCs are a S110V Para2 and an XHP Military model. I have a special fondness for American made items and Spyderco's USA made items are particularly great IMO.

We can have more GOLDEN, CO products by simply buying more of them. The company will always follow the money trail as almost any company would.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I hope they are trying to expand Golden, CO production capacity, but I don't think they necessarily should bring any current overseas knives to Golden. I think the expanded capacity should first be used to decrease the contract to delivery times for what I can only guess is 100+ dealer/distributor exclusives in the queue. Then expand the lineup of the current Golden range by adding production Cru-carta variations of all models that can be fit with Micarta scales, expand the DLC options, expand the LC200N Salt options to other Golden models, and expand the LW FRN range to the Military and PM2. Not to mention the other models we know they are working on like the new Lil Native LW and Military Comp Lock. I think their plate is full as-is, even if they doubled capacity overnight somehow.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
James Y

Post by James Y »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 12:03 pm
I hope they are trying to expand Golden, CO production capacity, but I don't think they necessarily should bring any current overseas knives to Golden. I think the expanded capacity should first be used to decrease the contract to delivery times for what I can only guess is 100+ dealer/distributor exclusives in the queue. Then expand the lineup of the current Golden range by adding production Cru-carta variations of all models that can be fit with Micarta scales, expand the DLC options, expand the LC200N Salt options to other Golden models, and expand the LW FRN range to the Military and PM2. Not to mention the other models we know they are working on like the new Lil Native LW and Military Comp Lock. I think their plate is full as-is, even if they doubled capacity overnight somehow.

^^This.

Spyderco is still a small company, compared to many other knife companies. It may seem big to us because it’s such a top-tier knife company, but it’s small. Or so I remember Sal saying.

It’s also not easy to just hire a bunch of new people and have them manufacturing Spyderco-quality knives in a short amount of time. It takes talent and skill.

Jim
anycal

Post by anycal »

Personally, I don't think I would be missing anything if I decided to go Golden made only. Variety of sizes, lock types, handle materials, steel options. I am already about 90% in that camp already.

That said, I appreciate knives coming from the other factories. Favorite from Japan would be the Caly or Delica, and GB2 or Ikuchi from Taiwan.

Like it or not, we live in a global economy. Spyderco, with their various locations, manufacturing equipment, and sourcing of materials, is a global company. Let them make business decisions as they know how. Let us make the purchasing choices as we will.

I guess the Siren is missing from this pic. Looking forward to the Chief and Shaman one of these days. Go Golden!

Peter
Blnd

Post by Blnd »

I would prefer to purchase Golden Colorado USA Earth made knives, But they don’t make anything there I’m interested in carrying.

I
skx013k2

Post by skx013k2 »

Just to clarify, I have a couple Seki city made Spydercos and have no issue buying Japan made. It’s more that I’m looking to expand my collection and would like to do that with Golden made.

I might not have asked the question correctly. The Native Salt is LC200N and Golden made. An Atlantic Salt 2 is LC200N and Japan made. So the steel choice doesn’t seem to restrict to a particular geo-location. Does the pattern - I.e. all Native patterns are always made in Golden all Endura in Japan? Or could we ever expect a run of Endura or Delica pattern models with a particular steel to be Golden made?
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

Greetings fellow watch and knife afficionado!
I believe Sal has said fairly recently that he'd never take the Seki line away from that manufacturer out of a sense of honor and obligation: they stood by him early on and he'll stand by them. And as you know from that Seiko on your wrist, the Japanese QC is generally superb.

I would love more Golden made knives. Have to say the lock on my Natives is superior to the Seki's and comparing my Golden made UKPK to the similar Italian made Urban is really no contest.

I think collecting the Golden made knives is a great place to start with a collection!
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Ah, no.

If you’re worried about supporting American companies then don’t worry, Spyderco is an American company. :D
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

skx013k2 wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 3:41 pm
So the steel choice doesn’t seem to restrict to a particular geo-location. Does the pattern - I.e. all Native patterns are always made in Golden all Endura in Japan? Or could we ever expect a run of Endura or Delica pattern models with a particular steel to be Golden made?
Ah, I misunderstood. Apologies. The inclusion of American and European steels in the Seki lineup is a recent addition. Patterns very rarely change from one location to another. I know the first Starmate was made in Golden. When it was brought back, it was done in Japan. I am sure there are a few more like this, though they seem to be an exception to the rule. I don't think you'll see and Endura change manufacturers.