Have you owned a Spyderco lockback with zero play?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Have you owned a Spyderco lockback with zero play?

Yes
85%
No
15%

Total votes: 91

bearfacedkiller

Re: Have you owned a Spyderco lockback with zero play?

Post by bearfacedkiller »

All of my Native5s have zero play as does my Sage4 and Chap. I own a large pile of Japanese lockbacks and they all have some play.

I don’t understand how folks can say that Japanese knives lack blade play. It has been quite noticeable on every one of the dozens that I have owned.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Pretty sure I mentioned this in the other thread, my Native 5's are stupid solid. They don't wiggle in any direction. Really impressive for a linerless no washer lightweight.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I voted yes. P4LW has some minor play. Like others have stated, I'm not worried about safety implications of this.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Evil D wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:28 pm
Pretty sure I mentioned this in the other thread, my Native 5's are stupid solid. They don't wiggle in any direction. Really impressive for a linerless no washer lightweight.
I may end up picking up a chap or native 5 just to check out their lock-up.
:unicorn
Xplorer

Post by Xplorer »

My Siren and my Natives are tighter than the others I have. The Native is the best example of backlock lock design ever created.
Last edited by Xplorer on Mon Nov 23, 2020 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:spyder: Spyderco fan and collector since 1991. :spyder:
Father of 2, nature explorer, custom knife maker.
@ckc_knifemaker on Instagram.
blades&wrenches

Post by blades&wrenches »

Haven’t been able to get much play out of any of the Natives or Chaparrals I’ve owned.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

vivi wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:42 pm
Evil D wrote:

I'd expect the Chap to be even better since it has liners and an internal stop pin too.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Chaparral here, haven’t got a native to develop any yet.... but I’m trying :p
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

My LC200N Pac Salt 2 has that Seki lock rock. A tight hammer grip will slightly depress the lock bar on my Siren allowing some vertical closing play. I have two Byrds. A Hawk bill and a Cara Cara 2 Rescue. They lock up like vaults even when really leaning on them. Zero play. The Cara Cara 2 Rescue is also Spydie flickable and drop shutty. Go figure.
Holland

Post by Holland »

vivi wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:42 pm
Evil D wrote:
The Taiwan lockbacks cheat with the internal stop pins. Feels the same as any other lock that has a stop pin.

The USA lockbacks have a way more refined higher quality lock compared to Japan, but I still can force some play in my siren and N5s if I try to cut a block of cheese in half for example
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Easy peasy. Both my backlocks are play free.

Native 5 G10 (which mind you is a bladeswap) and the ladybug
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

What I seem to read is that it just depends on the knife. Some are going to have a little play (perhaps most) and some are not going to have any. That fits with these knives being made by humans. Things are rarely perfect. I have a teal Endura with no up and down play but it has a little bit of side to side. My older gray Endura has no side to side, and no noticeable up and down until I push hard on a cutting board, and then it is lock rock. My Native 5 and my Chaparrals do not move at all. My new forest green Delica has no up and down and the only side to side I can induce also flexes the handle, so that is a lot of pressure and it is really flex, not play.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:57 pm
I don’t understand how folks can say that Japanese knives lack blade play. It has been quite noticeable on every one of the dozens that I have owned.
After reading this and a small part of Chad's explanation (before he edited) of how back locks have to have some play even if it can't be perceived I decided I needed to look closely at my Spyderco back locks. I checked over 25 knives (including several Japanese models) and most of them had no perceivable side-to-side or vertical play. But..I was checking by hand. I'd check side-to-side by gripping the blade near the tip and vertical by pulling up on the Spydie hole. I felt a very small wiggle on a few including a couple FRN dragonflies and two Calys. None had any play that was quite noticeable. Then I read Holland's comment about forcing some play when cutting through a cheese block (haha). Not having a cheese block handy I decided to use a hardwood block that I keep on my work bench. I pressed the blades straight down into the block and I could feel a tiny amount of vertical movement on most of the knives including a few of my Native 5 LWs. However, some knives I couldn't see or feel any movement. My Sage 4, various Natives, Chaps, and even some of my Delicas were surprisingly solid

A couple of thoughts that some may disagree with. I don't really consider a tiny, almost imperceivable, amount of lock rock to actually be blade play. The tang is forcing the lock bar to move. Also, if I have to lean on a knife hard enough to feel that tiny amount of lock rock either the blade is too dull or I'm using the wrong tool for the cutting task. JMHO
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:21 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:57 pm
After reading this and a small part of Chad's explanation (before he edited) of how back locks have to have some play even if it can't be perceived I decided I needed to look closely at my Spyderco back locks. I checked over 25 knives (including several Japanese models) and most of them had no perceivable side-to-side or vertical play. But..I was checking by hand. I'd check side-to-side by gripping the blade near the tip and vertical by pulling up on the Spydie hole. I felt a very small wiggle on a few including a couple FRN dragonflies and two Calys. None had any play that was quite noticeable. Then I read Holland's comment about forcing some play when cutting through a cheese block (haha). Not having a cheese block handy I decided to use a hardwood block that I keep on my work bench. I pressed the blades straight down into the block and I could feel a tiny amount of vertical movement on most of the knives including a few of my Native 5 LWs. However, some knives I couldn't see or feel any movement. My Sage 4, various Natives, Chaps, and even some of my Delicas were surprisingly solid

A couple of thoughts that some may disagree with. I don't really consider a tiny, almost imperceivable, amount of lock rock to actually be blade play. The tang is forcing the lock bar to move. Also, if I have to lean on a knife hard enough to feel that tiny amount of lock rock either the blade is too dull or I'm using the wrong tool for the cutting task. JMHO

- Was this the long post containing pics where someone explained why backlocks have to have at least a tiny amount of play technically? I wanted to read it later, but when I found the time it was gone... ? Why? Would have really been interested.. :(

- Yes, in most of my backlocks I can provoke a bit of vertical play / lock rock also only when I press down the blades on a hard surface (cutting board). Then it is there (more like lock rock), but nothing that bothers me at all. In theory though I can understand that some people might feel that a 100% solid lock feels like more quality, in practical use I can´t see though why this tiny amount of forced play should be an issue at all (but certainly respect if some just don´t like it).

- And again, whatever I do I just can´t feel or force any vertical movement in my Chap. As said many times already, this thing is not a delicate "office- / gents" knife at all, but a little tank with a lasercutter-blade... :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I read it, and have no idea why it was deleted.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cabfrank wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:06 am
I read it, and have no idea why it was deleted.
It was actually deleted ? :confused:
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

VooDooChild wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:11 am

It doesnt matter to me. Mid backlock is still my favorite lock and there is never enough play to bother me. ... it is certainly good enough for my uses.
This sums up my experience.

I guess the Sebenzas made a name for themselves with the people who worry about this sort of thing. I prefer Enduras and Sirens.
Brock O Lee

Post by Brock O Lee »

I have 5x Native 5’s, 4 are rock solid, one has a tiny bit of play.

No play on the ti Chaparral.

2x Caly 3’s, Delica, Salt 1 have some play, but is acceptable.

1x Dragonfly and 1x Ladybug developed significant play over a short time.
Hans

Favourite Spydies: Military, PM2, Shaman, UKPK
Others: Victorinox Pioneer, CRK L Sebenza 31, CRK L Inkosi
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

shunsui wrote:
Tue Nov 24, 2020 2:36 am
VooDooChild wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:11 am

It doesnt matter to me. Mid backlock is still my favorite lock and there is never enough play to bother me. ... it is certainly good enough for my uses.
This sums up my experience.

I guess the Sebenzas made a name for themselves with the people who worry about this sort of thing. I prefer Enduras and Sirens.
Even sebenzas have lock bar flex. It's inherent to the frame lock. As for backlock spydies, I have a Native Chief and I can't perceive any blade play. Solid as a rock!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

I'm trying to understand where does the blade play, some of you talk of, comes from.

When you press the knife down, these are the forces that should come from pressing the blade on a hard surface.

The blade itself is pushing the lockbar, and trying to pop out the pivot at the same time.

Looking at the construction, it would be understandable that it would have some vertical play when you force it down, due to the construction, but I don't see where it could go up.