Improved backlocks

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
cali

Improved backlocks

Post by cali »

Hi
The backlock in Chaparral is absolutely the best one I ever handled. It is significantly improved compared to Endura/Delica family. What other Spyderco knives have the same lock?
Wartstein

Re: Improved backlocks

Post by Wartstein »

The Chaparral backlock features an internal stop pin, this will certainly contribute to its amazing function.
I am not aware of any other Spyderco that has a stop pin too, but there might very well be one/some.

Another backlock that is executed even better than the usual Sekibacklocks (which are perfectly fine already!) is the one of the Native.
Don´t know what exactly they improved there, perhaps just make it with even narrower tolerances?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

None that I am awere of.
Chaparral is the only backlock that has stop pin as well.
There are others framelocks and compression locks with internal stop pins, but only this backlock.

Is a needed feature? Probably not, tons on backlock functions the same way without it.
Is it nice to have feature? Yes, stop pin is another additional bearing point for the force, and it could more or less eliminate vertical blade play.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

They seem to be doing just fine without the stop pin, I have two Native 5 lightweights that lock up like a vault and even being linerless lightweights they have no blade play which is really amazing to me. That said I would be all for adding that stop pin just for good measure, but with one requirement...I don't like the ones that have the "pin path" ground out of the tang (Southard for example), I much prefer having the pin pass through the tang and it's path being in the liners. Something about the cutout on the tang bothers me. I believe the Chaparral has it the way I'm talking about.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

In my case the difference in backlocks is not useful or noticeable. I'm fine with my Seki locks and equally as fine with my Golden made ones. Arguing about which is better to me is not something I'd take a stand on or care about. I have Seki knives that go back to my first one that I bought in 92 and all of them are still serviceable and seem to get smoother with use. My Golden made ones begin with the first 440V then s30V Natives. I don't recall when I first got others like the Manix.

Perhaps it's a case of me not having pushed them to near destruction but for hours of carry and years of use I've got a lifetime of use from them and if needed my son could use them and pass them on to his kids one day. :) They can be broken but in my case they haven't worn out.
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'd like to see either an internal stop pin or Native 5 lock engineering rolled out across all Spyderco lockbacks.

I'm fine with them as they are, but if they can be made better why not do it?
:unicorn
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Price could be a reason to keep using the older, simpler back lock design.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I haven’t had any problems with any of my Spyderco back locks.

That said, I have GOT to stop reading this forum! I’m starting to become interested in getting a Chaparral LWT. Even if it does have a wire clip. But I’m limiting my non-essential spending now.

Jim
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

The stop pin that goes all the way through the blade tang should make the blade weaker versus the milled path way. Likely the difference is so little as to not matter.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

James Y wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:49 pm

That said, I have GOT to stop reading this forum! I’m starting to become interested in getting a Chaparral LWT. Even if it does have a wire clip. But I’m limiting my non-essential spending now.

Jim
Oh man... you really should get one, not only for the lock and superb built quality, but even more so for the superthin (for a Spydie) XHP blade... :rolleyes:

But I guess you knew already I'd recommend this...;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

James Y wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 12:49 pm
I haven’t had any problems with any of my Spyderco back locks.

Jim
I'm tempted too, even though I have no need for a smaller knife than a Pacific Salt.
:unicorn
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Wartstein wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:41 am
I am not aware of any other Spyderco that has a stop pin too, but there might very well be one/some.
Sage 4. There may be others but that's the only other one I'm aware of
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
cali

Post by cali »

I completely forgot about the existence of the stop pin! That makes the difference (very noticeable for me)!
Native 4 looks interesting despite the lack of it :)