Delica 4 tang notch changes

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Riggz

Delica 4 tang notch changes

Post by Riggz »

Picked up a ZDP-189 Sabre Delica in BRG and noticed the detent was weaker than my other models, including my VG-10 Sabre. Upon further inspection I noticed the cutouts in the tang where the lock bar engages are quite different.

ZDP has a flatter cutout while the VG10 (and all others in my collection) have a step down cutout. I believe the step down is what gives the Delica that crisp detent. Has anyone else with the ZDP Sabre noticed a weaker detent, as well? Softer closing, missing the snap on both opening and closing?

Sharp Guy

Re: Delica 4 tang notch changes

Post by Sharp Guy »

When you say the ZDP-189/BRG model has a weaker detent are referring to when the blade is locked open or closed?

There is no actual "detent" on these. The blade is held closed by a spring (vs an actual detent & detent ball). The spring also holds the lock bar in place when locked open. Not sure what the change in the notch does (I'd love to hear from Spyderco) but I find it hard to believe that it effect how the blade snaps in place. Are you sure the spring was installed correctly? If it's facing the wrong direction or it's not sitting all the back it's slot in the back spacer that can definitely effect how strong the spring works against the lock bar.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Riggz

Post by Riggz »

It’s installed correctly. I swap scales and blades around on Delicas almost daily. This specific one’s lockbar is slightly different as is the notches than any other Delica in my collection. Noticed the softer close when I first got it. I’m pretty sure it’s the cutout difference that’s not providing the more forceful snap close than on the other blades.

I know there’s not many of the Sabre ZDP Delicas out there, hoping someone who has one can check there’s and provide insight into their action.
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

That cutout doesn't affect the close. The strength of the closing action is determined by the spring strength and the shape of the tang at the opposite end - where the lockbar is touching right before the blade is fully closed.
Oloung1

Post by Oloung1 »

ABX2011 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:48 pm
That cutout doesn't affect the close. The strength of the closing action is determined by the spring strength and the shape of the tang at the opposite end - where the lockbar is touching right before the blade is fully closed.
I agree with this as well.

Though, OP, it appears your ZDP tang bottom (near the side of the kick) is more rounded than your VG10 tang. I think that is part of what your are feeling on the "softer" close as the action tension is more linear than the VG10 tang, where it has more of a perpendicular bottom to give it more of a push on the last few mm of the close.

Also, IIRC, my vg10 combo edge has the lockbar notches that resembles your ZDP. I'll check again on the next cleaning.
araneae

Post by araneae »

ABX2011 wrote:
Correct.

Worth noting, if you switch blades, you should swap the lockbar with it. They are a pair and may not function as well with a different blade/bar combo.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Riggz

Post by Riggz »

Oloung1 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:31 pm
ABX2011 wrote:
I agree with this as well.

Though, OP, it appears your ZDP tang bottom (near the side of the kick) is more rounded than your VG10 tang. I think that is part of what your are feeling on the "softer" close as the action tension is more linear than the VG10 tang, where it has more of a perpendicular bottom to give it more of a push on the last few mm of the close.

Also, IIRC, my vg10 combo edge has the lockbar notches that resembles your ZDP. I'll check again on the next cleaning.
Thank you all for the comments. I’m thinking you’re on to something with the rounded tang bottom. I’ve tried a different spring and didn’t change the feel. I know spyderco makes running changes on models with the Delica being of of those that’s had it’s fair share of iterations. Not sure this particular model ever had the firm snap close or if it’s just mine.

Appreciate the responses and trouble shooting
Riggz

Post by Riggz »

araneae wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:42 pm
ABX2011 wrote:
Correct.

Worth noting, if you switch blades, you should swap the lockbar with it. They are a pair and may not function as well with a different blade/bar combo.
Agreed! Learned this lesson the hard way on manix blades and their hardware.
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

If you want to improve the action you could always fit a titanium (or other metal) back spacer.
Riggz

Post by Riggz »

w3tnz wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:38 pm
If you want to improve the action you could always fit a titanium (or other metal) back spacer.
Not a ure that would help here. Unless you think the spring is getting sloppy in the plastic backspacer? I’ve swapped this blade into a few different factory scales and it’s the same problem. But...for the sake of trying everything, I have a brass backspacer that I’ll try.
Riggz

Post by Riggz »

Swapped the brass backspacer in and it didn’t improve the action. I have to think that the prior owner who says the knife is Like New, must have done a swap and mixed up the lockbar and/or spring. I’m pretty good at moving the parts over with the blade when I do my own swaps. Otherwise this particular model run of Zdp sabres just had a weak @ss action.
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Riggz wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:20 pm
Swapped the brass backspacer in and it didn’t improve the action. I have to think that the prior owner who says the knife is Like New, must have done a swap and mixed up the lockbar and/or spring. I’m pretty good at moving the parts over with the blade when I do my own swaps. Otherwise this particular model run of Zdp sabres just had a weak @ss action.
Oh ok thats a shame, I fitted a titanium back spacers to one of my delica’s and it made the action much snappier, I figured it was removing some of the flex of the frn back spacer. I guess you could try tweak the spring very carefully to give it some more tension.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

The difference likely has to do with how much harder ZDP is than VG10 and how they're laser cut.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

Riggz wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:20 pm
If you look at the cut outs the vg10 is offset more from the pivot centerline compared to the zdp189. That might have more of an effect than the depth of the cutout.