Custom Manix 2 scales

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Josh Crutchley

Custom Manix 2 scales

Post by Josh Crutchley »

I'm working on some carbon fiber with blue g10 liner scales. I want to get new screws and lanyard tube. There seems to be an abundance of pm2 tubes but not so much for the manix 2. I have found some but was wondering if the pm2 lanyard tube would fit the manix 2?
TomAiello

Re: Custom Manix 2 scales

Post by TomAiello »

Why don't you want to use the factory tube? Are you looking to change the color?
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

I'm just looking to upgrade to titanium hardware.
JMM

Post by JMM »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:27 pm
I'm working on some carbon fiber with blue g10 liner scales. I want to get new screws and lanyard tube. There seems to be an abundance of pm2 tubes but not so much for the manix 2. I have found some but was wondering if the pm2 lanyard tube would fit the manix 2?
The Manix2 tube is different than the PM2 tube. I have ordered 3 (blue, green, and bronze) from this seller and they are all excellent. He's in Australia so it takes a couple weeks for them to arrive, but they are well worth the wait IMO.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Spyderco-Manix ... SwTaxc~89b
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

I did a test fit to make sure everything fit up. This is the first folding knife Im attempting to make scales for so Im just using left over material from projects. I still need to do the outer profile of the handle there is a generous overhang. I need to make some kind of template to sand up to. There is so much jimping I cant use the steel liners as guides or they would just get torn up by my belt sander. I dont want to use the orginal scales because I want to keep them in good condition. Making that template/sacrificial scale is next on the list. The pics are of the first fit up so im not wasting time shaping the scales. Everything seems fine so far. The lanyard tube is loose but Im going to expand the ends like the factory does.
Attachments
20201123_192415_resize_96.jpg
20201123_192344_resize_80.jpg
20201123_192340_resize_24.jpg
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Joshcrutchley1 wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 6:48 pm
I need to make some kind of template to sand up to.
I used a liner from my 'donor' s30v Manix. Worked great. :)

Do you use/like the lanyard tube?
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

If you are making scales for yourself, it seems that you could use any lanyard tube you want, or even just leave it out.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I think that if you leave it out, you will need to create some alternate stand off (or backspacer) down at that end. But that shouldn't be too hard. You could just cut a blue g-10 dowel to match the blue liners, and stick it in the lanyard position.

And if you want the lanyard tube, you need to fit the liners, so the factory tube (or something identical) would definitely be easiest.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:08 pm
I think that if you leave it out, you will need to create some alternate stand off (or backspacer) down at that end. But that shouldn't be too hard. You could just cut a blue g-10 dowel to match the blue liners, and stick it in the lanyard position.

And if you want the lanyard tube, you need to fit the liners, so the factory tube (or something identical) would definitely be easiest.
To be honest I have a LW Manix 2 on the way and wanted to make a hybrid of sorts. If you look at how the LW is put together it uses a small 8 shaped piece for the pivot support/bushing surface. My plan is to take thicker CF and mill out the pocket for that pivot support. Then use screws and stand offs like the G10 model with no back spacer or metal liners. Not sure how it will work out but both where bought well used so no real loss. I of course will keep all original parts just in case.
Edit
I don't use the lanyard hole on any of my knives but thought it wouldn't look right without it. The g10 manix is just held together at the bottom by the tube. The LW doesn't have a metal tube so it has a pin just past its plastic tube.