How I operate the Compression Lock as a Leftie

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
nerdlock

How I operate the Compression Lock as a Leftie

Post by nerdlock »

With another thread recently discussing the left-handed PM2 as well as left-handed user's opinions with left-handed compression lock operation, I made a video showing how I open and close my compression lock knives.

As much as I'd love to have a lefty compression lock, the fact that we are limited to stock S30V and deprived of other steel and scale options makes it a hard pill to swallow, so we lefties have no choice but to adapt to the standard format.

My personal method of operating the lock involves clipping the knife between my index and remaining fingers, leaving the thumb free to press the lock. With my index finger pressing firmly against the right scale where the compression lock is located, I have a more secure purchase on the knife and none of my fingers are potentially within the way when the blade closes shut.

I hope it will give other lefties another option on how to use the compression lock with your left hand only. Cheers!

https://youtu.be/uRys0rorPgo
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
vivi

Re: How I operate the Compression Lock as a Leftie

Post by vivi »

That seems tricky.

I just press the lock release with my thumb and nudge the blade partially closed with my index finger, then move my fingers out of the way and finish closing.

I'll edit this post with a video after work.

https://streamable.com/152p5f

Easier with, well, any other comp lock knife. Szabos have very stiff action.
:unicorn
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I put my index fingertip in the Spyderhole and operate the release with my thumb. Are my other fingers in the path of the edge? Probably, but I have the blade under positive control with my index finger all the time, so I have plenty of time to move any flesh out of harm's way.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

nerdlock wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 7:27 pm
With another thread recently discussing the left-handed PM2 as well as left-handed user's opinions with left-handed compression lock operation, I made a video showing how I open and close my compression lock knives.
yablanowitz wrote: I put my index fingertip in the Spyderhole and operate the release with my thumb. Are my other fingers in the path of the edge? Probably, but I have the blade under positive control with my index finger all the time, so I have plenty of time to move any flesh out of harm's way.

Pretty cool and unusual way to operate a comp. lock, Nerdlock! :)

Generally I guess how one likes to operate a lock depends a lot on in what scenarios a knife is used (and of course just on what one happened to get used to).

So just for me your method (though cool and creative!) would not be my preferred one, just cause I personally never got the "fingers (have to be) out of the blade path"- thing, but find it much more important in my use that the knife as a whole sits secure in the hand concerning accidently dropping it (especially in outdoor, wet, cold...conditions).
So with your method, all the fingers are out of the bladepath, but the knife does not seem to sit in the hand overly secure (not a big issue in warm, dry, conditions!)
On the flipside, with you method IF I put ringfinger and pinky underneath the handle to get a more secure grip (and by that put them in the blade path), there is no finger left that could keep "the blade under positive control" as yablanowitz says. And one disadvantage of most comp.lock knives is: One really wants that blade control if fingers are in harms way, since the blade tends to be a lot more floppy and does not reliably stay in half closed position, as it would be with backlock and CBBL.

Generally I am one who also automatically seems to come up with various, sometimes unusual methods of operating any lock (as you know since you replied in my "6 ways of closing a CBBL"-thread viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87806) - and I use them quite randomly, but have a preference for those that are more likely to keep the whole knife secure in the hand.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Pancake

Post by Pancake »

nerdlock wrote:

My personal method of operating the lock ...
That was the coolest thing that I saw all day! :D
I tried it and it is soooo cool :D and quite efficient too.
In the pocket: Chaparral FRN, Native Chief, Police 4 K390, Pacific Salt SE, Manix 2 G10 REX45
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

nerdlock wrote:
...My personal method of operating the lock involves clipping the knife between my index and remaining fingers, leaving the thumb free to press the lock. With my index finger pressing firmly against the right scale where the compression lock is located, I have a more secure purchase on the knife and none of my fingers are potentially within the way when the blade closes shut.
As a fellow lefty, a thread title like this certainly got me curious. The technique looked a bit awkward to me, in the video. However, after trying it out for the past week, I have to admit that it works rather well. It certainly works a lot better than it might look in the video. I don't think I'll switch my existing technique, after all those years of muscle memory. But I really appreciate you sharing this alternate method, thanks!
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

vivi wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:20 pm
That seems tricky.

I just press the lock release with my thumb and nudge the blade partially closed with my index finger, then move my fingers out of the way and finish closing.

I'll edit this post with a video after work.

https://streamable.com/152p5f

Easier with, well, any other comp lock knife. Szabos have very stiff action.

Thanks for sharing! Yes, it first seems tricky, but with practice it will seem natural - at least for me, your mileage may vary. :)

I can do my closing technique even when not looking at the knife these days, very handy when I am on a ladder or scaffolding and I need my other hand for support.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

yablanowitz wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:18 pm
I put my index fingertip in the Spyderhole and operate the release with my thumb. Are my other fingers in the path of the edge? Probably, but I have the blade under positive control with my index finger all the time, so I have plenty of time to move any flesh out of harm's way.

I actually do that method, but to one knife only in my collection, the Lil' Temperance 3. It's probably the most non-dropfree-est of the compression locks I have so another method like this has to suffice.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:17 pm
nerdlock wrote:
yablanowitz wrote: I put my index fingertip in the Spyderhole and operate the release with my thumb. Are my other fingers in the path of the edge? Probably, but I have the blade under positive control with my index finger all the time, so I have plenty of time to move any flesh out of harm's way.

Generally I guess how one likes to operate a lock depends a lot on in what scenarios a knife is used (and of course just on what one happened to get used to).

So just for me your method (though cool and creative!) would not be my preferred one, just cause I personally never got the "fingers (have to be) out of the blade path"- thing, but find it much more important in my use that the knife as a whole sits secure in the hand concerning accidently dropping it (especially in outdoor, wet, cold...conditions).
So with your method, all the fingers are out of the bladepath, but the knife does not seem to sit in the hand overly secure (not a big issue in warm, dry, conditions!)
On the flipside, with you method IF I put ringfinger and pinky underneath the handle to get a more secure grip (and by that put them in the blade path), there is no finger left that could keep "the blade under positive control" as yablanowitz says. And one disadvantage of most comp.lock knives is: One really wants that blade control if fingers are in harms way, since the blade tends to be a lot more floppy and does not reliably stay in half closed position, as it would be with backlock and CBBL.

Generally I am one who also automatically seems to come up with various, sometimes unusual methods of operating any lock (as you know since you replied in my "6 ways of closing a CBBL"-thread https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87806) - and I use them quite randomly, but have a preference for those that are more likely to keep the whole knife secure in the hand.

Actually, in my case, this method is the most secure, since I get to "pinch" or wedge the knife between my index and middle finger, while my ring finger and pinkie finger supports the left side of the handle, leaving the thumb free to operate the lock. I get 3 fingers on the left side and one finger and thumb on the other. It takes practice but it has been effective for me so far.

Again, this is just an option for lefties and not a standard...we only have 5 fingers so we make do with what we have. lol.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Pancake wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:14 am
nerdlock wrote:

My personal method of operating the lock ...
That was the coolest thing that I saw all day! :D
I tried it and it is soooo cool :D and quite efficient too.

Thanks! I hope it can be an option for closing your compression locks too. :)
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Mr Blonde wrote:
Sun Nov 29, 2020 8:30 am
nerdlock wrote:
...My personal method of operating the lock involves clipping the knife between my index and remaining fingers, leaving the thumb free to press the lock. With my index finger pressing firmly against the right scale where the compression lock is located, I have a more secure purchase on the knife and none of my fingers are potentially within the way when the blade closes shut.
As a fellow lefty, a thread title like this certainly got me curious. The technique looked a bit awkward to me, in the video. However, after trying it out for the past week, I have to admit that it works rather well. It certainly works a lot better than it might look in the video. I don't think I'll switch my existing technique, after all those years of muscle memory. But I really appreciate you sharing this alternate method, thanks!

Thank you also Mr. Blonde! Truly an inspiration among collectors here in the forum and especially among us lefties, I am honored.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

nerdlock wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 12:48 am
Wartstein wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:17 pm
nerdlock wrote:
yablanowitz wrote:

Generally I am one who also automatically seems to come up with various, sometimes unusual methods of operating any lock (as you know since you replied in my "6 ways of closing a CBBL"-thread https://forum.spyderco.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87806) - and I use them quite randomly, but have a preference for those that are more likely to keep the whole knife secure in the hand.

Actually, in my case, this method is the most secure, since I get to "pinch" or wedge the knife between my index and middle finger, while my ring finger and pinkie finger supports the left side of the handle, leaving the thumb free to operate the lock. I get 3 fingers on the left side and one finger and thumb on the other. It takes practice but it has been effective for me so far.

Again, this is just an option for lefties and not a standard...we only have 5 fingers so we make do with what we have. lol.
If I (as a Righty) had a LEFT handed comp.lock knife, this most likely would become one of my closing methods too (that is now that you showed it to me of course)! :)

Generally I always seem to come up with several one handed operation methods inevitably just from frequently using folders. But since I am not a comp.lock guy and owned/own only three comp.lock knives, not so much with this lock type.

My main operation methods concerning all main lock types (backlock, CBBL, comp.lock, liner/frame lock) though are somehow always the ones where some fingers actually remain wrapped around the handle, while the "fingers out of the blade path" never was a thing for me - just personal preference.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

Looks like the southpaws are engaging this morning :)
Looking at the video, that method of closing seems really unpractical, with pretty high possibily of the knife dropping if not in controlled conditions.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

pantagana23 wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 2:59 am
Looks like the southpaws are engaging this morning :)
Looking at the video, that method of closing seems really unpractical, with pretty high possibily of the knife dropping if not in controlled conditions.

Thank you for the observations. :) Using this method, even while just starting up and practicing slowly, I have never ever dropped any of my compression locks this way. Not even my very slim Ikuchi. Any other way of closing the compression lock left handed, I have had many close calls of falling. The "pinching" action between the middle and index finger makes it more resistant to accidental slippage unless you are really sloppy in holding the knife this way. It takes practice - I know it took me days to really master the technique and do it without looking.
Josh Crutchley

Post by Josh Crutchley »

I think the method Vivi uses would work for me. I'm still working on the finger flick deployment. Hopefully I can score some kind of compression lock at the seconds sale. They're too pricey to just find out I don't like it.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I do it similar to how I close a Spyderco back lock. Hold the handle like I do normally, push the lock bar over with my thumb, let the finger choil area of the blade drop onto my finger, then close it the rest of the way with my thumb. If the blade doesn't drop then I guide the blade down with my thumb.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
anycal

Post by anycal »

Not a lefty, but practice left handed tasks just in case, and for fun. There were few times when I had to hold something with my right hand and cut with left. So these thigs are useful.

Until now, I have been doing compression locks (mainly PM2) left handed as Sharp Guy - drop onto the index finger like a back lock.

But this pinch method is pretty cool, and after a few tries I have no concerns about the knife slipping out of my hand.
Peter
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

nerdlock wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:16 am
Thank you for the observations. :) Using this method, even while just starting up and practicing slowly, I have never ever dropped any of my compression locks this way. Not even my very slim Ikuchi. Any other way of closing the compression lock left handed, I have had many close calls of falling. The "pinching" action between the middle and index finger makes it more resistant to accidental slippage unless you are really sloppy in holding the knife this way. It takes practice - I know it took me days to really master the technique and do it without looking.
Looking at your response, sorry if I seemed disrespectful or trolling, no harm meant.

I meant that it looks unpractical because you reall have to squeeze index and middle finger if you don't want the knife to slide out in case you don't squeeze enough.

But seems it works fine for you.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

pantagana23 wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 11:30 am
nerdlock wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 7:16 am
Looking at your response, sorry if I seemed disrespectful or trolling, no harm meant.

I meant that it looks unpractical because you reall have to squeeze index and middle finger if you don't want the knife to slide out in case you don't squeeze enough.

But seems it works fine for you.

None taken! I actually did not see it as being disrespectful or anything like that. Like I said, it looks wonky that way, but with practice, it may come as second nature as an alternative compression lock operation for lefties.
navin johnson

Post by navin johnson »

Left thumb while using a conventional grip...... then use my index finger to catch the choil...... Is there something I'm missing?