POLL: More Atlantic Salt versions (leafshape, drop point...) based on its already existing, very "pm2-ish" handle?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Interested in more blade shapes/Salt knives based on the (very pm2-ish) Atlantic Salt handle?

- Yes I´d like to see a Salt knife with a"manix-ish" leaf shape blade on the Atlantic Salt handle
30%
- Yes I´d like to see a Salt knife with a "pm2-ish" drop point blade on the Atlantic Salt handle
22%
- Yes I´d like to see a Salt knife with a true wharncliff blade on the Atlantic Salt handle
18%
- Yes, I´d like to see a Salt knife with another not mentioned blade shape on the Atlantic Salt handle
9%
- No, I am just interested in the already existing sheepsfoot Atlantic Salt
7%
- No, I am not interested in any potential Salt knife based on the Atlantic Salt handle
14%

Total votes: 94

Wartstein

POLL: More Atlantic Salt versions (leafshape, drop point...) based on its already existing, very "pm2-ish" handle?

Post by Wartstein »

(Resurrected thread from 2020)

Many people obviously wish for more (LC200N) Salt knives, often for mid size PM2-, Stretch-, Endela-sized ones.
One thing Spyderco probably has to consider in that regard are the costs for new FRN molds.

Now: Actually it looks like they already DO have the molds for perfect mid-to-large-sized Salt knives:
The Atlantic Salt handle!
See comparison pics below, looks very much like a PM2 handle with the potential added bonus/comfort of the FRN chamfering. The Atlantic is also a bit more compact/shorter (Closed length Atlantic vs PM2: 4.59 vs 4.81) while essentially still offering the same grip area and can house blades at least up to 3.68".

Now why not just give that handle a more common LC200N blade additionally to the existing sheepsfoot version?
Considering choil, backlock and handle shape, this could come pretty close to a Salt Stretch for example.

What do you think? Multiple votes possible!

Last edited by Wartstein on Mon Feb 20, 2023 11:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
VooDooChild

Re: POLL: More Atlantic Salt versions (leafshape, drop point...) based on its already existing, very "pm2-ish" handle?

Post by VooDooChild »

Its a good handle, but I dont love it.

Now if the endura 4 would just lose those points...
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
The Deacon

Re: POLL: More Atlantic Salt versions (leafshape, drop point...) based on its already existing, very "pm2-ish" handle?

Post by The Deacon »

I'd probably buy one of each of the shapes mentioned but, to be honest, I'm not terribly excited by any of them. I'd be a lot more enthusiastic about a leaf bladed version of the Stretch. For one thing, I don't "need" a totally rust proof knife every day but, perhaps more importantly, because the one piece Atlantic handle makes customizing difficult and expensive compared to finding new scales for the Stretch. I've never bought into Sal's philosophy that "A tractor doesn't have to look like a Ferrari".
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

This idea is very closely approaching what would basically be a Stretch Salt.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I'd likely be interested. I have almost purchased an Atlantic Salt a couple of times, as i think i would really like the handle. I don't need the shackle key, but that's ok.

If they did put a leaf or drop point (a la Stretch) blade into the AS handle, it would be cool for it to have a more negative blade angle (than the current AS).
Last edited by Enactive on Sat Nov 21, 2020 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

The Deacon wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 4:41 am
I'd probably buy one of each of the shapes mentioned but, to be honest, I'm not terribly excited by any of them. I'd be a lot more enthusiastic about a leaf bladed version of the Stretch. For one thing, I don't "need" a totally rust proof knife every day but, perhaps more importantly, because the one piece Atlantic handle makes customizing difficult and expensive compared to finding new scales for the Stretch. I've never bought into Sal's philosophy that "A tractor doesn't have to look like a Ferrari".

I am totally with you in that I also really don´t need a totally rust proof knife. The thing I personally like in the Seki Salt line is the very light weight. Does not matter most of the time, but is nice to have in very light garment pockets or when mountaineering and wanting the carryload as light as possible.

But: Generally there seems to be a lot of desire for LC200N Salt knives, and by using the Atlantic Salt handle Spyderco could give people what they want without taking the financial risk of making new FRN molds... just by giving the existing handle a different blade (shape).
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:09 am

Or, depending on the blade shape, a backlock PM2 Salt (though I´ll admit: A PM2 is only a real PM2 with a comp. lock).
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Enactive wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:45 am
I'd likely be interested. I have almost purchased an Atlantic Salt a couple of times, as i think i would really like the handle. I don't need the shackle key, but that's ok.

I don´t need a shackle key either and actually never really took notice of it.

But thinking about it now: If it does not impair the ergos (and I don´t think it does?), it is at least no disadvantage to have it and actually could potentially come in handy sometimes - though really not a selling point, the key makes the Atlantic Salt handle a tiny bit "multitool-ish" ;)

Of course this shackle key is not made of metal, but FRN, but still could be used to "grab", turn, (un-)screw not only shackles but also screw-nuts or levers to some extend.. (see this vid for example, shows some uses for shackle keys (though more for marlin spikes) https://youtu.be/O-2Z2YJGcDg)

Again, of course I would not buy an Atlantic Salt knife for the shackle key, but it would not bother me to have one either... and perhaps I´d even use it...once every two years or so... ;)
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Just from an aesthetic standpoint I don’t like the volcano texture. But I do love the handle profile. It would be great seeing this model evolve with more blade options.

But I would be just as happy if not happier with a salt manix lw, a salt para 3 lw, and a salt sage 5 lw
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Lumpy

Post by Lumpy »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 10:09 am
Yes, this. This is what I wish for. Straight spine stretch salt...

...In vanax :D
Zenith

Post by Zenith »

Stretch Salt would be nice, the Atlantic Salt with a Manix or true wharncliffe would be my favorite.
Blnd

Post by Blnd »

An Atlantic salt stays clipped to my Sailing harness. The size, blade shape, steel, and shackle key are perfect.

Plenty of other knives in the PM2 realm to futz with. Leave the Atlantic salt as a great dive and sailing/boating knife.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Blnd wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:05 pm
An Atlantic salt stays clipped to my Sailing harness. The size, blade shape, steel, and shackle key are perfect.

Plenty of other knives in the PM2 realm to futz with. Leave the Atlantic salt as a great dive and sailing/boating knife.
Taking the Atlantic handle and giving it a differently shaped blade of course would not mean actually replacing the existing sheepsfoot version!!
The idea here is just:
- Many people want Salt knives and/or many people want light knives - and many in the Atlantic/PM2 size range.
- Creating a totally new FRN handle (and molds for it!) seemingly is pretty expensive and a potential financial risk for Spyderco
- So this is more about perhaps partly taking that risk out of the game and just use the already existing molds for a probably great handle to bring a "middle ground" sized Seki Salt knife with an a bit more common blade shape to the market.

Just a thought of course. I have no idea what Spyderco has to consider marketing- or designwise when thinking about a potential new model.
Blnd

Post by Blnd »

Wartstein wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:28 pm
Blnd wrote:

Taking the Atlantic handle and giving it a differently shaped blade of course would not mean actually replacing the existing sheepsfoot version!!
The idea here is just:
- Many people want Salt knives and/or many people want light knives - and many in the Atlantic/PM2 size range.
- Creating a totally new FRN handle (and molds for it!) seemingly is pretty expensive and a potential financial risk for Spyderco
- So this is more about perhaps partly taking that risk out of the game and just use the already existing molds for a probably great handle to bring a "middle ground" sized Seki Salt knife with an a bit more common blade shape to the market.

Just a thought of course. I have no idea what Spyderco has to consider marketing- or designwise when thinking about a potential new model.
PM2 lightweight and call it good?
Last edited by Blnd on Mon Nov 23, 2020 5:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
embry386

Post by embry386 »

I love this handle and would be very interested in any alternate bladeshapes that utilize it. It's very similar to the handle of my '98 Rescue, aside from the shackle key, and the '98 Rescue is the ergonomically best of all the Spydercos I've had a chance to check out.

I'd be happiest to see it in a sort of modified sheepsfoot, reverse tanto, or wharncliffe, with a slight belly, because I've found that to be the most useful shape for general EDC tasks. Full-flat ground of course. So few Spydies have this kind of slight belly and that's a bit annoying because it's such an awesome and useful shape. The profile I'm talking about is sort of like the Kershaw Leek -- mostly wharncliffe, but just enough belly to add a lot of utility.
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

Whilst I voted yes, I’d much rather see a flat ground, stainless, leaf or drop point blade in the Rescue 79 / Salt Saver chassis. I no longer really carry or use knives in excess of 3.25 inch blade length outside of the kitchen.
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

embry386 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:12 pm
...Snip ..

I'd be happiest to see it in a sort of modified sheepsfoot, reverse tanto, or wharncliffe, with a slight belly, because I've found that to be the most useful shape for general EDC tasks. Full-flat ground of course. So few Spydies have this kind of slight belly and that's a bit annoying because it's such an awesome and useful shape. The profile I'm talking about is sort of like the Kershaw Leek -- mostly wharncliffe, but just enough belly to add a lot of utility.
This!!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Blnd wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:08 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Blnd wrote:
PM2 lightweight and call it good?

Well, I am pretty sue that there will be a PM2 LW eventually (and tbh also that a majority (not me though) will prefer it over a potential Atlantic Salt with a more or less pm2-ish blade shape).

Still, a PM2 LW is pretty far from the idea of this thread:

1.) Most likely not a real Salt knife (at least in the first iterations). Not an issue for me, but many people seem to want particularly totally rust proof (LC200N) models.
2.) Comp. lock instead of backlock: I personally clearly prefer the backlock anyway, but I think it would be the better choice to keep the backlock if the Atlantic should stay an outdoorsy, rough-conditions knife: From a safety standpoint I personally really would rather have a backlock- and not comp.lock knife on a heavily rocking ship for example, with wet, cold fingers and perhaps gloves on
3.) The Atlantic seemingly has a very similarly shaped, but still more compact and shorter handle than the PM2 (while still housing a longer blade). I´d prefer that carry-wise
4.) Blade stock: Thinner on the Atlantic, for me a plus
5.) Seki vs Golden: Some might prefer one over the other or vice versa
6.) Again, the idea here is: Spyderco would not have to develop a new handle design and not have to invest in new molds if they brought just a leaf shape- or whatever version of the Atlantic. They could test the market response without too much financial risk...
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Blnd wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 6:08 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Blnd wrote:
What spyderco needs to do is take the awesome ergo handle of the delica 4 and make it even better on the 5 with a 50/50 Choil. It works a treat for the DF2 - now make the delica the best knife in the lineup again.
A bit off topic ;), but that´s fine.

I see you are pretty new to this forum (welcome btw!! :) ) so you might not be aware of the quite many times and threads where a "Delica 5" has been discussed (see here for example: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=80547) - and perhaps we should do this there or in a new thread should you further like to exchange thoughts on the Delica.
Just some points:

Tbh, I personally think it would ruin the Delica if it would become yet another 50:50 choil knife in that size range.
Don´t get me wrong, nothing wrong with choils, but there are already a lot of such in delica-sized Spydies (Native, Para 3, Sage 5....)

- The (quoting you) "awesome ergo handle of the delica 4" imho particularly IS like that just because it has no choil, but instead a longer, more generous actual (FRN) handle! While on knives like the Para 3 or Native 5 my L to XL hand can´t get a good four finger grip behind the choil anymore.
- Furthermore, the Delica handle places the hand closer to the edge when gripped on the FRN part, while I can still perfectly choke up on that Ricasso just like on a choil (even better/more stable than on some choils)
- You mention the DFly: Totally different story than the Delica: The DFly is much shorter and thus HAS to have a choil in order to offer enough grip area.
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

While I'd enjoy more models with LC200N, linerless construction, I think it loses something on the action side. I've found backlocks harder to operate one handed.