T8 clip screws

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
VooDooChild

T8 clip screws

Post by VooDooChild »

I never noticed until the other day but my Manix 2 backlock uses T8 torx screws. It still uses a standard spoon clip though. As far as I can tell its the same threaded inserts although I havent tried switching screws out but it looks the same.

Since there are torx screws with a T8 sized head that will still fit the standard spoon clip, why doesnt spyderco switch from the T6 to theese?

Its not a big deal, but I do find larger torx head sizes easier to deal with.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
SG89

Re: T8 clip screws

Post by SG89 »

I would prefer T8's as well. I also would prefer countersunk/flat clip screws.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

If I remember to, I usually try to find aftermarket T8 clip screws. Or just T8 replacements in general. Not only is it nice to only need one bit for disassembly, but I have never stripped a properly made T8 screw. While I have stripped or partially stripped many, many T6's. They should be relegated to small electronics.

I'd even advocate for spyderco going up a size across the board. Making existing T6's T8's and making existing T8's T10's. It's never a bad thing to add more longevity to your parts. Especially when spyderco doesn't like sending out screws...
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:55 pm

I'd even advocate for spyderco going up a size across the board. Making existing T6's T8's and making existing T8's T10's. It's never a bad thing to add more longevity to your parts. Especially when spyderco doesn't like sending out screws...
They actually do send out screws. Two times clip screws, one time pivot screw in my case.
And that is to Europe.

Worked quick and perfectly well, great customer service I have to say.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Robbob

Post by Robbob »

Wartstein wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 1:43 am
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:55 pm

They actually do send out screws. Two times clip screws, one time pivot screw in my case.
And that is to Europe.

Worked quick and perfectly well, great customer service I have to say.
I stripped a clip screw on a PM2 and asked Spyderco where I could get replacements. They asked me to send them a picture of the knife and my address. Within a week I had not only new screws in black, but also a set of stainless and some thread lock, all free-of-charge.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I may be the odd man out here, but I think that if Spyderco switched to screws with a larger Torx size head without a proportional increase in screw diameter they'd start experiencing a major increase in "stripped threads" complaints. Too many gorillas out there who think "the tighter the better".
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

On one hand I agree that bigger is usually better, on the other hand I don’t really ever take my clips off or move them.

I guess this comes down to the whole debate about disassembly. I used to take all my knives apart but I gave up on that a few years ago because it doesn’t seem necessary to me.

I also do not believe that ease of disassembly is a design criteria for spyderco but anything that reduces warranty costs is good for the bottom line so it may make business sense.

As far as aesthetics goes I think smaller would be better and I agree with SG that some countersunk heads would be nice looking.

I guess I don’t know?
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?