Kitchen Machete

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Fireman

Kitchen Machete

Post by Fireman »

Does anyone else think a 14” hybrid machete/butchers knife would be awesome? Obviously LC200N to withstand the wet jungle and kitchen environments. You can justify it as a kitchen knife but also take it out of the knife drawer and play weekend jungle survivalist. Flat grind to convex edge. Dishwasher safe handles. What is better handle material, FRN or polished micarta? Kydex sheath?
Jungle Butcher? Survival Butcher? Machef Knife? Butchete?
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
5-by-5

Re: Kitchen Machete

Post by 5-by-5 »

There's a good reason machetes steel are soft. It's also not necessary for them to be stainless. Heavily patina'd and rusty are perfectly fine.

I think you might be thinking more of a tough camp knife than a machete
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I'm not sure I'd use that kind of thing in the kitchen. But dang, I totally want to come over for your next cook out. :)
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

TomAiello wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:01 pm
I'm not sure I'd use that kind of thing in the kitchen. But dang, I totally want to come over for your next cook out. :)
Sometimes at the station we buy big slabs of beef and break it down to smaller individual packages to keep costs down. A Chefete or Machef knife makes a good brisket processing knife :D
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

5-by-5 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 4:17 pm
There's a good reason machetes steel are soft. It's also not necessary for them to be stainless. Heavily patina'd and rusty are perfectly fine.

I think you might be thinking more of a tough camp knife than a machete
I see the steel needing to be tough and LC200N has decent toughness.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

This would revolutionize my kitchen experience. No longer would chopping carrots be a dull task. Of course, it would require a lot of aggressive screaming while chopping...not sure what the neighbors would make of that.
zhyla

Post by zhyla »

When I moved out as a college kid my roommate and I didn’t have much in the way of kitchen knives. My 18” machete got used a bit until someone gave us a real knife.

I think OP misunderstands why machetes are the way they are. They’re designed for swinging. They are awesome for light brush. They make poor kitchen implements.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

While I'm all for both an expansion of spyderco's kitchen line and big dumb machetes, I'm not sure those mix. For the kitchen line I think I'd be more interested in something more kitchen oriented, like a yo-deba or something. At least a traditional saber ground one. Those are spectacular for beating on and would probably fit your needs nicely. Or even just a Chinese cleaver would also do fine. Although I've found my waterway handles all my outdoor cutting tasks just fine.

And as a few notes because I can't resist,
- There's not really such thing as dishwasher proof handles... Dishwashers and the chemicals used in them will erode or seperate anything that's not ceramic, plain plastic, silverware stainless, etc etc etc. The dishwasher spares no one.
- I think H1 would probably work better for a machete, since it's much more pliable than lc200n when ran at the usual hardness. Machetes are really meant for clearing foliage and such are they not?

Maybe I'm not understanding what you're envisioning.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Bolster wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:33 pm
This would revolutionize my kitchen experience. No longer would chopping carrots be a dull task. Of course, it would require a lot of aggressive screaming while chopping...not sure what the neighbors would make of that.
Bro just use your hands to do this. That's how I cut my carrots for lunch today.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

https://youtu.be/1NbYocm4RAU

Looking at the Bravo Machete... like this but in a stain resistant steel and no finger choil.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

:D We have a decent 12” butchers knife but just the thought of a 14” dual purpose premium steel apocalypse knife makes me smile.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

No.

I'd need a bigger kitchen. (I use a 5" camp knife.) ;)
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

https://vimeo.com/154855749?ref=em-share
Bolster wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:33 pm
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Really when you think about it isn't that what the old "meat cleavers" really were? Because to me the old meat cleavers were like a compact, super thick machete to break through bones, cartilage or any other tissue that might be a problem.

I've got a relatively newer meat cleaver made by the F. Dick Co of Germany. I've used it a couple of times at big barbeque events we've had. But to have a standard machete for food uses :confused: Not sure about that one.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I have the 7” cleaver at home. It is a beast! I need to re grind it so it is not such a blunt instrument. I love how it is a straight edge. A lot of those Old Hickory knives are being used for outdoor purposes.

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:22 pm
Really when you think about it isn't that what the old "meat cleavers" really were? Because to me the old meat cleavers were like a compact, super thick machete to break through bones, cartilage or any other tissue that might be a problem.

I've got a relatively newer meat cleaver made by the F. Dick Co of Germany. I've used it a couple of times at big barbeque events we've had. But to have a stand machete for food :confused: Not sure about that one.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Fireman wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:33 pm
I have the 7” cleaver at home. It is a beast! I need to re grind it so it is not such a blunt instrument. I love how it is a straight edge. A lot of those Old Hickory knives are being used for outdoor purposes.

JD Spydo wrote:

I've got a relatively newer meat cleaver made by the F. Dick Co of Germany. I've used it a couple of times at big barbeque events we've had. But to have a stand machete for food :confused: Not sure about that one.
Yeah Buddy!!!! that's the one I got>> well at least it looks almost the same anyway. I got mine on an Ebay auction back around 2007 for close to $15 and I couldn't go wrong with that price. It was very slightly used with maybe two small scratches. The German Cutlery Company, F. Dick is kind of a carefully hidden secret for most of the guys on this forum. I have several of the F. Dick knives, Butcher steels and a few other tools they make. And I'm here to tell you all that F. Dick is a high quality cutlery company for sure especially in the food arena. NOTE: I don't think there is anyone in the cutlery world that even comes close to the quality of F. Dick's butcher steels. I have 6 of their butcher steels in different grit patterns and two completely smooth ones and they are super tools.

They do make some handsome tools for the commercial food industry and thank you very much for putting that pic up there for us to take a hard look at. And don't you think that bad boy would qualify as a "food machete" :D ???
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

My actual kitchen machete. I only have 2 knives in my kitchen. A Santoku and this Rock.

Fireman

Post by Fireman »

5-by-5 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:02 pm
My actual kitchen machete. I only have 2 knives in my kitchen. A Santoku and this Rock.

That is a beauty!
Not exactly what I was going for though.
I would prefer no negative blade angle and a bit thinner and more nimble.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

****! what a deal!
The steel is good. I had to round out the handle a bit though. I want to add a lanyard hole to it. If I re ground it it would make a **** of a camp chopper. This butcher/“junglas” knife concept would need quite a thin blade stock to make it used at 14”
JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:41 pm
Fireman wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:33 pm

JD Spydo wrote:

Yeah Buddy!!!! that's the one I got>> well at least it looks almost the same anyway. I got mine on an Ebay auction back around 2007 for close to $15 and I couldn't go wrong with that price. It was very slightly used with maybe two small scratches. The German Cutlery Company, F. Dick is kind of a carefully hidden secret for most of the guys on this forum. I have several of the F. Dick knives, Butcher steels and a few other tools they make. And I'm here to tell you all that F. Dick is a high quality cutlery company for sure especially in the food arena. NOTE: I don't think there is anyone in the cutlery world that even comes close to the quality of F. Dick's butcher steels. I have 6 of their butcher steels in different grit patterns and two completely smooth ones and they are super tools.

They do make some handsome tools for the commercial food industry and thank you very much for putting that pic up there for us to take a hard look at. And don't you think that bad boy would qualify as a "food machete" :D ???
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

5-by-5 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:02 pm
That "Santoku" is also a great chopper of a kitchen knife. I traded mine and I now regret it. There are times that a thinner plain edged blade has it's advantages in the kitchen. I would love to see Spyderco make a meat cleaver similar to that F. Dick model that we were just talking about.

I've had my two Spyderco kitchen knives K-04 & K-05 models. I've had both of those all purpose culinary Spyderco models since about 2002 or thereabout and I've really got some miles racked up on both of them.