I love the earth tones

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

I love the earth tones

Post by Doc Dan »

Here is an example. This forest green is just great. Now we need some more earth tones.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Oloung1

Re: I love the earth tones

Post by Oloung1 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:23 am
Here is an example. This forest green is just great. Now we need some more earth tones.
How has the 204P been treating you? These were such a great combo.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Oloung1 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:29 am
Doc Dan wrote:
How has the 204P been treating you? These were such a great combo.
It has been great, so far, of course. It has not left my pocket (though I am mostly around the house). I use it everyday. KW might come out with another run of these, they sold so fast. They are planning some other Spyderco knives in this combo, too.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I like those type of colors too Doc. But I'm kind of weird in a sense because I'm one of the few people here that also like the "Nuclear" colors too. It sure makes them easy to find if you misplace them.

I remember when they were making the Golden CO NATIVE with a tan color. I always thought that was nice as well. White is one that I really don't like however because they just get dirty looking too easy.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I like bright orange, yellow, and the new green on the Salts. That makes the knives easy to find. However, for most carry knives, I like earth tones: shades of green (olive drab, FDE olive, sage, forest green, foliage green), blue (country blue, colonial blue, cadet blue, etc.), orange (burnt, persimmon, fall foliage), flat dark earth, brown (especially really dark chocolate), gray, etc.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I feel like the catalog needs more shades of brown and tan, maybe some olive colors.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Yea, tan. Lots of tan.
Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:50 pm
Yea, tan. Lots of tan.
bring that REC blade coating around the lineup perhaps..?
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:25 pm
I feel like the catalog needs more shades of brown and tan, maybe some olive colors.
^This^
Oloung1

Post by Oloung1 »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:27 am
It has been great, so far, of course. It has not left my pocket (though I am mostly around the house). I use it everyday. KW might come out with another run of these, they sold so fast. They are planning some other Spyderco knives in this combo, too.
Yea, I would be interested in the same config with the Endura.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Liquid Cobra wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:50 pm
Yea, tan. Lots of tan.
bring that REC blade coating around the lineup perhaps..?
Tan/FDE scales + black DLC/TiCN blades should sell pretty well.
bouhunter

Post by bouhunter »

Nice watch too :)
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Thanks!. It is old. You can see the hour markers are brown. I had to replace the hands and had some work done because of a leaky battery. It is around 26 years old, or so.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
AHarbuck

Post by AHarbuck »

I’m with you, Doc. Foliage green on the G10 dragonfly is my favorite so far. And my earth brown pm2. Here’s hoping for more KW forest green releases.
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Doc Dan wrote:

Not to hijack but here is my 14 y/o SMP:
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Doc, I agree. Forest green is my favorite spydie color, although I like the g10 color a little better than the frn translation. I do love the fun unique colors like purple and teal, but earthy tones in general are great.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:25 pm
I could go along with that. However I would also like to see a wider selection of the nuclear colors i.e. orange, Yellow, bright nuclear green, Teal ect, The Earth Tone colors add a bit of class to the selection>> the nuclear colors are "worker friendly" and easy to find if misplaced.

Spyderco used to "color code" certain models. The first Spyderhawk models that came out had the full Spyderedge in black and the plain Edge Spyderhawk in blue. I actually also liked the color coding that they were doing at that time.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Cycletroll wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:12 pm
Doc Dan wrote:

Not to hijack but here is my 14 y/o SMP:
I got mine in the early to maybe mid 1990's. I am guessing around 1993 or so, 94 at the latest. So it is 26 or 27 years old. I had a R...x but it was a piece of junk and would lose 8 hours just mowing the lawn. So, I took it back and got this Seamaster and it is my favorite watch, period. I need to replace the face, but that costs a lot of money. I'll do it one day.

Back to topic, more earth tones in the catalog as regular production items would be great.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I want a K390 Urban reissue with dark earthy blue scales. I am selfish because I love my Urban K390 but I don't carry it much anymore because I am afraid of losing it and I have no back up. So, this would solve my problem.

Something like this blue earth:
https://www.dunnedwards.com/colors/browser/de5853

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Blnd

Post by Blnd »

Grey, charcoal, and cool grey, please and thank you.
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Good choice for an example Doc. That forest green is a green done right. Green is an odd color for me, I really like certain shades (forest, emerald) but really dislike others (OD, Jade).

Earth tones I think are a good compromise between inoffensive but boring (black and grey) and brightly colored but polarizing (toxic green, electric blue, salt yellow).