Thee Most Practical Spyder Of All Time? Your Choice?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Thee Most Practical Spyder Of All Time? Your Choice?

Post by JD Spydo »

This is a question that has come up several times over the years and the answers are as wide spread as "Who Your Favorite Celebrity Is?" I've got one that I truly believe meets all the criteria you could consider. And I've wondered over the years why this particular model didn't become one of Spyderco's permanent models like the Delica, Endura, POLICE and Harpy.

My personal pick of "Spyderco's Most Practical Model Of All Time" is the ROOKIE model. To me it's length is perfect, it's blade design and overall size should qualify it for one of their flagship models. To me it's the model you could gift to a friend or family member and for people who are "Non-Knife" people and it would be perfect in most cases.

But I realize that not everyone would look at it that way. Some people would consider one of Spyderco's smaller models. Some people would want one of Spyderco's more specialized models. It just depends on what a person uses a knife for. So what would be YOUR choice of the "Most Practical Spyderco model of all time? And give us a brief explanation as to why you think so.
Tgmr05

Re: Thee Most Practical Spyder Of All Time? Your Choice?

Post by Tgmr05 »

Would probably be the Delica. Large knife for some, small knife for others, just right for the rest. Blade length meets most legal requirements/restrictions. Lightweight, feels good in the hand, comes in multiple colors/steel choices/blade shapes, does not appear menacing to non knife folks. Sturdy knife and can be used for most any task.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I love the Rookie now that I have one, and would like to see it used as a basis for many sprints from Japan. That said, I have to agree that the Delica is extremely practical.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The Delica is the most practical knife, as far as I am concerned. It does most things well. If I were Jonah and had to cut my way out of a whale or giant fish I would want an Endura or something. But less than that, the Delica is the best choice.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
James Y

Post by James Y »

I agree with others that the Delica is the most practical, in terms of if I would gift one to a family member, or such (which I wouldn’t, because nobody in my family is into knives beyond a couple who carry Victorinox Classic SAKs, so none would carry a Spyderco, anyway).

But for a non-knife person who might be getting his or her first knife, in particular a first Spyderco, the Delica is the “Baby Bear” choice; not too big, not too small; not too expensive, not too ‘cheap’; lightweight, but substantial enough; and legal in more places than an over-3” blade.

Jim
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I say Delica or native 5
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

I think the Delica or Native are the better choices, but I have a soft spot for the Sage line.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Are we talking about most practical for our individual needs and preferences or what we think THE most practical knife is? Because my answer is gonna be different depending on that criteria.

To me "practical" means a knife that can do anything, not just a knife that I really like or a knife that is really convenient or easy to carry because it needs to do big knife stuff and small knife stuff, hard use and light use, it needs to be strong but still slice well, and it needs to do all that in all environments even the ones I may not be in very often like the ocean. Most practical means the knife that can do the most with the best average of compromises.

And that knife has to be.....you guessed it...

The Caribbean. Specifically the leaf blade and in PLAIN EDGE. Yeah I said that. Me, Captain SE fanboy said it needs to be plain edge. Hear me out.

This knife is Para 2 sized when closed but has Military edge length. It has a blade that can do anything from splitting wood to skinning deer to opening a bag of chips. It has a steel that can survive in any environment. I chose PE because THE MOST practical knife even means it's pushed into service for camping, survival, food prep, literally anything that a sharp edge can be used for. I do love my serrations but if I'm stranded on an island with no sharpening gear I think I'd have a better chance of sharpening PE on a rock than SE. LC200N has proven to be both tough and relatively easy to sharpen with better than average edge retention. The handle will accommodate any hand size up to about Jeff Dabe size (ok maybe a bit smaller).

So, while the handle color may not be your favorite, the lock may not be your favorite, maybe you prefer to have a choil, those are subjective preferences. The most practical has to be the one that can do anything.

Honorable mention of course is the Pacific, though I have my doubts that it would take as much outright abuse if you pushed both knives beyond their limits in an emergency.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

Very easy question for me.

Pacific Salt & Aqua Salt. Third knife would either be one not any more practical but I enjoy using (Manix XL, Police 4) or a Spyderco chef knife if I'm not supposed to be using other brands in addition to my most practical trio.

Pacific Salt is the most practical folder I own. Its very light, tough, rust proof, comes in PE and SE, and has a neutral handle style that facilitates different grips well. It is economically priced, in current production, and even comes in multiple grinds and steels - all rust proof.

The Aqua Salt, like the Pacific, is very light, rust proof, comes in PE and SE, has a neutral handle that works well for different grips, is priced low and in current production

Both cover all my bases aside from multitools and kitchen knives.

Edit: Misread thee as three. Pacific Salt 2 is my single knife answer.
Last edited by vivi on Thu Nov 19, 2020 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
:unicorn
sherbert4537

Post by sherbert4537 »

I feel like I would vote Native 5 for general EDC and Manix 2 for work. I am in no way biased just because these are my two favorite models... ha!
Holland

Post by Holland »

Delica in my opinion.

Good size, good price, utilitarian design

Length if time in spydercos lineup says a lot
-Spencer

Rotation:
Gayle Bradley 2 | Mantra 1 | Watu | Chaparral 1 | Dragonfly 2 Salt SE
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

For most people? Delica, hands down. It’s both big enough and small enough at the same time. Just let that sink in.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Delica ir Salt 1/2
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Tough question, but all things considered, I would vote Salt (1 or 2).
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

It would depend on what my doings were. Lets break it down into three segments. Work, Casual, Dress.

If I'm working, the answer is emphatically, the Caribbean. There is no better folder in my eyes, when there is work to do.

If I'm not working, it is the Micro Dyad. It is basically the ultimate form of the LMJ knives. Gets 90% of carry time these days.

If I'm dressing up, I'm reaching for the Kiwi.
(Although the Micro Dyad can also fill this role)

Edit: If I was forced to only have one knife for all of the segments, it would be the Caribbean. I can always gussy the scales up for formal use.
Last edited by Sumdumguy on Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Caly 3".

Work, dress, wet, dry, town, trail, upside down, inside out, Caly does it all for me. Sold off all my Delicas after I found the Caly. For me, the ergos are much improved.
Attachments
SPY caly3-sm.JPG
Last edited by Bolster on Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

The FRN VG-10 Calypso Jr. would get my vote. Small enough to be easy to carry and not frighten too many people. Large enough for most things most folks would do with a pocket knife. Thin and featherweight, so you don't even notice you're carrying it. Pointy enough to pick splinters and, 20+ years after it was first produced, still one of the best slicers Spyderco has ever offered. And, if all that weren't enough it's hand neutral.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Personally, practical is the handy and useful one I always have with me on my keychain: ManBug Salt Sheepsfoot SpyderEdge.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

RamZar wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:42 pm
Personally, practical is the handy and useful one I always have with me on my keychain: ManBug Salt Sheepsfoot SpyderEdge.
Good choice. The Manbug (in any configuration) is very handy indeed. It's probably my most-carried knife by virtue of it being a fixture on my keychain.
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

Interesting question. I guess it depends on one's definition of "practical"—one can think of it as meaning low-maintenance, or a knife that has good attributes across the board (whilst not necessarily excelling in any single one), or for some people, "practical" means a "hard-use" folder. Additionally, many people factor in things like price, cross-jurisdiction legality, & "social acceptability" as part of their practical concerns.

For most people, I think the most practical (though not necessarily most attractive) choice would be the standard UKPK in CTS-BD1N. Easy to sharpen to a hair-splitting edge, holds an edge for a decently long time, and CTS-BD1N is one of the most stain resistant cutlery steels outside of LC200N and H1. The fact that it's a slipjoint with a 2.93" blade means it's legal in many places where locking knives and knives with blades over 3" are restricted. It's very light at less than 2 ounces, and the ergonomics—based on the Caly 3 pattern—are among Spyderco's best. And it is very affordable... in fact, I think it's the best overall value in Spyderco's entire in-production catalogue, Byrd Knives included.

For those whom locking knife restrictions are not a concern but still have to contend with 3" knife laws, I think the Native 5 Salt in LC200N is the most practical. It's basically maintenance-free and has a bombproof, compact build. I think the upcoming Salt 2 in LC200N may ultimately displace the Native 5 Salt in this category, though, as it will probably sell for a lower price while offering similar attributes.

For those who need more blade length and for whom both locking knife restrictions and 3" knife laws are not a concern, the new Pacific Salt 2 in LC200N is probably the most practical choice. Everything I wrote about the Native 5 Salt applies to the Pacific Salt 2 in LC200N, with the added bonus that the latter is even more affordable.

Personally, my most practical choice for a folder is probably the Yojimbo 2, mostly for work-related reasons. I go into detail in my review here, for those of you who want to know why.
Last edited by zuludelta on Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.