Thee Most Practical Spyder Of All Time? Your Choice?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
prndltech

Re: Thee Most Practical Spyder Of All Time? Your Choice?

Post by prndltech »

DSH007 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 7:35 pm
Probably going to be a bit of a "hot take," but.. the Brouwer. Such a fantastic utilitarian design with, imo, just about the most useful blade-shape there is.. fantastic ergos.. great size (for the masses).. accessible lock (again, for the masses).. extremely pocket-friendly.. Just about the perfect "all-around" knife. The caveat being that a deep carry pocket clip is a must..

Personally, I'd love to see a Brouwer XL, but as it is.. it's about all I'd ever need. Just about the most "practical" knife there is.. in my opinion.
I agree... Minus the thumb hole occlusion for left handed opening. I’m left handed (although I carry a knife right handed) but I set my knives down a lot while I’m working and I appreciate full ambidextrous operation, at very least ease of opening. Therefore I’ve never bought one.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

prndltech wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:52 pm
DSH007 wrote:
Probably going to be a bit of a "hot take," but.. the Brouwer. Such a fantastic utilitarian design with, imo, just about the most useful blade-shape there is.. fantastic ergos.. great size (for the masses).. accessible lock (again, for the masses).. extremely pocket-friendly.. Just about the perfect "all-around" knife. The caveat being that a deep carry pocket clip is a must..

Personally, I'd love to see a Brouwer XL, but as it is.. it's about all I'd ever need. Just about the most "practical" knife there is.. in my opinion.
I agree... Minus the thumb hole occlusion for left handed opening. I’m left handed (although I carry a knife right handed) but I set my knives down a lot while I’m working and I appreciate full ambidextrous operation, at very least ease of opening. Therefore I’ve never bought one.
Fair point.. it's definitely not the most lefty-friendly design. Being a shameless righty, I often forget about those less fortunate.. my apologies. ;) Hahah, maybe an ambidextrous backlock Brouwer is in order..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

DSH007 wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:21 pm
prndltech wrote:
DSH007 wrote:

Fair point.. it's definitely not the most lefty-friendly design. Being a shameless righty, I often forget about those less fortunate.. my apologies. ;) Hahah, maybe an ambidextrous backlock Brouwer is in order..
I’m definitely one of those confused folks. I write left handed, do most everything else right handed... including carry and use a knife. However, like I said I often set it down and appreciate ambi operation... at the very least opening.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

DSH007 wrote:
prndltech wrote:
DSH007 wrote:

Thanks for bringing up the "left handed" issue. Because Spyderco has made "left handed" models for quite some time now. I had a left handed Spyderco PoLICE model with one of the original glossy Carbon Fiber handles and it was a beauty. But they also made some of their stainless models in LH too. I remember the Mariner and a couple of the others from the 90s that were available in left handed.
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

I dunno...

Maybe i just sound contrarian, but my most practical Spyderco has got to be the Santoku. I have used that knife nearly every day for the past ~15 years, for at least one or two meals a day.

It definitely doesn't have the sex appeal of any of my Spyderco folders, but it is day-in and day-out my most used and keeps us well-fed. :spyder: :cool:

To go along with the game as it is being played-- for folding knives...

I might have to say the Native Salt. I have a PE and an SE model and like them both quite a bit. They are a very versatile and practical size with excellent usability, safety, performance, ergonomics, build and so on. Sure i would also like a G10 Native Salt, but i'm ok with FRN.

As much as i really like the SpydieChef, Shaman, Stretch and Manix 2 LW, i think the Native would be my pick.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

James Y wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:09 am
My choice of the Delica earlier in this thread not only had to do with the quality of the model, but also because of the idea presented in the first post; a knife you could potentially gift to a family member or otherwise non-knife person, who may end up liking and carrying it.

IMO, most non-knife people will not carry a larger knife if you gave it to them. I know that nobody in my immediate and extended family are knife people, and none would ever carry an Endura-sized knife. The same with most of the friends I know. Believe it or not, THE most popular and commonly-carried pocketknife on the planet is the tiny Victorinox Classic SAK, carried by knife people and non-knife people alike. For the latter, it can be the only knife they’ll ever carry. That has a tiny cutting blade of only 1.5”. So by that standard, I have doubts that a blade over 3” would be embraced very much by many non-knife people. In such a case, the Dragonfly or Ladybug might have been a better choice than the Delica, because even the Delica can be a stretch for many people who are just not into carrying knives.

Any knife, regardless of how nice, well-designed, solid and useful we knife aficionados may find it, will not be practical if the person you gave it to sticks it in a drawer and forgets about it.

Jim
My sentiments exactly. This is why I said the Delica is both big enough and small enough. To that one can add thin enough and affordable enough. It is in the sweetest of sweet spots for a very wide variety of users and use cases. The Delica in your pocket beats the Military on your dresser.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

I think when Spyderco comes out with the new Salt 3 in LC200N with green FRN like the new Pacific Salt, it will be one of the most practical knives ever made. But if we’re only talking knives that actually exist I’ll say Spyderco Siren. The Siren is a go anywhere do anything knife and it’s ambidextrous.

However if you want to talk the ultimate in practicality; due to legal reasons I think a sub 2” Salt slipit like the spy DK in LC200N would rule them all. You literally could take it anywhere a knife would be legal to carry.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

James Y wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:09 am
My choice of the Delica earlier in this thread not only had to do with the quality of the model, but also because of the idea presented in the first post; a knife you could potentially gift to a family member or otherwise non-knife person, who may end up liking and carrying it.

IMO, most non-knife people will not carry a larger knife if you gave it to them. I know that nobody in my immediate and extended family are knife people, and none would ever carry an Endura-sized knife. The same with most of the friends I know. Believe it or not, THE most popular and commonly-carried pocketknife on the planet is the tiny Victorinox Classic SAK, carried by knife people and non-knife people alike. For the latter, it can be the only knife they’ll ever carry. That has a tiny cutting blade of only 1.5”. So by that standard, I have doubts that a blade over 3” would be embraced very much by many non-knife people. In such a case, the Dragonfly or Ladybug might have been a better choice than the Delica, because even the Delica can be a stretch for many people who are just not into carrying knives.

Any knife, regardless of how nice, well-designed, solid and useful we knife aficionados may find it, will not be practical if the person you gave it to sticks it in a drawer and forgets about it.

Jim
I just read your post after making my own and thought the hypothetical knife I was suggesting would fit what you were taking about perfectly 1st knife to start a non knife person on the right path ;) or to hand down or gift because it wouldn’t be intimidating, it would be super low maintenance and legal anywhere knives are legal.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Me too. It comes in handy from time to time!
prndltech wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:28 pm
DSH007 wrote:
prndltech wrote:
DSH007 wrote:

I’m definitely one of those confused folks. I write left handed, do most everything else right handed... including carry and use a knife. However, like I said I often set it down and appreciate ambi operation... at the very least opening.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
JohnDoe99

Post by JohnDoe99 »

Paramilitary 2, the Native, or the Stretch 2.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Blnd

Post by Blnd »

Bloke wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:12 pm
Am I the only one who finds the hawksbill blades catch and open up in the pocket? Cut myself pretty good on my ladybug that way. It has collected dust ever since.
elena86

Post by elena86 »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:34 pm
I think when Spyderco comes out with the new Salt 3 in LC200N with green FRN like the new Pacific Salt, it will be one of the most practical knives ever made. But if we’re only talking knives that actually exist I’ll say Spyderco Siren. The Siren is a go anywhere do anything knife and it’s ambidextrous.

However if you want to talk the ultimate in practicality; due to legal reasons I think a sub 2” Salt slipit like the spy DK in LC200N would rule them all. You literally could take it anywhere a knife would be legal to carry.

Wise words. I only hope they will release one in spyderedge though...
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

elena86 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:03 am
BLUETYPEII wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:34 pm

Wise words. I only hope they will release one in spyderedge though...

Well, such a Salt 3, basically being a linerless, ffg, SE Delica 4 could finally be the first serious contestant for the Chap FRN in my personal "small knife niche..."
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Blnd wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:39 am
Am I the only one who finds the hawksbill blades catch and open up in the pocket? Cut myself pretty good on my ladybug that way. It has collected dust ever since.
Hey Blnd, that’s no good and I’m sorry to hear.

I’ve carried a HB Ladybug for a couple of years now, I s’pose. It ends up in any pocket and I haven’t come even close to it opening unless I open it myself.

I’d give your Ladybug another go. ;)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
elena86

Post by elena86 »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:14 am
Blnd wrote:

I’ve carried a HB Ladybug for a couple of years now, I s’pose. It ends up in any pocket and I haven’t come even close to it opening unless I open it myself.

I allways carry one on my Keychain. It’s a little beast. It opens packages like a champ. I have to say that I like the hawkbill Dfly even more though. Being slightly larger it has better ergos and it gives me more confidence when I need more leverage.It’s indeed the little big ripper king. There is nothing I can’t rip off with my Hawkfly. It packs tremendous cutting power.
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

It would probably be the Stretch for me.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

The best and most practical to gift to non-knife people or friends/family in my mind is the G10 Manbug. It very well covers the points mentioned so far, and is probably the most capable knife per overall length. A Ladybug Salt hawksbill is also an amazing model. If your giftee wants a bit more blade length then the best, truest essence Spyderco is called for — the Caly 3.5! Sadly the G10 Manbug and Caly 3.5 are discontinued.

That said, I’ve given multiple Chaparrals away as birthday and Xmas gifts and a fluted Native 5 for my (now former) brother-in-law at his wedding. A Chaparral in my mind is probably the best, most practical Spydie one could go with these days, especially if you can find a titanium one. :)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Bloke wrote:
Sat Nov 21, 2020 8:12 pm
Now I know for sure you're a celebrity BLOKE :D And I was pretty sure I was right about you being Angus Young's ( ACDC fame) first cousin :D Only serious celebrities would have an engraving like that for sure. Now we need to also get one for Angus to go with his classic "schoolboy" uniform :rolleyes:

Brother you ain't fooling us at all :D

And that also proves that "Now's The Time: For A New Hawkbill".. Every devout Spyderhead needs an SE Hawkbill for a companion blade :cool:
Blnd

Post by Blnd »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:14 am
Blnd wrote:

I think the gap between the handle and blade was the culprit. It actually partially opened up a few times before I cut myself. My first spyderco (and first knife - ever) was a ladybug so I’m definitely a fan - I’ll just pass on the hawksbill.