Thee Most Practical Spyder Of All Time? Your Choice?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
abbazaba

Re: Thee Most Practical Spyder Of All Time? Your Choice?

Post by abbazaba »

I could get behind any of these answers depending on the context. But how about the Sage? It's one of my favorite to gift because it's practical, classy, and a great performer.

pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

As a lefty, and a 50% office flicker, 50% field marine engineer, I'd have to say - Delica.
If a Salt 2 comes in LC200N, it would take the trone.
This knife is slim so it disappears in the pocket (ok, I'm using deep carry clip to make it invisible), enough edge length for various needs on the field, hand close to the edge, steel liners making you comfortable about knife flexing and screws not grinding through FRN, descent steel with better than average corrosion retention.
kobold

Post by kobold »

For me, it has to be the Native 5.
Above all else, it fits (my) hands unlike any other. Comes in many configurations / steels, something for everybody. Available and relatively affordable. Easy to disassemble and maintain. Handsome.
Back lock - I really like titanium RILs, but those prices are NOT practical.
Last, but not least, legal most everywhere.

Sage 4 is my second choice.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:11 pm
It would depend on what my doings were. Lets break it down into three segments. Work, Casual, Dress.

If I'm working, the answer is emphatically, the Caribbean. There is no better folder in my eyes, when there is work to do.

If I'm not working, it is the Micro Dyad. It is basically the ultimate form of the LMJ knives. Gets 90% of carry time these days.

If I'm dressing up, I'm reaching for the Kiwi.
(Although the Micro Dyad can also fill this role)

Edit: If I was forced to only have one knife for all of the segments, it would be the Caribbean. I can always gussy the scales up for formal use.
A visual representation of practicality, in my mind. :D

Oops. Quote, instead of edit...
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Native 5 Salt.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Spyderco Province. The only thing that I'm missing is the boltaron sheath, and I'll get that soon.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Oh I dunno it sorta depends.

I’d say the native 5 salt but seeing as there’s no g10 model standard yet...The watu is my favorite everyday practical knife, since it’s got a super comfortable neutral handle, carries well, and cuts like a dream. but the blade is maybe a touch fragile. Whereas the caribbean, which is similarly comfortable, can be beaten mercilessly without thought. I suppose those are my two picks then. One for everyday and one for working.

I also haven’t handled a sage before, but at least conceptually it seems like a good contender. I’m waiting on steel variations for the sage 2 and 5 to get one.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Blnd

Post by Blnd »

It would be hard to argue against a Delica or Native suggestion. Excellent premium base VG-10 or S30V steels, and Small/medium sized with good ergos and durable FRN/Backlock combo.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 10:36 am
Are we talking about most practical for our individual needs and preferences or what we think THE most practical knife is? Because my answer is gonna be different depending on that criteria.

To me "practical" means a knife that can do anything, not just a knife that I really like or a knife that is really convenient or easy to carry because it needs to do big knife stuff and small knife stuff, hard use and light use, it needs to be strong but still slice well, and it needs to do all that in all environments even the ones I may not be in very often like the ocean.
Well I kind of laid it out in my opening post. I'm basing it on a model that will appeal to many "Non-Knife" people. I'm also basing it on an ideal size and overall design. And with what I've laid out coupled with my past experiences I still say the ROOKIE leads the way.

But I see we have a lot more Delica fans than I actually thought we did. And I have nothing against the Delica but I would take a Stainless or G-10 Handled ROOKIE any day of the week over any of the Delica models.

Actually there are great arguments to be made for both models. But I'm sticking to the ROOKIE at this point
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Fireman wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 4:10 pm
Native 5 Salt.
I could go with any of the NATIVE models with a wide range of reasons. I've always had a lot of respect for the NATIVE models and I've always found it to be far more rugged than any of the Delica models
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

abbazaba wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 2:19 pm
....Sage? It's one of my favorite to gift because it's practical, classy, and a great performer.

Good choice. Basically a slightly chunkier Caly 3 with screw construction and different locking mechanisms.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Endura gets my vote. It's a timeless design that does almost everything well.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I'm going to go with the Endela. The Delica can feel too small at times and the Endura can feel to big/unwieldy for certain tasks. I feel like the Endela hits that sweet spot nicely with the bonus of improved handle economics and maintaining the spirit of the other two iconic models.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I’m obviously biased but I’d be lying if I said anything other than the Siren. Given that it was designed 100% around MY idea of practicality I’d have to have done a pretty poor job if it wasn’t first on my list.

The Pacific Salt is a VERY close second for my use and until there is a serrated Siren available there will always be a space for the Pacific Salt in my user rotation.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

:) Is this some sort of trick question? Most of us who visit knife knut forums are so far removed from practical that our minds must do a cold reboot or reset. Since this thread includes practical as part of the question I assume it includes your average non knife people. Most of them think paying $100 for a pocket knife is practically insane and might be willing to pay around half that. Bearing that in mind, I think the answer to the question as unpopular as it may be is a Chinese knife made under the umbrella of Spyderco. There are some incredible practical options to choose from here. Although I don't own one, my choice would probably be the Astute. I'm trying to look at this as a non knife person who could choose only one pocket knife to cover most bases short of a prybar.

2.5 mm blade stock is easily sharpened to make slicey and maintain. That 3.02" blade will be 3" legal after a couple of touch ups. The conformation or shape of the blade edge is timeless and universal. Slightly negative blade angle with a handle grip that is fairly neutral with a bit of a hand filling palm swell. Among non knife people the appearance of the knife may be more important than the type of steel in many cases. To me, one of the most startling things about this knife is that the graceful aesthetic of the lines just flow. Well done Spyderco.

We on this forum have the passion and luxury of being impractical. Every once in a while we are presented with the conundrum of a design that we knife knuts feel is deserving of far more exotic steel than it's targeted practical value demographic. The thing is................Spyderco has the confoundingly honorable trait of loyalty to its makers no matter the country of origin. It would be great to see this knife in upgraded steels. Just don't expect budget pricing.

Sales figures are classified, but it would be nice to hear from the horse's mouth how real sales on this knife compare to initial projections. Is this knife made by Chinese maker #1, #2, or #3?
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

One word ... D-E-L-I-C-A (frn vg-10)!!!

End of discussion. :cool:

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

pacific salt se has to be my pick. it's light. it's tough. it's big enough for just about anything a pocket knife should be expected to do, but it disappears in the waistband, even during a workout (unless someone flips you and you land on it... that hurts a bit). the se is perfect and easy to maintain with a sharpmaker. it's pretty much the perfect knife.

next choice (very close second) would be the manix (lw if we could get some screws instead of rivets). the blade is so perfect for a host of edc tasks. the ergonomics are delightful. the handle is shaped optimally for allowing access into the pocket and for just the right ride height.

the caribbean sheepsfoot se is my attempt at bringing the two of these great knives together (and the comp lock, which i also enjoy). i haven't had it long enough for a full verdict yet, but others seem to love it. i know it's great in hand, but i haven't tested it iwb yet to know if it's too bulky there or if the weaker detent is the problem everyone makes it out to be. more to come on that one. it could be the perfect mashup of my three favorite spydercos.

edited to add:
the rockjumper is a very compelling choice here too. i don't have one yet, but a se rockjumper salt would be the bees knees.
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Deadboxhero

Post by Deadboxhero »

Delica, but recently the para3 lightweight.
Big Brown Bear
https://www.youtube.com/user/shawnhouston
Triple B Handmade Knives
remnar

Post by remnar »

Bolster wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 1:15 pm
Caly 3".

Work, dress, wet, dry, town, trail, upside down, inside out, Caly does it all for me. Sold off all my Delicas after I found the Caly. For me, the ergos are much improved.
I agree with this 100% but sometimes you just need a little more so I'd nominate the Caly 3.5. :D

The question is very subjective and there really isn't a correct answer... :spyder:
knife__bro69

Post by knife__bro69 »

Pm2