What other cutting tools would you like to see spyderco make?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
kobold

Re: What other cutting tools would you like to see spyderco make?

Post by kobold »

A parang made out of tough, but corrosion resistant steel. Like the Condor Mini Duku, but smaller still. Green canvas micarta, or stabilized elder burl.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Dazen

Post by Dazen »

I would love some H1 Shears for in and out of the kitchen!

viewtopic.php?t=85535
Dane

“Stop buying your kids what you never had and start teaching them what you never knew!”
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

kobold wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 7:13 am
A parang made out of tough, but corrosion resistant steel. Like the Condor Mini Duku, but smaller still. Green canvas micarta, or stabilized elder burl.

This, a machete, or the Filipino Bolo. Something along the size of the Schempp Rock but for me, a high carbon steel might be better since it needs toughness for what it is intended for. :)
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

Humm... So many things...
Spear
Naginata
Folding saw
Dyad with a saw
Mr Blonde

Post by Mr Blonde »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:19 pm
Title says it all! I for one would love to see some simple Japanese style thread snips or kitchen shears. They’re both super useful tools, and I think giving them the spyderco treatment would make a few simple tools even better.

Think of it, thread snips with removable hap40 blades, a copper body, and leather sheath. Or fully disassemblable shears made from lc200n. All with spyderco quality.
I recall seeing something like that in the Spyderco prototypes case many many years ago. It obviously hasn't panned out yet into production, but who knows? The Tusk made it eventually too.

I'd kind of like to see a Spyderco sommelier tool, it has a tiny blade on it. But I admit it'd be more of a cool gadget than any perfomance increase I'm missing from my current sommelier tool.
My Spyderco Pics & Reviews: www.spydercollector.com
Last website update: 4-01-2024 Instagram
kobold

Post by kobold »

Bonsai scissors.

Maxamet is fine. :D
Last edited by kobold on Sun Nov 15, 2020 3:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

qwkzotc wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:44 pm
2.) A pocket Pry bar from a from a really tough steel that is not so brittle that it will snap and not so soft that it will yield/bend. A nice touch would be an embedded blade that could be used to clear stuff out of the way that is blocking where the pry bar is needed.

I know it's not a cutting tool, but I'd like to see Spyderco make a prytool/single piece multitool. When I don't feel like carrying a SAK or plier-centric multitool, my CRKT Eat'n Tool works well as a minimalistic multitool. I'd be interested to see what Spyderco would design.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I'd love a Spyderco Sgian Dubh!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Spyderco is the brand I feel best spending my money on, so I will echo a few thoughts from above. I would definitely upgrade my hodgepodge, but decent, kitchen knives to a few Spydies, if they weren't too expensive. A pruning shears would be great too. I suppose I would really like, and use the most, a waiter's corkscrew, with a good, serrated H1 blade, but I understand that Spyderco is not going to compete in all of these areas.
jdw

Post by jdw »

Spear, ethnic series tomahawk
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'd be interested in a folding saw.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Kissaki

Post by Kissaki »

From a gardening perspective - I'd like to see Spyderco's take on a Japanese hori hori. A folding saw would be cool, but Silky really dominates that space. A pruning knife with a Spydie hole would also be slick. The Victorinox is nice, but I've always thought Spyderco could do better.

K
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I’d love to see a “Universal” system knife line.
a knife system that has multiple blade shapes and steels that you switch can switch out in a handle base. Make it in two sizes. Think of the Military and PM2 sizes that you can swap out all kinds of extras like clips and scale materials.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Great topic!

(1) Scissors. Real full size scissors. I can't even imagine how useful a supersteel pair of scissors would be.
(2) Bypass pruning shears for the garden.
(3) Folding chisels. I have two different brands in my portable toolbox, very handy, they look like a balisong, but they dull quickly due to poor steel. Must sharpen after each use: shameful.
(4) Quality replacements for Exacto blades, which dull quickly.

But above all, scissors.

I have read several places that tools are selling like hotcakes during COVID as people are taking on projects at home. I can imagine many tools that would be improved with quality steel and good heat treats.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

A Maxamet or other super steel utility knife blade replacement that you could resharpen is something I would love to have. I would pay 20-30 dollars for a spyderco super steel replacement blade. Along this path, a neck knife with disposable or reusable/resharpenable premium steel would be amazing. Imagine a spyderco version of this with a spydie hole.

Also the neck knife I would want to look something like this. I have a few ideas of how to make this work.

:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
lorgar

Post by lorgar »

Chef's knife or Santoku, a paring knife, all in VG10 or M390, with G10 or micarta scaless.

And more EDC in high carbon steel
SpydieFlicker

Post by SpydieFlicker »

I would also like to see a pair of kitchen scissors in Lc200N an toxic green FRN.
This is kind of what I would want them to look like.
Attachments
scissors - Edited.jpg