What other cutting tools would you like to see spyderco make?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Abyss_Fish

What other cutting tools would you like to see spyderco make?

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Title says it all! I for one would love to see some simple Japanese style thread snips or kitchen shears. They’re both super useful tools, and I think giving them the spyderco treatment would make a few simple tools even better.

Think of it, thread snips with removable hap40 blades, a copper body, and leather sheath. Or fully disassemblable shears made from lc200n. All with spyderco quality.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
The Meat man

Re: What other cutting tools would you like to see spyderco make?

Post by The Meat man »

I want a full-sized felling axe in Maxamet. :p :D
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:25 pm
I want a full-sized felling axe in Maxamet. :p :D
If spyderco sold that I’d display it on my mantle
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
James Y

Post by James Y »

A small folding pair of scissors with thumb and finger holes (instead of a spring) that can be carried comfortably in a pocket. Unfortunately, I don’t think a Spyderco version would sell very well, even if they were more ergonomic than the folding scissors already available on the market, due to the price difference.

Jim
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

I'm eyeing the SOG Folding Campsaw. It's 9" folded with an 8.25" blade. I will order one at the same time I get the Autonomy LC200N SE. If Spyderco made the saw, I'd buy theirs. My intention is something I can throw in my Camelbak for doing light trail work.
wheats

Post by wheats »

S90v pizza cutter
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

wheats wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:55 pm
S90v pizza cutter
Rex121 butter knife
Lightly insane.

TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

Spyderco endmills would be great XD
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I wish they'd look into a more traditional styled multitool with a one hand opening Spyderco blade. If I could somehow have a Spyderco blade on a Victorinox Spirit I'd be all over it.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'd like a solid budget chef knife I wouldn't feel bad taking to work. The Murray Carter line is awesome but I wouldn't want to use them on the job.

Something built like the Z-cut as far as materials go but in a traditional 8-10" western style chef pattern.

I use this style knife more than any other and I'd like it to be a Spyderco.

If you browse Spydercos kitchen knives you'll see it jumps straight from the modestly priced Z Cuts and utility knives to $300 Murray Carters. Pretty big gap in the middle IMO.

https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/category/culinary
:unicorn
Oloung1

Post by Oloung1 »

vivi wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:14 pm
I'd like a solid budget chef knife I wouldn't feel bad taking to work. The Murray Carter line is awesome but I wouldn't want to use them on the job.

Something built like the Z-cut as far as materials go but in a traditional 8-10" western style chef pattern.
The pointed Z-cut PE is my most "underrated" knife for this year. I'm interested in the Santoku now.
lorgar

Post by lorgar »

A mule in K390 if it's already done
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:07 pm
I wish they'd look into a more traditional styled multitool with a one hand opening Spyderco blade. If I could somehow have a Spyderco blade on a Victorinox Spirit I'd be all over it.
Something like the Leatherman Free T2 or T4 might work too.

I'd like to see an FRN handled filet knife in LC200N.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Chain saws. :D
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

I’ve seriously considered creating a thread about a pizza cutter. It doesn’t need to be in a super steel, just a nice sharp, simple pizza cutter.
qwkzotc

Post by qwkzotc »

1.) Heavy duty corrosion resistant Kitchen Scissors that can cut through packaging, meat & small bone and separate into 2 pieces for cleaning and sharpening.
and
2.) A pocket Pry bar from a from a really tough steel that is not so brittle that it will snap and not so soft that it will yield/bend. A nice touch would be an embedded blade that could be used to clear stuff out of the way that is blocking where the pry bar is needed.

Both should have a touch of class like anodizing/patterns with a bit of color and designed to be kept readily available.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Evil D wrote:
I think Sal has said they’ve looked into it a few times. Not sure if it went anywhere.
Lightly insane.

Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Well.... viewtopic.php?t=87504 ;)

I know there is not much support for it, but I´d still really like to see either another Spydersaw or a Dyad featuring a knife and a saw. https://www.spyderco.com/catalog/details/T02/51

I know there are a lot of folding saws on the market already, but the big plus of the Spydersaw is its very light weight while still offering a 4.9" blade. Great for just throwing it in a lightweightpack for occasional sawing tasks (and of course not if one is planning on doing a lot of sawing)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Abyss_Fish wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 9:55 pm
Evil D wrote:
I think Sal has said they’ve looked into it a few times. Not sure if it went anywhere.

They did the SpydeRench but I would prefer something a bit more traditional. I'm sure it's a tough market to get into, Leatherman/Gerber/Victorinox have a hold on the market already.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I'd like Spyderco to make a tool that cuts the amount of money I spend on knives :)

Seriously though, aside from a knife, the tool I use most are pruning shears, so some ergonomic and durable Spyderco pruning shears would be cool.