Yojimbo Light?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
BDNX

Yojimbo Light?

Post by BDNX »

With the all the different lightweight versions of various models being released lately, would anyone be interested in a Yo2 Lightweight? Pretty sure i read someone asking about a lightweight salt in another thread, but I’d be fine with a regular lightweight Yo2 with compression lock etc, and I’m not even a huge fan of the CL. Seems like a natural fit to me....to have an extremely lightweight “self defense” style blade like this, I feel like I’d definitely keep one on me all the time then.
Ez556

Re: Yojimbo Light?

Post by Ez556 »

I really love FRN lightweight knives, but like the Shaman, I feel like a Yojimbo 2 LW would be incredibly blade heavy if they use the same blade as the G10 version. The balance might make it feel really odd in the hand. If they used a thinner or otherwise lightened blade it could be compelling.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I would be interested in an FFG variant. I'm sure the heavy hollow grind is stronger and better suited for self defense but those of us who use our knives more for utility might benefit more from a blade that slices better. Preferably without distal taper so the tip isn't too thin for utility work.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

I'd be very interested in a Yojimbo 2 Lightweight, particularly if it means a significantly lower price point. I think the Yojimbo 2 is one of Spyderdo's most versatile designs with regards to general utility, and would love to see more people try it.

A more affordable Yojimbo 2 with a CTS-BD1N blade (and with the popular blacked-out tacticool option) and FRN/FRCP handle scales would probably sell really, really well, though whether or not it would sell well enough to offset the significant cost of making moulds for the FRN handle scales is anyone's guess.

One thing that gives me pause when thinking about a Yojimbo 2 Lightweight, however, are the physical differences between G10 & FRN (or FRCP). G10 can score as much as three times higher on a notched Izod Impact Test than certain, common formulations of FRN. G10 also has significantly higher flexural strength, tensile strength, and compressive strength than FRN. I don't know if those physical differences between the materials would affect the potential Yojimbo 2 Lightweight's secondary function as a blunt impact/pain compliance tool when closed or prevent it from achieving an MBC rating, but I wouldn't want a Lightweight version of the Yojimbo 2 if it means compromising on the original design envelope.
Ez556 wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 3:23 pm
I really love FRN lightweight knives, but like the Shaman, I feel like a Yojimbo 2 LW would be incredibly blade heavy if they use the same blade as the G10 version. The balance might make it feel really odd in the hand. If they used a thinner or otherwise lightened blade it could be compelling.
Excellent point. A Yojimbo 2 Lightweight would probably need a bit more re-engineering than your typical Lightweight variant, just because of its idiosyncratic, purpose-driven design.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Excellent points. The Yojimbo 2 is a particularly peculiar knife in that it is designed primarily for knife defense applications, hence the odd shaped handles which have a purpose in striking with the butt end.

Not adding anything to the good points raised above, just adding my opinion that FRN readily flexes more vs G10, which may be a hindrance to the striking capabilities of the Yo2's handle design.

Also, making it FFG might also run contrary to Mike's design and purpose for this knife. It would probably become another new knife design altogether.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

nerdlock wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:09 am
Also, making it FFG might also run contrary to Mike's design and purpose for this knife. It would probably become another new knife design altogether.
This was going to be my next point. I notice many times people ask for a knife with x change, and then y change, but realistically it would become a new model. Notice the lightweight models all have the same blades as their G10 counterparts. And then you have knives like the Tanto PM2 or the Wharncliffe Seki models that use the same handles but with a different blade design. Once you change the handle, and then you also change the blade, what’s really left of the old model?
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.