Proto Dyad?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Candyman

Proto Dyad?

Post by Candyman »

Just saw this up on EBay and was curious whether anyone knows anything about it? Looks pretty sketchy but I’ve been wrong before.

https://imgur.com/a/8LaKZWA
Think for yourself
austrian_spyder_fan

Re: Proto Dyad?

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

I also saw it today.
Sal can you tell us something about it?
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

The "found it at a flea market" part would sure give me pause. But I know nothing about the model, so that's just a feeling.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Interesting piece! Would be curious to hear more about it myself.
-Nick :bug-red
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

No I don't trust that one at all. I've been a Dyad fanatic since the early to mid 2000 decade. I've never even seen a prototype with anything other than a sheepsfoot serrated blade. Even the PE blade just doesn't pass the smell test. And if this is a true prototype of a new model Dyad the price of $88 seems to be way too low IMO.

There used to be a guy who sold many vintage Spyders on Ebay back around 2004 to 2006. His Ebay name was "bayagmorin" to the best of my memory. He told me that he had a blue handled C-44 Dyad with ATS-55 blade steel which is what the original C-44 and C-36 Dyads had. And he told me via PM email that he had turned down offers of $300+ for that one. He also told me that it was a prototype that had been at some knife shows in the early 2000s.

I tend to believe the guy because I bought several Spyders from him during that time period and I never ever had him lie to me about any deal we made on Ebay or on the side. He sold several dozen vintage Spyderco models in that time period.

This one displayed stinks like a road kill skunk to me :rolleyes:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:29 pm
The "found it at a flea market" part would sure give me pause. But I know nothing about the model, so that's just a feeling.
I couldn't agree with you more. Because if that is an authentic prototype new Dyad model I seriously doubt if that thing would have ever been at any flea market. Some insider would have been all over that one. But again the blade designs to me are a dead give away.

Every Prototype Spyderco Dyad ( including all the Junior and Micro models) all had sheepsfoot SE blades, no exceptions. I would have to hear from the General himself on this one to believe otherwise.
joeldworkin307

Post by joeldworkin307 »

I know the seller from my Colorado swap meet and pawn shop days. I once saw him selling a knife I had passed on at a pawn shop as new and it most definitely was not. When I asked him about it he banned me from bidding on his auctions. Still banned, no regrets. Not trustworthy.
sal

Post by sal »

Hard to tell. We had a lot of crooked crew "back in the day", from the manager on down. It "looks" like one of my designs. I'd like to buy it, but I'm travelling right now. If one of you wants to buy it and send it to me, I'll "gift" you a nice knife to go with the cost of the knife?

sal
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

I’ll make that happen as long as the price doesn’t get out of control.
Think for yourself
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

sal wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:58 pm
Hard to tell. We had a lot of crooked crew "back in the day", from the manager on down. It "looks" like one of my designs. I'd like to buy it, but I'm travelling right now. If one of you wants to buy it and send it to me, I'll "gift" you a nice knife to go with the cost of the knife?

sal
Well Mr. Glesser I'm shocked and surprised to hear that. Because I thought all of your Dyad designs had Sheepsfoot serrated blades :confused: . But I would be the last one on the planet to differ with you. Actually I hope that the future of "Two-Bladed folders" is still alive and well. Because I've been a big Dyad fan for years now. Especially the C-44.

I guess I'm just naturally skeptical when I see something like this because I've had two good friends of mine in the past two years end up buying what we later discovered to be counterfeit Spyderco knives at our local Gun & Knife shows here in Kansas City. And a couple of those fake units had pretty decent blade steel which I found extremely weird. I guess the world of counterfeit knock-offs must really be changing?
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Dangit guys...

I've been watching this for a week and you have to go and drop the dime on me!
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Candyman

Post by Candyman »

Welp, I sure didn’t grab that one. Hahaha.
Went for $676!

Rich
Think for yourself
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

:( Very not happy.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Candyman wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:39 pm
Went for $676!

Rich
That blows me away. With not even being authenticated bringing that kind of change. It tells me that some insiders or those that Mr. Glesser was talking about must have known for sure that this knife was a "Real McCoy".

I'm to the point at this time I've got two dealers that I completely trust to purchase any new Spyderco knife. Also I do from time to time buy from SFO on occasion. It is really getting to be a mine field out there.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 2:35 am
Candyman wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:39 pm
Went for $676!

Rich
That blows me away. With not even being authenticated bringing that kind of change. It tells me that some insiders or those that Mr. Glesser was talking about must have known for sure that this knife was a "Real McCoy".

I'm to the point at this time I've got two dealers that I completely trust to purchase any new Spyderco knife. Also I do from time to time buy from SFO on occasion. It is really getting to be a mine field out there.
I blame Candyman, for starting this thread. >:(

Ruined my Christmas present... Oh well, on to the next one.

-Thomas Jefferson
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

Maybe to many members did a bid for Sal? :confused:
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm betting the cost went up due to this thread.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
koenigsegg

Post by koenigsegg »

Did they make production clips that looked like that with a spoon covering the screw? Interesting I wish one of us would speak up if you got it lol
S30V, VG10, M4, XHP, BD1, Cruwear, Elmax, Maxamet, 204P, H1, K390, A11, Rex45, LC200N, M390, 20CV, BD1N, S45VN waiting to afford MagnaCut
RadioactiveSpyder

Post by RadioactiveSpyder »

Wow, what a crazy looking item Rich and Sal! I looked at all the pics on the eBay listing (no, I didn’t buy it) and it’s a really fascinating Frankenstein creation - it looks like either a PM2-sized blade or maybe a modified Military blade for the PE side and something like a SE Stretch for the other side. Weird thing is that it’s a liner lock and not a backlock like the Japanese Dyads - sort of like someone (Sal) took a Military and added the spacers and SE blade with another liner lock (two Millies smooshed together). Spyderco definitely had a model or two with clips like that, I’ll look up the US patent number stamped on the clip. The blue G10 when viewed sideways doesn’t look like anything ever used in Golden (it has alternating blue and black layers) but being a prototype, the maker could have just grabbed something available in the shop. I’m honestly a bit stumped by it - if pressed I’d say it wasn’t legit but I’ve often been wrong before. It does seem to lock up OK which adds to the mystery ;). Cheers, Radioactive

Edit: I looked up US Patent 4347665 and it is one of Sal’s general pocket knife patents filed in 1981, so that lends to it being more legitimate as an actual prototype in my mind. (The patent doesn’t mention anything specific about the eBay knife of course, just the clip.)
It's better to be good than evil, but one achieves goodness at a terrific cost. ––– Stephen King
SG89

Post by SG89 »

I often see spyderco items on ebay that i suspect were stolen from the factory... Unfinished blades, liners, other random parts. This isn't the first likely prototype I've seen on there either. Sorry to hear the factory had some bad eggs working there in the past.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb