Proto Dyad?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JD Spydo

Re: Proto Dyad?

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 5:49 am
I'm betting the cost went up due to this thread.
That's interesting. I've been thinking that for some time they need to start some type of an auction house that only deals with cutlery, sharpening supplies and other edged tools. Because the sector is getting so big it would make it easier for people to get what they want and make it easier to sell at a premium price as well.

There is so much shill bidding at a lot of these places which was one of about 5 reasons I bailed out of Ebay. Something just doesn't pass the smell test with this odd Dyad bringing that much money :confused: . I would really have to trust the seller or have a way to authenticate the item before I would even go over $200 on any item. It is truly a minefield out there when it comes to getting really nice collector pieces.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Ugh, stop reminding me...

It looked reasonably authentic to me and I was going to take the gamble. That is, until someone spilled the beans! :mad:

Dyad dreams crushed...
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 7:18 am

It looked reasonably authentic to me and I was going to take the gamble. That is, until someone spilled the beans! :mad:

Dyad dreams crushed...
At least you can rest easy knowing you didn't buy stolen property :)
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 8:30 am
Sumdumguy wrote:

Dyad dreams crushed...
Haha, I suppose so.

I would have sent it back home, as requested.
(after thoroughly fondling and photographing :p)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:06 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:

Dyad dreams crushed...
Haha, I suppose so.

Don't forget smelling... 😂
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:24 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:06 pm
Spydergirl88 wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:

Dyad dreams crushed...
Haha, I suppose so.

Don't forget smelling... 😂

-Thomas Jefferson
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

It's even been a really long time since I've seen one of the colored Dyad Jr. models. I used to have the Burgundy and Teal models but had to unload them for badly needed cash at the time. But it's been years since I've seen any of the Dyads that collectors would love to have up for sale on any of the forums or auction sites. So someone or probably several collectors are buying up all these Dyad models that go up for sale it would appear.

I thought when that Cranberry Lum model went for about $1200 that wouldn't happen again. But for this model to fetch in the high $600 range is mind blowing to say the least.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Nov 22, 2020 4:11 pm

I thought when that Cranberry Lum model went for about $1200 that wouldn't happen again. But for this model to fetch in the high $600 range is mind blowing to say the least.

What's kinda funny is whoever bought it has an unknown knife that isn't proven to be what it claims to be so they spent a lot of money on something that may even be a weird counterfeit. To me this sort of thing is pretty worthless unless Spyderco can confirm what it is.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I'm just a collector of oddities. To me, it was worth the $300 that I was willing to gamble.

I usually only have one of any given model. But, I do pick up a Micro Dyad anytime I find a good price on one. That's really the only one I hoard and that's only because I use it so much. If I was to lose it and not have a backup(or several), I'd be devastated.

I am also trying to find the VG-10 Dyad Jr. One of these days I'll find a reasonably priced one.

-Thomas Jefferson