Wide-bladed Knives

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bolster

Wide-bladed Knives

Post by Bolster »

What are the benefits and drawbacks of wide-bladed knives? I’m thinking wide blades like Domino, Techno, Junior, Manix, Lum, Klotzli, Rubicon, Ouroboros, Lionspy? Compare against non-wide blades such as the Native Chief, Wayne Goddard, Jess Horn, Stretch, Centofante, Viele, Janisong, Pattada? Do you prefer wide-blades for particular tasks?
Wartstein

Re: Wide-bladed Knives

Post by Wartstein »

Funny, actually I was just about starting a thread like this... ;)

I do like wide bladed knives.

Some (potential) advantages that come to mind:

1.) Contributes to a slicier cutting geometry:
At a given bladestock-thickness a taller blade will have an advantage over a not so wide blade when it comes to cutting geometry. Just cause the primary grind angle is more acute.
Of course other factors (tapering, which grind (ffg, hollow, sabre...), thickness behind the edge, secondary angle....) come into play too. But those factors can partly be modified in an exisiting knife, while no one can realistically make an exisiting blade taller

2.) Potentially helps with thinner blade stock
The "wideness" adds stability / rigidity to a blade, so it can be thinner in the spine potentially

3.) Better for spreading stuff (like butter on bread or something. I´ll admit: Not a really important thing with a pocket knife...;) )

4.) Potentially better for cutting stuff with wider diameter
Like food on a cutting board for example

5.) "Steers" more stable trough stuff that gets cut
Think of cardboard or the like.
On the flip side: A bit harde to make turning cuts in material (again, cardboard..)

6.) Allows for a pronounced belly
If that is desired

7.) Allows for more options concerning tip geometry
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

A wide blade is easier to crush a garlic clove.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

VooDooChild wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:10 am
A wide blade is easier to crush a garlic clove.
It is interesting to note that most "chef's Knives" are pretty wide. And in the culinary selections most all of those knives bigger than a typical paring knife tends to be pretty wide by comparison.

I don't mind a wider blade in a fixed blade but for a folder my M390 Military model is about as wide as I want to get.
standy99

Post by standy99 »

Think of this like in butchers knives. There is no one knife that can do everything.
Thin pointy knife for breaking up and boning.
Larger wide blade knife for slicing steak.
Usually 2 knives for what you need to do the most to break up a steer, both have drawbacks in use reverse than above.
I wouldn’t want to break up a steer with a steak knife and would have a hard time slicing a large amount of steak with a boning knife. ( if I was only allowed one knife it would be a boning knife )

In pocket knives it’s not as large a handicap for either as it is in larger over 5 inch blades.

So for me I don’t really see any benefits or drawbacks in a pocket knife.
Im a vegetarian as technically cows are made of grass and water.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

One negative is they make it much more difficult to cut curves or change the direction of a cut in rigid materials vs a shorter height blade.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Good list of answers Wartstein. Another advantage is that a wider blade can be more easily positioned in a design to leave the cutting edge lower than the handle (for making cuts on flat surfaces).
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

I like Spyderco's wide, leaf-shaped knives vs the Para-style knives...

...until it's time to put them back into the pocket.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Cl1ff

Post by Cl1ff »

I like knives in all places on the spectrum, or really “tree” is a more appropriate term.
Wide blades are really good for what I’d call major cuts, no matter the size, because it keeps things stable and increases surface area and strength consequently.
For example, large chopping knives are often quite wide, especially when cutting meat, bones, or wood. The thinner, longer, ones are used for any cutting that requires reach, reduced resistance (especially in soft but fibrous material), and maneuverability.
The added variable of blade spine/stock thickness, of course, complicates what can be used for anything fitting into the above outlined uses. I’m thinking all of the varieties of Nepalese knives like short and wide kukris or long and thin ones from top to bottom.
This is also very obvious in the numerous styles of swords from across the world and time.
If I wanted a smaller knife to “punch above it’s weight”, but keep very thin stock, I’d widen the height of blade.
One of the reasons Spyderco’s Watu catches my eye has to do with its fusion of those traits.
At the base it is a very wide knife that I think would prove excellent if used in long push cuts where you don’t want wavering. At the tip, because of its clipped shape, I think it’s use is well suited to quick precise turns and cutting mediums with little surface area induced resistance.
The Watu carries one of my very preferred blade designs and this is one of the reasons why.
Last edited by Cl1ff on Sat Nov 14, 2020 8:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
rex121 is the king of steel, but nature’s teeth have been cutting for hundreds of millions of years and counting :cool:
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I think the biggest benefit to a tall blade like that on the Manix is it ensures you will never forget the knife is in your pocket, thereby always giving you the confidence of someone who carries a knife and preventing the always looming wash cycle! :p In all seriousness, I think Wartstein covered most, here’s the points I really agree with, along with a note from me.
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:31 am
At a given bladestock-thickness a taller blade will have an advantage over a not so wide blade when it comes to cutting geometry. Just cause the primary grind angle is more acute.
A potential downside to this is that the taller blade, while producing a more acute primary grind, also causes a lot more friction as material has to slide up the entire height of the blade. This is most problematic with soft and wet/sticky material like cheese.
2.) Potentially helps with thinner blade stock
The "wideness" adds stability / rigidity to a blade, so it can be thinner in the spine potentially
5.) "Steers" more stable trough stuff that gets cut
Think of cardboard or the like.
On the flip side: A bit harde to make turning cuts in material (again, cardboard..)
6.) Allows for a pronounced belly
If that is desired
7.) Allows for more options concerning tip geometry
As you can see, like everything else in this world, there are cons that come with the pros. I do like taller blades like that on the Manix and Shaman. They just give me a little more confidence, a really narrow blade like the Ikuchi looks like it just isn’t as stout. I also think they can look less “stabby” which helps with their social acceptance. Going back to the Ikuchi, if you were to flip that out versus something like a Sage, I think the Sage would get a lot less concerning looks.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

8. They look cooler.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Ez556 wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:35 am
I think the biggest benefit to a tall blade like that on the Manix is it ensures you will never forget the knife is in your pocket, thereby always giving you the confidence of someone who carries a knife and preventing the always looming wash cycle! :p In all seriousness, I think Wartstein covered most, here’s the points I really agree with, along with a note from me.
Wartstein wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:31 am
A potential downside to this is that the taller blade, while producing a more acute primary grind, also causes a lot more friction as material has to slide up the entire height of the blade. This is most problematic with soft and wet/sticky material like cheese.
True (the friction thing), and something I never really considered myself...
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:46 am
One negative is they make it much more difficult to cut curves or change the direction of a cut in rigid materials vs a shorter height blade.
JD Spydo wrote:
VooDooChild wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:10 am
It is interesting to note that most "chef's Knives" are pretty wide. And in the culinary selections most all of those knives bigger than a typical paring knife tends to be pretty wide by comparison.
What David says puts better what I meant with "steers more stable trough material" but "makes "turning cuts" in material harder".

/ I am not a Chef at all, but I could imagine that what David and I expressed above probably is a main reason why many chef´s knives blades are pretty wide/ tall (besides that it helps with a more acute primary bevel):

When cutting stuff on a board in the kitchen (think a large cucumber for example) one probably DOES want that stability and does NOT want to enhance the likelyhood of the blade to turn and shift during the cut, right? (For normally straight cuts are the goal).
Additionally, when cutting up stuff in the kitchen lets say in slices, one normally wants to move each slice out of the way / to the side, and a wide blade gives more surface and better leverage to do so (again, think of cutting up a wide cucumber, and push each new slice to the side.).

But if a chef has to debone a roast or something, probably a thin, not to wide blade will better.

Again, just guessing here.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Cl1ff wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:59 am
One of the reasons Spyderco’s Watu catches my eye has to do with its fusion of those traits.
At the base it is a very wide knife that I think would prove excellent if used in long push cuts where you don’t want wavering. At the tip, because of its clipped shape, I think it’s use is well suited to quick precise turns and cutting mediums with little surface area induced resistance.
The Watu carries one of my very preferred blade designs and this is one of the reasons why.

Agreed! Really like the Watu 'clip' blade shape. What keeps me from buying it is fear of my hand slipping forward. Will wait for a guarded version.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

I love the looks and feel of a wide-bladed knife; however, as noted above by Evil D and Wartstein, applicability of the knife design depends on the task at hand, such as preferring a thinner, more flexible filleting knife for fish.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!