Have any of you noticed a change in Seki FRN?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Have any of you noticed a change in Seki FRN?

Post by Doc Dan »

Have any of you noticed a change in the texture of Seki FRN? I have a gray and a purple Delica, a gray Endura, and orange, purple, and yellow Dragonflies from a few years ago. They all feel smooth and a bit gummy or tacky, or something (edit: I meant creamy smooth). I bought a Teal Endura, Yellow Dragonfly, Forest Green and GITD Delicas over the last year and a half and they all feel a bit sandy or something (edit: I meant to add chalky)They definitely do not feel the same.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Evil D

Re: Have any of you noticed a change in Seki FRN?

Post by Evil D »

My only new (or I guess newest production) Seki FRN is my Rock Jumper, I really don't feel any difference but I also don't have a lot of newer production models to compare it to. My other newest FRN models are from Golden and both are Native 5's which honestly feel like straight up plastic compared to the Rock Jumper, I really don't understand why they made those handles so blocky.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I just compared a many years old Delica 4 to my Rock Jumper and I don't detect any obvious differences.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I haven't noticed any difference
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Perhaps it is something on the scales of my knives but there is a noticeable difference in feel. One is chalky and the other is creamy, or something. It is hard to describe. I promise I am not taking or smoking anything.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

i haven't noticed on mine and i have many Seki knives.

couple thoughts..

could you have some fakes perhaps?

where do you live again? i feel like i remember you living in a jungle environment? perhaps it is environmental? your older ones were left in the sun or something and the FRN changed a little? UV can be very damaging to plastics. its why car seat have expiration dates.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
dj moonbat

Post by dj moonbat »

To me, there is a definite change in the feel of FRN between two knives that I bought 5-10 years ago and the Rockjumper I got a few weeks back. The newer stuff feels less yielding, and as OP says, the nylon itself has some slight texture, aside from what gets injection molded into it.

Basically, I’d say the newer formulation or process yields FRN that’s a couple steps closer to feeling like G10.

I definitely recall discussion a while back about how they had changed the recipe slightly, and how the enhanced rigidity was letting them make LW versions of knives they couldn’t make before. So I suspect that’s when it started.
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

I'm comparing a Para 3 LW I just got last week to my K390 Delica that I got when they came out earlier this year. The Para 3 has a certain "ping" to it when I flick the FRN with my fingernail, but it is a more open design with a Compression Lock and the Delica scales are more closed and fully supported with a back lock. That pinging resonance may just be the difference in the design of the two. The surface finish of the FRN on the Para 3 is smoother than on the Delica.

When I got the Para 3 I thought the scales were still very stiff for being able to see that much daylight between them. Harder FRN? Maybe.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I haven’t noticed any differences between the current Seki FRN and “old” (late 1990s into 2K) Seki FRN.

Now, when I got my first (and so far, only) Golden FRN, a Native 5 LWT, I did notice that the Golden FRN felt more plasticky and ‘hard’, while Seki’s FRN felt a bit softer in comparison. Personally, I prefer Seki’s FRN over Golden’s.

Jim
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

The FRN handle on my Endela (now lost 😔) from a few months ago feels just the same as those on my older Seki Spydercos dating back as far as 2007.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Bill1170 wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:18 pm
The FRN handle on my Endela (now lost 😔) from a few months ago feels just the same as those on my older Seki Spydercos dating back as far as 2007.

Bill,

So sorry to hear you lost it. :(

Jim
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

James Y wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:15 pm
Bill1170 wrote:

Bill,

Jim
Thanks, Jim. I believe it’s the first Spyderco I’ve ever lost. For the first few weeks I thought it’d turn up. It had very little use before I lost it.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:20 am
i haven't noticed on mine and i have many Seki knives.

couple thoughts..

could you have some fakes perhaps?

where do you live again? i feel like i remember you living in a jungle environment? perhaps it is environmental? your older ones were left in the sun or something and the FRN changed a little? UV can be very damaging to plastics. its why car seat have expiration dates.
Not fakes. Exclusives bought from KW and CS etc.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

dj moonbat wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:00 am
To me, there is a definite change in the feel of FRN between two knives that I bought 5-10 years ago and the Rockjumper I got a few weeks back. The newer stuff feels less yielding, and as OP says, the nylon itself has some slight texture, aside from what gets injection molded into it.

Basically, I’d say the newer formulation or process yields FRN that’s a couple steps closer to feeling like G10.

I definitely recall discussion a while back about how they had changed the recipe slightly, and how the enhanced rigidity was letting them make LW versions of knives they couldn’t make before. So I suspect that’s when it started.
Thank you. I knew I was not losing my mind. And you said it better than I did.

Now that you mention it, I seem to remember that discussion.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Bill1170 wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:56 pm
James Y wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 5:15 pm
Bill1170 wrote:

Bill,

Jim
Thanks, Jim. I believe it’s the first Spyderco I’ve ever lost. For the first few weeks I thought it’d turn up. It had very little use before I lost it.
Check between the console and where the seat belt anchors and also where the seat is bolted.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:42 pm
Bill1170 wrote:
Check between the console and where the seat belt anchors and also where the seat is bolted.
Best bet is to move the seat all of the way fwd, and crawl in to the back seat with a flashlight and look at all of the areas to the sides and beneath the seat.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Naperville wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:48 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:42 pm
Bill1170 wrote:
Best bet is to move the seat all of the way fwd, and crawl in to the back seat with a flashlight and look at all of the areas to the sides and beneath the seat.
I’ll give it a try. I looked there already, but it’s worth a second pass.
araneae

Post by araneae »

Zero difference detected and I have piles of FRN, new and old.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I ran my finger nail across the smooth area of my forest green 204P . It has some grit in the texture compared to my old gray one.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
James Y

Post by James Y »

Doc Dan wrote:
Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:12 am
I ran my finger nail across the smooth area of my forest green 204P . It has some grit in the texture compared to my old gray one.

I’ve had some slight (very slight) variations of texture in the smooth area of Seki FRN throughout the years. One way or the other. My Endela’s smooth areas are smoother than many of my older FRN handles were. Also, as I’m sure you’re aware, the smooth areas naturally become smoother over time with handling and use, anyway.

Jim