Spyderco Viking Neck Knife?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
storyville

Spyderco Viking Neck Knife?

Post by storyville »

Has Spyderco ever considered making a Spydie version of the Viking neck knife (or sometimes called 'finger knife')?

For those who don't know what it is, it's a very small fixed blade, usually a 4.5–5 cm (about 1.75"–2") drop point or upswept point with a lot of belly to extend the cutting edge. The handle is basically a steel 'tail' that extends back along the spine and curls under itself toward the knife's back edge to create a one- or two-finger grip, with 8–10 cm overall length (about 3"–4"). It's more common in Europe, and they are generally forged from plain carbon steels. You can do a simple online search to find images.

It basically makes for the smallest footprint possible for a small fixed blade with reasonable amount of control and comfort. They are ideal, IMO, for 'survival tin' type kits. The 'skeletonized' ring handle seems to provide the requisite 'Spydie hole' for a Spyderco design, hence my query. I think it would be a logical and great addition to its its fixed-blade line-up. Anyone else think so?!
JuPaul

Re: Spyderco Viking Neck Knife?

Post by JuPaul »

I had to Google viking neck knife, but they're really cool. Lots of the ones I found were really beautiful and artistic, too. I think the new Swick 5/6 might fill a similar role, but it's a cool idea and I'd love to see how Spyderco would adapt the concept. Maybe as part of the ethnic series?
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I think the A.R.K. occupies the same space as the Viking Neck Knife. They are both small neck knives with plenty of belly and upswept tips.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Frozenspyder

Post by Frozenspyder »

I had to Google it as well. Beautiful, yet simple, and functional knives. The idea behind them seems to fit well with Spyderco. I'd like to see what their version would be like.
storyville

Post by storyville »

Spyderco could just keep it traditional and punch a small hole just below the spine, but I figure someone could come up with a spin that honors the traditional design but makes it, well, uniquely Spydie. (Leaf-shaped blade, anyone?) Producing it in a good stainless (LC200N, cough cough) would immediately set it apart, too.

At a time when seemingly every historically forged design, e.g., every kind of sword, kukri, axe, spear, puukko, Bowie, friction folder, machete, billhook, etc., is now mass-produced, it’s interesting and kinda funny to find one that is still pretty much only forged from traditional carbon steel. But the Viking neck knife would be much easier than most other patterns to mass produce, and it kinda whispers, “Spyderco, modernize me.” :)
Christian Noble

Post by Christian Noble »

For a small neck knife, would love to see a Salt version of the Simonich Bitterroot. Rob Simonich was a great knifemaker (and super nice guy) who unfortunately passed away in 2003. Made that suggestion of an H-1 Bitterroot to the Spyderco booth at Blade Show many years ago. I believe Bladeart has exclusivity for Talonite only of the blade. Would suspect Christine would be down for having her late husband's design out there. And it already has round holes... :-)

I have several of these knives from Rob and love'em. Was brought up here back in 2008: viewtopic.php?t=32455
sal

Post by sal »

I think Fred Perrin's "LaGriffe" is similar and small. Fred uses the a lanyard as part of the handle for purchase. We currently have the ARK and a pair of Swicks on the horizon. I'll keep it in mind for the future.

Hey Christian, Thanx for the memory job on Rob. Good man, good maker. A loss for the industry.

sal