GB Air Return?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

GB Air Return

Bring it back the EXACT same way
18%
Bring it back with some changes (please explain)
76%
Not interested in the GB Air
6%

Total votes: 66

blades&wrenches

Re: GB Air Return?

Post by blades&wrenches »

Heck yeah bring it back. Same scales and steel are fine with me, just strengthen the detent. I don’t even care about a pocket clip option.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

blades&wrenches wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:45 am
Heck yeah bring it back. Same scales and steel are fine with me, just strengthen the detent. I don’t even care about a pocket clip option.
Yep. That'd be good. I still like 204P/M390 better for a pocket knife. No clip, though. Good call.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I’ll second Tony and Dan... 204p would be cool, up the detent, Don’t need no stinking clip!!!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

Stainless, just a touch of belly, wire clip and a darker carbon fiber ... I’d probably get whatever comes out as I kick myself for missing it but those would be my preferred options.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I'm seeing a lot of recommendations that would make this knife heavier. Why? The purpose of this knife is to give a useable amount of blade in just 1.2 strong, safe ounces.

Heavy up some other knife with micarta, thicker scales, G10, bone, backlock, clip, larger size...or don't call it the "Air." This is the knife I take when going ultralight; I have loads of options if I want to carry a heavier knife.

I would be pleased with any technical innovation that could make the knife even lighter in weight, while offering equivalent degrees of strength, safety, and edge.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

^^ OK. Give me that blade shape in an Endura sized package :D
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

The main reasons I got rid of mine were the lack of a clip and that it was too light.

Nix the scales, add a wire clip, give it the salt treatment and it would be a top contender in my gentleman's carry category.

Edit: Since it would weigh a bit more, we could call it the "Ozone".
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
awa54

Post by awa54 »

The two suggestions I like most so far are switching to CTS 204P (since it's a Taichung semi-regular already) and a wire pocket clip. Some new and different fiberglas or carbon fiber scales would be nice, though micarta would also suit it just fine.

While I've never had issues with the detent on mine, at least not to the point that it ever opened in my pocket or caused me to worry about that, a stronger detent certainly wouldn't hurt... but what It really needs is to have a thinner primary bevel! ...a small gentleman's knife has no reason to be ground anywhere near as thick behind the edge as mine is.

Also, while a (fluted?) Ti RIL version would be super sexy, I doubt I'd be willing to spring for a $250+ GB Air :(
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...