Very happy with Maxamet EDC

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
knife__bro69

Very happy with Maxamet EDC

Post by knife__bro69 »

I work as a university chef, mostly cutting boxes, packaging, and zip tie type materials. Ive used a wide variety of steels at this point, and after watching Big Brown Bear’s videos on maxamet, decided to give it a go.

So far after edcing for about a month, it is still hair shaving sharp on the factory edge. It has a tiny chip, and when I say tiny I mean tiny, on the edge where it hit a stainless steel surface, but it still shaves hair and slices paper with no hiccups.

There are hints of a patina, but not much of one. For being such low chromium content I expected to see more, but it has not shown any signs of corrosion. It has gotten wet and dirty but I keep my stuff clean. Oiled once with mineral oil when I first got it.

The most interesting part of maxamet is that it seems to cut very aggressively. Im assuming it is the larger carbides playing a role. It seems to really want to bite into whatever material, be it thin plastic wrap or dense cardboard.

I have yet to sharpen it but I am not really that concerned with sharpening maxamet as I have a CBN stone. I also want to preserve the edge health and use the edge until dull and start with the CBN and leave a coarse finish with strops.

My knife is the PM2 in Maxamet. I couldnt be happier with the performance.
VooDooChild

Re: Very happy with Maxamet EDC

Post by VooDooChild »

Awesome.
But its still recommended you dont let it get completely dull. It takes alot of sharpening to get it back to shaving sharp.
With that said, do what you want.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
kobold

Post by kobold »

I am also a big Maxamet fan. I am getting a lot of patina, the Spyderco logo is almost invisible on my Para 3. It's oiled, but was not used for a month.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
knife__bro69

Post by knife__bro69 »

VooDooChild wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:19 am
Awesome.
But its still recommended you dont let it get completely dull. It takes alot of sharpening to get it back to shaving sharp.
What would you touch it up with?
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

knife__bro69 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:09 pm
VooDooChild wrote:
Awesome.
I think that a diamond paste or a diamond wet stone will work no problem.

I have a Native 5 Maxamet knife and I use it around the house. It's fantastic, so much so that I am looking for another Maxamet knife to buy....might get the Para 2. I wish that there were more Maxamet options.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
knife__bro69

Post by knife__bro69 »

Naperville wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:36 pm
knife__bro69 wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:09 pm
VooDooChild wrote:
Awesome.
I think that a diamond paste or a diamond wet stone will work no problem.

I have a Native 5 Maxamet knife and I use it around the house. It's fantastic, so much so that I am looking for another Maxamet knife to buy....might get the Para 2. I wish that there were more Maxamet options.
I actually just touched it up on a spyderco fine stone this morning and it worked like a charm.
Chieforman

Post by Chieforman »

Is it totally impractical to think that I could sharpen my maxamet knife with the Spyderco sharpening kit?
Donut

Post by Donut »

Chieforman wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:08 pm
Is it totally impractical to think that I could sharpen my maxamet knife with the Spyderco sharpening kit?
I think you could do it with the Diamond or CBN rods. You can probably do polishing with the normal ceramic rods.
-Brian
A distinguished lurker.
Waiting on a Squeak and Pingo with a Split Spring!
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

For aggressive low grit edges, should one go maxamet or s110v?
kobold

Post by kobold »

GarageBoy wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:38 am
For aggressive low grit edges, should one go maxamet or s110v?
I think s110v.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10