FFG LC200N Aqua Salt Poll

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Would you buy a full flat grind LC200N Aqua Salt?

Yes
44%
Maybe
42%
No
15%

Total votes: 48

vivi

FFG LC200N Aqua Salt Poll

Post by vivi »

Would you buy one? Would you prefer PE or SE?

I've been using my H1 Aqua Salt a lot lately. I've always thought this knife with a full flat grind would make it even better.

:unicorn
Fireman

Re: FFG LC200N Aqua Salt Poll

Post by Fireman »

FFG+PE=-$
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

Did the sheath ever get fixed? I had an early run and the sheath dulled the blade, very easily for the PE models.
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Serrated FFG would be great, uncoated blade. I like a bright, easy-to-spot handle like yellow or nuclear green.
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

PE from lower side, SE from upper.
My father has a similar 60 year old diving knife, but with unknown stainless steel and symmetrical handle
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Yes.
Its such a good utilitarian knife.
Ill go pe since I already have a se h1 aqua salt.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Freediver

Post by Freediver »

Yes I would.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

yes and also a rock salt :D
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

Yes. I want it PE though. I have the serrated H1 version, and I'd really like to see an uncoated PE FFG version in LC200N - but please no green handle.
--Jeremy
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

FFG is not required for me as I prefer a HHG, but a plain edge Aqua would make a great fixed blade. Yellow, green, orange, and black for noir only types.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
jkurtz7

Post by jkurtz7 »

I would as long as the handle is black, no bright green or yellow. It would have to be plain edge.
Last edited by jkurtz7 on Wed Nov 11, 2020 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dragonfly 2 Wharncliffe - Dragonfly 2 - Dragonfly 2 Damascus - Urban Sprint AEB-L - Pacific Salt - Endura 4 - Ulize - Para 3 LW - Dragonfly 2 Salt
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

vivi wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:03 pm

I've been using my H1 Aqua Salt a lot lately. I've always thought this knife with a full flat grind would make it even better.

Vivi, you've got a Waterway as well, right? I'm just curious what advantages you see in a ffg lc200n Aqua Salt over the Waterway.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
vivi

Post by vivi »

JuPaul wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:58 am
vivi wrote:

Vivi, you've got a Waterway as well, right? I'm just curious what advantages you see in a ffg lc200n Aqua Salt over the Waterway.
- The handle is thicker, rounder and more contoured. I find the ergonomics better.

- The handle texture is less abrasive, making the Aqua Salt better for extended work.

- The handle shape is more secure with the flared ends.

- The thumb ramp is nice and wide, making it more comfortable to use with my thumb up along the spine.

- The edge comes closer to the handle for better leverage.

- 1/4" more compact overall while offering 1/4" more blade.

- $25 cheaper

- 2 whole grams lighter :p

I compared the two head to head on multiple trips and ended up selling my Waterway.

Aside from the full flat grind, slightly better edge holding and more compact sheath design, I prefer the Aqua Salt. I like the handle much more, its one of my favorite Spyderco handles folding or fixed.

I came to similar conclusions VS my Street Bowie. I love all three designs and prefer the flat ground blades, but the Aqua Salt handle is perfect for me and with a thinned out edge it cuts ok on most materials.

To be clear I use these knives more as general purpose outdoors knives than like a Salt. My last camping trip the Aqua Salt did all the cutting my hatchet didn't. Food, rope, wood carving, a little batoning and trimming back some undergrowth to make room for hammocks or tarps.

If I compared them head to head as diving or fishing knives I may come to different conclusions.
:unicorn
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

vivi wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:39 am
JuPaul wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:58 am
vivi wrote:

- The handle is thicker, rounder and more contoured. I find the ergonomics better.

- The handle texture is less abrasive, making the Aqua Salt better for extended work.

- The handle shape is more secure with the flared ends.

- The thumb ramp is nice and wide, making it more comfortable to use with my thumb up along the spine.

- The edge comes closer to the handle for better leverage.

- 1/4" more compact overall while offering 1/4" more blade.

- $25 cheaper

- 2 whole grams lighter :p

I compared the two head to head on multiple trips and ended up selling my Waterway.

Aside from the full flat grind, slightly better edge holding and more compact sheath design, I prefer the Aqua Salt. I like the handle much more, its one of my favorite Spyderco handles folding or fixed.

I came to similar conclusions VS my Street Bowie. I love all three designs and prefer the flat ground blades, but the Aqua Salt handle is perfect for me and with a thinned out edge it cuts ok on most materials.

To be clear I use these knives more as general purpose outdoors knives than like a Salt. My last camping trip the Aqua Salt did all the cutting my hatchet didn't. Food, rope, wood carving, a little batoning and trimming back some undergrowth to make room for hammocks or tarps.

If I compared them head to head as diving or fishing knives I may come to different conclusions.
Thanks for the detailed response! Were I to get one of these (if we ever see the Aqua Salt in lc20on, that is), I'd also be using it as general outdoors knife. So nice to hear your thoughts concerning that use case.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Sam27

Post by Sam27 »

Not sure about a full flat grind, I like to be able to clamp the spine of the knife even to sharpen on the kme system. With a full flat grind I would be concerned that the blade would not align properly.
Sam27

Post by Sam27 »

I like the Aqua Salt grind just swap the steels. Especially for the plain edge.
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Dear Sam27:

Welcome to the Spyderco Forum.

Stay safe,

Mike
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

Is the Waterway going to be back in stock, or is it discontinued?
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

There has been no announcement of the Waterway being discontinued. I would imagine it was just another victim of the production backlogs of the past 18+ months.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
5-by-5

Post by 5-by-5 »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:43 am
There has been no announcement of the Waterway being discontinued. I would imagine it was just another victim of the production backlogs of the past 18+ months.
Some of the distributors say back order or pre order. So I'm hopefully.