Seki lockbacks vs. Golden lockbacks

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TenGrainBread

Seki lockbacks vs. Golden lockbacks

Post by TenGrainBread »

I tend to prefer back/mid-locks. Right now I have a few and I've noticed that the Golden lockbacks behave differently from the Seki lockbacks.

In my experience, Golden lock bars tend to be relatively easy to push down, with only moderate resistance from the spring, but only unlock when the lock bar is almost completely at the end of its travel.

My Seki lock bars tend to have more spring resistance, making them harder to push, but unlock a little earlier in the lock bar travel. Just to throw in one more data point, my only Taichung lockback also has a very strong spring.

Anyone else notice this, or is it just my own anecdotal experience?

My lockback knives, for reference:
Golden: Native 5 Salt, Native Chief
Seki: Police 4, Endura 4
Taichung: Chaparral FRN
SpyderGrill

Re: Seki lockbacks vs. Golden lockbacks

Post by SpyderGrill »

I havent noticed any difference but seen many complain of the Chaparral being tough to unlock.
dan31

Post by dan31 »

The golden back locks are fantastic. The native 5 g10 back locks are my favorite of any lock.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I have and had quite some Seki lockbacks, but I think actually just one single Golden lockback (Native 5 LW).
Can´t recall any real difference in spring tension.

Actually all of my Seki lockbacks are pretty easy to push down, and I would NOT like them to be pushed down even easier/not like them to have less spring tension.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

TenGrainBread wrote: I tend to prefer back/mid-locks. Right now I have a few and I've noticed that the Golden lockbacks behave differently from the Seki lockbacks.

In my experience, Golden lock bars tend to be relatively easy to push down, with only moderate resistance from the spring, but only unlock when the lock bar is almost completely at the end of its travel.

My Seki lock bars tend to have more spring resistance, making them harder to push, but unlock a little earlier in the lock bar travel. Just to throw in one more data point, my only Taichung lockback also has a very strong spring.

Anyone else notice this, or is it just my own anecdotal experience?

My lockback knives, for reference:
Golden: Native 5 Salt, Native Chief
Seki: Police 4, Endura 4
Taichung: Chaparral FRN
Yes, what you said is true.
I like backlocks and think the Golden made backlocks are the best out there.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
James Y

Post by James Y »

The only Golden back locks I own are a G10 Native 5 and a Native 5 LWT.

OTOH, I own numerous Seki back locks.

The lockup on my two Golden back locks feels stronger, and the notches of the locks go deeper than on the Seki back locks. But because I ended up not liking the Native 5’s much, I prefer the Seki ones. To me, it has nothing to do with WHERE they were made, but how much I like the particular knife models themselves. And I’ve never had any failures of a Seki or Golden Spyderco back lock during use.

Jim
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I haven't noticed any difference in force to unlock but I've had issues with pivot play and lock rock and such, and I've had much less of those issues with Golden made back locks. The Rock Jumper on the other hand has been very solid and locks up better than any other Seki back lock I've owned. It does have a tiny bit of lock rock when you move the blade up and down while opened but I bet over time the lock bar will wear into the tang better and that'll go away.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I've never had any issues with either. I also never really paid attention to the stiffness of the lockbar or where it disengages at. As long as when I push it, it closes, I'm happy. None have failed to do so, yet.

I have experienced slight lock rock in ALL of them. But, do not consider it a problem. A small amount of lock rock is almost inherent on backlocks. I had ONE Native 5 G10 that didn't have any lock rock, initially. However, it did show up almost immediately, after some use.

I would say I prefer Seki. But, that is only because my favorite knives with backlocks are from Seki(Old Moki, too). It has nothing to do with the lock itself.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

Interesting to hear that some people don't notice any difference in force required to push the lock bar. Perhaps it's just my knives. By the way, all of them work perfectly and lock up right.

I have a handheld force gauge. Maybe I'll take some measurements.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I definitely prefer the long lock travel needed to unlock for Golden models.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Golden lockup feels far more solid to me. I've never gotten lock rock on a native but I have on seki knives. Nothing bad, but noticable.

I've never noticed a big difference in spring tension.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Prefer Golden backlocks over Seki due to zero up and down play. However, it seems like Seki has improved their game in the last few years. I love my new damascus zome Delica. Moki is nice too. I hope for more Moki models in the future because when they are perfect they are Spyderco's best IMO
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
vivi

Post by vivi »

I have two golden lockbacks in my collection. C95 Manix sprint and a Siren.

The Manix has regular lockbar tension and there is lock rock when pushing the cutting edge into a cutting board.

The Siren has weaker lockbar tension and similar lock rock.

I have heard for years how golden lockbacks have no play, but I've never experienced one. From the Siren back to the $40 Walmart Native, all mine had some lock rock.

Ironically, the only Spyderco lockback I've owned with no play is from Seki. See this post - viewtopic.php?f=2&t=87977
:unicorn
Hardbawl

Post by Hardbawl »

Both are good. However, in my never to be humble opinion, the Golden Backlock is made to tighter tolerances. AND the finger choil on the Native and the Chief allow for SAFE one handed closing. This is a big plus on the farm.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I remember back in the late ‘90s (?) or early 2K, being interested in the original Golden Native. But after having handled a number of them back then at different places, they all had what I considered too much play in the locked position, so I passed.

Golden has definitely stepped up their back lock game considerably, but IMO, so has Seki/G. Sakai. All of the Seki back locks I’ve gotten in recent years have been either completely free of lock rock, or had the minimal amount that never developed any further.

Jim
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

I agree. All of my Spyderco lockback knives are solid, with no lock rock. I wasn't really intending for this thread to be about lock rock anyway, as I feel that topic has been discussed more than enough. This was more about the engineering and usability of the lock disengagement. I was wondering if my observation about Golden having a lighter spring with a stricter travel requirement vs. Seki having a strong spring but a more lax travel requirement was true, and if so if it is a conscious engineering decision or just divergent designs.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

It all depends on how the knife is designed, not where it is made.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

The main difference I notice between my Seki & Golden lockbacks is that the Golden models will drop shut when the lock is depressed in comparison to the Seki models who need a little more encouragement to close. There was a bit of a break in period on the Native Salt though.

As far as spring tension goes. I think they’re almost equal. The thing you have to keep in mind is. On the Seki models (at least the ones I own) the lock bars are thinner than the Golden models so it feels like there is more pressure because there is more pressure. However the pressure is not because one factory’s spring is stronger than another’s, it’s because the lock bar is thinner and it’s putting more pounds per square inch on your finger, making it feel stronger. I could be wrong, someone please correct me if I am.

For reference I own:
USA: Native Salt & Siren
Seki City Japan: Police 4 Lightweight, 2 Delicas, Tasman, Ladybug & Pacific Salt LC200N.

Edit: Just an FYI none of my Spyderco lockbacks have any lock rock, horizontal or vertical play.
Last edited by BLUETYPEII on Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

BLUETYPEII, that's an interesting theory and I can see the truth to it. Once I get my hands on the force gauge I have at the office I will be able to put it to the test. The force gauge doesn't care about the thickness of the lock bar.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I have a Manix 2 back lock and a Native 5 LW. I also have a box of various Seki models. It seems to me that the Golden back locks lock deeper into the tang and have a better overall fit. That is splitting hairs, though, because the Seki models are always superb, especially this past year or two. I think the Seki knives are getting better. The last few Enduras and Delicas I have bought, all exclusives, have been really superior.

As far as strength, I recall Blade HQ testing these and the blades broke and not the locks on the Seki models. That is plenty strong.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050