2020 Seconds Sale - BREAKING NEWS

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
User avatar
archangel
Member
Posts: 1432
Joined: Mon Mar 23, 2015 2:02 pm
Location: Wuppertal, Germany, Earth

Re: 2020 Seconds Sale - BREAKING NEWS

Postby archangel » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:28 am

yablanowitz wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:02 am
Woodpuppy wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:02 am
Sounds like there’s be nothing left for the non-forum members.

I didn’t think I’d check out the sale due to finances, but I could be interested in a millie if the version were right.
Seriously? If every active forum member bought a dozen knives or spent $1000 dollars, there would still be stock left based on what I have seen in past years.

I think so, too.
Michael
The count is 37 / 34

User avatar
Woodpuppy
Member
Posts: 2294
Joined: Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:38 pm
Location: Florida

Re: 2020 Seconds Sale - BREAKING NEWS

Postby Woodpuppy » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:25 am

yablanowitz wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:02 am
Woodpuppy wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 6:02 am
Sounds like there’s be nothing left for the non-forum members.

I didn’t think I’d check out the sale due to finances, but I could be interested in a millie if the version were right.
Seriously? If every active forum member bought a dozen knives or spent $1000 dollars, there would still be stock left based on what I have seen in past years.
Cool. I have never seen the sale, so I’ll have to rely on those who have.
:spyder: My other blade is a Kelly Perfect :spyder:

robis1923
Member
Posts: 23
Joined: Fri Jul 31, 2020 1:12 pm
Location: Evergreen

Re: 2020 Seconds Sale - BREAKING NEWS

Postby robis1923 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:40 am

archangel wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:28 am
Proposal/Idea: Forum members that are keen to participate must send with PM their SFO login name to a nominated :spyder: official. Forum members must have been registered by Nov 1st, and must have posted at least 10 posts or so.

The Factory Seconds sale website will be open only to registered users on the first day of the sale, then to all customers the day after.

How does that sound?
I think there would be plenty of knives left, but the exclusives and more difficult to attain models would all disappear. Nonetheless, I think the idea is shortsighted. Spyderco also has an official FB group with loads of members as well as subforms elsewhere. I think it would be a misguided decision on their end to give preference to those who are here and not elsewhere.
As with others, I took the day off work in anticipation of attending Friday, so I feel obligated to check it out, but I will quickly find something else to do with my time if the server is bunk due to too much activity.

User avatar
Ez556
Member
Posts: 488
Joined: Tue Nov 20, 2018 8:16 pm

Re: 2020 Seconds Sale - BREAKING NEWS

Postby Ez556 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:29 pm

I live in the midwest and I don’t have the means to travel across the country just for some deals on knives, so I’m really excited to have an opportunity to partake in this seconds sale! I hope it works out to be a user-friendly system.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.

User avatar
VooDooChild
Member
Posts: 1218
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2018 1:29 am

Re: 2020 Seconds Sale - BREAKING NEWS

Postby VooDooChild » Mon Nov 09, 2020 12:45 pm

Have they said what day and time it takes place?
sal wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 8:14 pm
... "The edge is a ghost"...

ABX2011
Member
Posts: 1986
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:54 pm

Re: 2020 Seconds Sale - BREAKING NEWS

Postby ABX2011 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 5:30 pm

I'd like to see a plan that gives us loyal fans and forum members VIP status.

User avatar
cabfrank
Member
Posts: 1021
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 9:07 pm

Re: 2020 Seconds Sale - BREAKING NEWS

Postby cabfrank » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:34 pm

I get what you guys are saying, but it's a sale, and will likely be first come first served, like most sales where membership is not required. After all, the in person sale works that way. If anything, the collector's club members maybe deserve first dibs.

User avatar
TkoK83Spy
Member
Posts: 5416
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:32 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: 2020 Seconds Sale - BREAKING NEWS

Postby TkoK83Spy » Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:55 pm

cabfrank wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:34 pm
I get what you guys are saying, but it's a sale, and will likely be first come first served, like most sales where membership is not required. After all, the in person sale works that way. If anything, the collector's club members maybe deserve first dibs.
Wouldn't CC members already have all these knives? That doesn't seem to make much sense.
23 :spyder:'s in 13 different steels
2 - ZT's - 0460 and 0470
1 - Microtech Ultratech DE OTF
1 - Benchmade 940 (BHQ Exclusive/M4)
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays

-Rick

Spydergirl88
Member
Posts: 7596
Joined: Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:42 pm

Re: 2020 Seconds Sale - BREAKING NEWS

Postby Spydergirl88 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:17 pm

I wish they would sell the Spydie hole cutouts. I've always wanted one. They are so cool

Rp5
Member
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Aug 29, 2020 4:09 pm

Re: 2020 Seconds Sale - BREAKING NEWS

Postby Rp5 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:18 pm

cabfrank wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 7:34 pm
I get what you guys are saying, but it's a sale, and will likely be first come first served, like most sales where membership is not required. After all, the in person sale works that way. If anything, the collector's club members maybe deserve first dibs.
I think their point is that online, as opposed to in-person, at a basic level increases the convenience factor for any John Doe to flip a dozen knives on Ebay for a decent profit without mentioning the factory second nature. Any sort of queue system based on dedicated following of Spyderco products would help weed out that element - at least for more exclusive / hard to find models. I would fully support collectors clubbers getting first dibs, or forum join date / Facebook group join date used as criteria for setting your spot in line.

On the other hand, any sort of "line" system may increase the complexity of an online sale, even to a point of not being worth it. A happy medium could be to just have a preferred status for forum members/facebook groupers which allows say, 1 day early access. This is common in concert ticket sales which run into the same issues of scalpers and large online sales.

User avatar
toocool006
Member
Posts: 340
Joined: Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:42 pm
Location: New Orleans

Re: 2020 Seconds Sale - BREAKING NEWS

Postby toocool006 » Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:53 pm

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 8:17 pm
I wish they would sell the Spydie hole cutouts. I've always wanted one. They are so cool
+1000

I'm excited by the possibilities here! There are a handful of models I'd be looking for, but I wonder how or if they'll be able to preview inventory? But if anyone can pull off something this ambitious, it's the good old SFO crew!!
~andrew

User avatar
The Deacon
Member
Posts: 25423
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Upstate SC, USA
Contact:

Re: 2020 Seconds Sale - BREAKING NEWS

Postby The Deacon » Tue Nov 10, 2020 3:50 am

robis1923 wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:40 am
archangel wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:28 am
Proposal/Idea: Forum members that are keen to participate must send with PM their SFO login name to a nominated :spyder: official. Forum members must have been registered by Nov 1st, and must have posted at least 10 posts or so.

The Factory Seconds sale website will be open only to registered users on the first day of the sale, then to all customers the day after.

How does that sound?
I think there would be plenty of knives left, but the exclusives and more difficult to attain models would all disappear. Nonetheless, I think the idea is shortsighted. Spyderco also has an official FB group with loads of members as well as subforms elsewhere. I think it would be a misguided decision on their end to give preference to those who are here and not elsewhere.
As with others, I took the day off work in anticipation of attending Friday, so I feel obligated to check it out, but I will quickly find something else to do with my time if the server is bunk due to too much activity.

Not saying I think it's a good idea. Not saying I think it's a bad one. Just curious how giving preference to active members of this Forum would be any different than the preference those who live close to Golden have enjoyed in past years?
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

Sumdumguy
Member
Posts: 3279
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Re: 2020 Seconds Sale - BREAKING NEWS

Postby Sumdumguy » Tue Nov 10, 2020 4:22 am

robis1923 wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 11:40 am
archangel wrote:
Mon Nov 09, 2020 2:28 am
Proposal/Idea: Forum members that are keen to participate must send with PM their SFO login name to a nominated :spyder: official. Forum members must have been registered by Nov 1st, and must have posted at least 10 posts or so.

The Factory Seconds sale website will be open only to registered users on the first day of the sale, then to all customers the day after.

How does that sound?
I think there would be plenty of knives left, but the exclusives and more difficult to attain models would all disappear. Nonetheless, I think the idea is shortsighted. Spyderco also has an official FB group with loads of members as well as subforms elsewhere. I think it would be a misguided decision on their end to give preference to those who are here and not elsewhere.
As with others, I took the day off work in anticipation of attending Friday, so I feel obligated to check it out, but I will quickly find something else to do with my time if the server is bunk due to too much activity.
How do you figure? I look at it as taking care of your own.

"Preferential" treatment has been given to those who live in and around Golden for years.

Now that there is going to be an online sale, why shouldn't active and dedicated members of the Spyderco forum get first crack, before the probable $#!+ storm descends upon the sale.

As for the other groups, eh. This is the motherland, they chose the wrong affiliation. :p

We've done the time, why shouldn't we get our backs scratched occasionally?

User avatar
TkoK83Spy
Member
Posts: 5416
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:32 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: 2020 Seconds Sale - BREAKING NEWS

Postby TkoK83Spy » Tue Nov 10, 2020 7:16 am

Sumdumguy...is certainly no dumb guy here ;)
23 :spyder:'s in 13 different steels
2 - ZT's - 0460 and 0470
1 - Microtech Ultratech DE OTF
1 - Benchmade 940 (BHQ Exclusive/M4)
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays

-Rick

User avatar
nerdlock
Member
Posts: 678
Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2020 3:43 am

Re: 2020 Seconds Sale - BREAKING NEWS

Postby nerdlock » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:58 am

I'm glad I'm in the motherland :D
VG10:S30V:S45VN:SPY27:LC200N:XHP:204P:M390:20CV:K390:M4:Cru-Wear:Rex-45:Maxamet

User avatar
Mushroom
Member
Posts: 3107
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:45 pm
Location: Boston, Ma. U.S.A. Earth

Re: 2020 Seconds Sale - BREAKING NEWS

Postby Mushroom » Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:06 am

I don't live near or around golden and I've been to the sale for the past 4 years in a row. Everyone and anyone is allowed to show up. No one, and I do mean no one, is given special treatment at the in person sale. (Although I'm certain accommodations could and would be made for those in need.) Everyone is treated equally and fairly. Spyderco has no control over the geographical advantage someone has because of where they live. It's not their decision to prevent you from attending the sale. Thats your decision.

So in my opinion, it would be wrong to give preference to any group of people. Whether it be this forum or one of Spydercos many groups on social media. Spyderco would be picking and choosing who they feel deserves special treatment. (Remember how upset people got when they couldn't get there hands on a certain Shaman... :rolleyes:)

The online sale should either be open to everyone or it shouldn't happen at all, in my opinion.
Last edited by Mushroom on Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
- Nick

:spyder:

ABX2011
Member
Posts: 1986
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:54 pm

Re: 2020 Seconds Sale - BREAKING NEWS

Postby ABX2011 » Tue Nov 10, 2020 11:29 am

I don't see a problem with giving perks to your most loyal customers and fans. They could open the sale to us early.

Sumdumguy
Member
Posts: 3279
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Re: 2020 Seconds Sale - BREAKING NEWS

Postby Sumdumguy » Tue Nov 10, 2020 12:57 pm

Mushroom wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:06 am
I don't live near or around golden and I've been to the sale for the past 4 years in a row. Everyone and anyone is allowed to show up. No one, and I do mean no one, is given special treatment at the in person sale. (Although I'm certain accommodations could and would be made for those in need.) Everyone is treated equally and fairly. Spyderco has no control over the geographical advantage someone has because of where they live. It's not their decision to prevent you from attending the sale. Thats your decision.

So in my opinion, it would be wrong to give preference to any group of people. Whether it be this forum or one of Spydercos many groups on social media. Spyderco would be picking and choosing who they feel deserves special treatment. (Remember how upset people got when they couldn't get there hands on a certain Shaman... :rolleyes:)

The online sale should either be open to everyone or it shouldn't happen at all, in my opinion.
Not everyone has the funds and/or time to make that trip.

Also, if you paid attention to the punctuation, you would see that "preferential" was in quotation marks.

Preferential treatment in that case not being given directly by Spyderco. But, by their location. Those in and around Golden do not have to shell out an extra thousand dollars on travel and lodging to visit the sale.

That is what I meant by "preferential".

Does this mean I will be upset if they don't do it my way? Nope.

Though, I do believe that it is always in a company's best interest to give a bit of extra attention/perk to the loyal members of their official forum. Same way that building suppliers extend discounts to long time customers

But, I'm just a moron. What do I know?

User avatar
Mushroom
Member
Posts: 3107
Joined: Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:45 pm
Location: Boston, Ma. U.S.A. Earth

Re: 2020 Seconds Sale - BREAKING NEWS

Postby Mushroom » Tue Nov 10, 2020 2:04 pm

Sumdumguy wrote:
Mushroom wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 10:06 am
I don't live near or around golden and I've been to the sale for the past 4 years in a row. Everyone and anyone is allowed to show up. No one, and I do mean no one, is given special treatment at the in person sale. (Although I'm certain accommodations could and would be made for those in need.) Everyone is treated equally and fairly. Spyderco has no control over the geographical advantage someone has because of where they live. It's not their decision to prevent you from attending the sale. Thats your decision.

So in my opinion, it would be wrong to give preference to any group of people. Whether it be this forum or one of Spydercos many groups on social media. Spyderco would be picking and choosing who they feel deserves special treatment. (Remember how upset people got when they couldn't get there hands on a certain Shaman... :rolleyes:)

The online sale should either be open to everyone or it shouldn't happen at all, in my opinion.
Not everyone has the funds and/or time to make that trip.

Also, if you paid attention to the punctuation, you would see that "preferential" was in quotation marks.

Preferential treatment in that case not being given directly by Spyderco. But, by their location. Those in and around Golden do not have to shell out an extra thousand dollars on travel and lodging to visit the sale.

That is what I meant by "preferential".

Does this mean I will be upset if they don't do it my way? Nope.

Though, I do believe that it is always in a company's best interest to give a bit of extra attention/perk to the loyal members of their official forum. Same way that building suppliers extend discounts to long time customers

But, I'm just a moron. What do I know?

Not having the funds or time all factors into the decision to make the trip or not. Spyderco has no control over that decision or the factors involved to make it happen, was my point.

I don't know how you expected me to decipher all of that through your inclusion of quotation marks but I'll take your word for it. Spyderco is headquartered in Golden and they hold the sale at their headquarters because it is the most fair way to host the sale. Any Spyderco fan that happens to live near there is lucky but they're definitely not getting any intentional "preferential" treatment.

I never said you would be upset if they didn't do it your way. What I meant was there will be a lot of other people that will get upset if they do actually do it your suggested way... :rolleyes:

Maybe Spyderco should give early access to the loyal customers that can provide a copy of the receipt from their purchases at last years sale? ;)

I agree though, it is in a companies best interest to reward their long time and loyal customers. That is partly why they even host this sale in the first place. It might as well be called a "customer appreciation event" with how generous they are. (And continue to be, seeing as how they're doing everything logistically possible to make an online sale happen at all)

I've made it this far in life as a moron, it's not as bad as you might think. :)
- Nick

:spyder:

I_like_knives
Member
Posts: 39
Joined: Thu Jul 18, 2019 1:25 am

Re: 2020 Seconds Sale - BREAKING NEWS

Postby I_like_knives » Tue Nov 10, 2020 8:04 pm

Good grief. Entitled much?

Many people, for one reason or another, cannot make a cross country trip to Golden for a knife sale. Meanwhile, there are a bunch of us that are willing make some sacrifices to make it happen. And yet, some Spyderco fans are lucky enough to live right down the road from SFO and the whole thing is no big deal. Life aint fair.

I used to fall into the middle category, taking time off work and driving 14 hours to get to there. But recent events (having a daughter with special needs requiring constant attention) have put me into the first group. We dont even go out to dinner anymore.

But wait, now I get first dibs in the online sale, right? No. Of course not. Why should any of us? Our personal situations, or social media affiliations, have absolutely nothing to do with this event.


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cali, GiftedMisfit, Igi964, JMM, p_atrick, Philo Beddoe, Wright.88 and 41 guests