2020 Seconds Sale - BREAKING NEWS

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
User avatar
TkoK83Spy
Member
Posts: 5080
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:32 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: 2020 Seconds Sale - BREAKING NEWS

Postby TkoK83Spy » Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:49 pm

RustyIron wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:36 pm
w3tnz wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:40 pm

Not sure why people are getting so worked up over factory seconds,
Haha! That's funny. I was asking myself the same thing. People complain that their new knife has a machining mark on the inside of the liner that you can see if you hold your flashlight just right, or that there's a scuff on the edge of the blade that they're going to use to see how much cardboard they can cut. Yet they'll fly across the country to get a "second." Ahdunno. Maybe the prices are too good to pass up. I don't really want anything, but maybe the prices will be too good to pass up.
Haha, that makes me think of the thread that was going around on Friday about the Smock hollow grind lines. Lots of complaining about merely mm's of a grind being off. People that complain about that kind of thing clearly shouldn't even waste their time with the seconds sale because obviously you're not getting perfection!

I think it's a great way to try a different model or steel that has eluded you or you didn't feel like paying the price at the drop. That's what I'm hoping for! Some kind of Native in G10 or a Military.
Last edited by TkoK83Spy on Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
20 :spyder:'s in 11 different steels
2 - ZT's - 0460 and 0470
1 - Microtech Ultratech DE OTF
1 - Civivi Elementum

-Rick

User avatar
curlyhairedboy
Member
Posts: 2219
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:01 am
Location: Southern New England

Re: 2020 Seconds Sale - BREAKING NEWS

Postby curlyhairedboy » Sun Nov 15, 2020 8:06 pm

I like to apply the "desert island" criteria for personal/hobby purchases. I imagine if I'd buy it if I was all alone on a desert island. This nicely prevents purchases made solely to 'flex' based on relative scarcity.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Shaman, CF S90v Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, DLC Lil Native, Sage 5 LW, 4V Shaman, Watu, Rex 45 Shaman, Rex 45 Lil Native, Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, Tanto PM2, Serrated Shaman
Always in Pocket: Hawkbill Dragonfly 2 H1
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Junction, Waterway
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Smallfly G10, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Calendar Watu
Would like to own again: Currently N/A!
Wishlist: Smallfly 2, CQI SpyderEdge Caribbean Sheepsfoot, Shaman Sprints!

User avatar
cabfrank
Member
Posts: 926
Joined: Sun May 08, 2011 9:07 pm

Re: 2020 Seconds Sale - BREAKING NEWS

Postby cabfrank » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:03 pm

w3tnz, I am excited to get a second because I've never had the chance, but really, I know I will start using it right away. It takes me a while to do that with a new one.

User avatar
steelcity16
Member
Posts: 4231
Joined: Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:34 am

Re: 2020 Seconds Sale - BREAKING NEWS

Postby steelcity16 » Sun Nov 15, 2020 10:46 pm

I am excited to try to find a few "that got away" or ones I sold at some point and now regret. There are a handful of these I'll be looking for, and a handful of other users on my list to try to grab. All of my knives are users aside from a few backups of my "grail" knives so I am excited at the chance to grab a handful at a discount and put them to use!
:spyder: CRU-CARTA THEM ALL! :spyder:

w3tnz
Member
Posts: 749
Joined: Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:21 pm
Location: NZL

Re: 2020 Seconds Sale - BREAKING NEWS

Postby w3tnz » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:25 am

Yeah guys I get the appeal, for sure, was just surprised at some of the expectations expressed here. I think the online format has some pros and cons but hopefully it all goes well.

User avatar
RustyIron
Member
Posts: 562
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: La Habra, CA
Contact:

Re: 2020 Seconds Sale - BREAKING NEWS

Postby RustyIron » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:01 am

I think the online format will be GREAT. In person shopping? Google on Black Friday Shoppers to see why. Online shopping. There's this guy, Jeff Bezos, who pretty much created the model for that.

Rinzler
Member
Posts: 190
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:58 am

Re: 2020 Seconds Sale - BREAKING NEWS

Postby Rinzler » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:33 am

I’m sort of conflicted here. The in person seconds sale is “in person” so that you can see, handle, feel, and judge a knife that Spyderco has deemed unacceptable yet functional. Defects are not just cosmetic, there have been MANY desirable knives and sprints that I’ve passed on at the seconds sale because the mechanical function was unacceptable to me as a buyer. I’m guess that of knives I pick up at the seconds sale, > 90% go back in the box after manipulating the action and looking it over.

People, generally speaking, are selfish and only look to their best interest. I wonder how many chargebacks will be initiated by buyers unhappy with what I assume will be a no return policy. I truly hope this works out, but I think this could become a goat rope of epic proportions.

I hope going forward that Spyderco does not discontinue the in person aspect of the seconds sale. Based on my experience I would not participate in only online seconds sales if that were the case. Too high of a likelihood of receiving a knife that doesn’t pass my quality control...

Sumdumguy
Member
Posts: 3170
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:51 pm

Re: 2020 Seconds Sale - BREAKING NEWS

Postby Sumdumguy » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:23 am

Honestly, I agree.

I would be perfectly happy if this was the only online seconds sale.

Not for any issues with it being online, more that it was always meant to be an in person thing. I'm glad they are doing it online, instead of just canceling it. But, even if I'm unable to visit the in person sale, I still appreciate the tradition of the event.

Gives me something to look forward to attending one day.

User avatar
legOFwhat?
Member
Posts: 1540
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:58 am
Location: Kentucky; Earth

Re: 2020 Seconds Sale - BREAKING NEWS

Postby legOFwhat? » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:25 am

This may be a great way to grab some fixed blades for those who avoid these type of knives and may be interested in trying them out. Shouldn't have to worry about janky parts or action, just throw it on your hip and get dirty :D
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

User avatar
bearfacedkiller
Member
Posts: 9915
Joined: Sat Jan 04, 2014 1:22 pm
Location: hiding in the woods...

Re: 2020 Seconds Sale - BREAKING NEWS

Postby bearfacedkiller » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:29 pm

Rinzler wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:33 am
I’m sort of conflicted here. The in person seconds sale is “in person” so that you can see, handle, feel, and judge a knife that Spyderco has deemed unacceptable yet functional. Defects are not just cosmetic, there have been MANY desirable knives and sprints that I’ve passed on at the seconds sale because the mechanical function was unacceptable to me as a buyer. I’m guess that of knives I pick up at the seconds sale, > 90% go back in the box after manipulating the action and looking it over.

People, generally speaking, are selfish and only look to their best interest. I wonder how many chargebacks will be initiated by buyers unhappy with what I assume will be a no return policy. I truly hope this works out, but I think this could become a goat rope of epic proportions.

I hope going forward that Spyderco does not discontinue the in person aspect of the seconds sale. Based on my experience I would not participate in only online seconds sales if that were the case. Too high of a likelihood of receiving a knife that doesn’t pass my quality control...
No kidding. I have done very well at the sale but only by filling my basket with anything and everything that I might be interested in and then going over them with a fine toothed comb. Even after doing that I have had some remorse over a couple. That said, I have also gotten some insane deals.

Back to the dollar amount thing, I have been to three seconds sales and spent between $1100 and $1400 at each one. Things can escalate quickly. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?

User avatar
TkoK83Spy
Member
Posts: 5080
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:32 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: 2020 Seconds Sale - BREAKING NEWS

Postby TkoK83Spy » Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:43 pm

legOFwhat? wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:25 am
This may be a great way to grab some fixed blades for those who avoid these type of knives and may be interested in trying them out. Shouldn't have to worry about janky parts or action, just throw it on your hip and get dirty :D
Funny you say that, because this has crossed my mind! I've never carried a fixed blade and don't want to spend the full price on something I may not use very often...I just want one! Hoping to find one here.
20 :spyder:'s in 11 different steels
2 - ZT's - 0460 and 0470
1 - Microtech Ultratech DE OTF
1 - Civivi Elementum

-Rick

User avatar
legOFwhat?
Member
Posts: 1540
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2018 5:58 am
Location: Kentucky; Earth

Re: 2020 Seconds Sale - BREAKING NEWS

Postby legOFwhat? » Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:28 pm

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:43 pm
legOFwhat? wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:25 am
This may be a great way to grab some fixed blades for those who avoid these type of knives and may be interested in trying them out. Shouldn't have to worry about janky parts or action, just throw it on your hip and get dirty :D
Funny you say that, because this has crossed my mind! I've never carried a fixed blade and don't want to spend the full price on something I may not use very often...I just want one! Hoping to find one here.
How are fixed blades viewed in your neck of the woods? Blade length restrictions?
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”

ABX2011
Member
Posts: 1955
Joined: Thu Oct 01, 2009 7:54 pm

Re: 2020 Seconds Sale - BREAKING NEWS

Postby ABX2011 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 6:06 pm

A mechanical issue would not be worth any discount to me. Any aesthetic issue would be fine. Guess we'll see if they distinguish.

bdblue
Member
Posts: 1480
Joined: Tue Apr 24, 2012 10:04 pm
Location: Dallas, TX

Re: 2020 Seconds Sale - BREAKING NEWS

Postby bdblue » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:58 pm

It seems that there would be very high demand for the sprints and exclusives in certain combinations, and they would be gone in seconds. The mainstream models would probably be gone in a few minutes. After the first 30 minutes maybe there would be a few ladybugs left.

I was wondering how to make it possible for the average person to have a chance of buying something. I thought maybe a person could pick the things they wanted to buy, then there would be a random drawing to see what buyers got matched with inventory, like a NFL draft. You have maybe 20 knives of a certain desirable model but you have 200 buyers, you randomly pick which 20 buyers get one. If they could figure out an easy way to computerize this then it might be a fair way to do it. Then the average person could log in 10 minutes or 2 hours after the sale started and have equal chance of buying something as the professional flipper that has a bank of computers in his mother's basement.

User avatar
TkoK83Spy
Member
Posts: 5080
Joined: Mon Sep 17, 2018 5:32 pm
Location: Syracuse, NY

Re: 2020 Seconds Sale - BREAKING NEWS

Postby TkoK83Spy » Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:49 pm

legOFwhat? wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:28 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:43 pm
legOFwhat? wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:25 am
This may be a great way to grab some fixed blades for those who avoid these type of knives and may be interested in trying them out. Shouldn't have to worry about janky parts or action, just throw it on your hip and get dirty :D
Funny you say that, because this has crossed my mind! I've never carried a fixed blade and don't want to spend the full price on something I may not use very often...I just want one! Hoping to find one here.
How are fixed blades viewed in your neck of the woods? Blade length restrictions?
Hey Larry, I'm honestly not sure. I never see anybody with a fixed blade on them...but that doesn't mean it's not legal! If living in a country setting, I don't think people really care what the law is. I know guys at work that carry them on their land, but not at work or around city areas.
20 :spyder:'s in 11 different steels
2 - ZT's - 0460 and 0470
1 - Microtech Ultratech DE OTF
1 - Civivi Elementum

-Rick

User avatar
RustyIron
Member
Posts: 562
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: La Habra, CA
Contact:

Re: 2020 Seconds Sale - BREAKING NEWS

Postby RustyIron » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:29 pm

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:49 pm
If living in a country setting, I don't think people really care what the law is.
I live in the suburbs and work in the city. I don't think people really care what the law is.

User avatar
curlyhairedboy
Member
Posts: 2219
Joined: Fri Mar 18, 2016 11:01 am
Location: Southern New England

Re: 2020 Seconds Sale - BREAKING NEWS

Postby curlyhairedboy » Tue Nov 17, 2020 7:18 am

Given that the sale is supposed to happen over a few days, I'm curious if there's going to be a 'buying slot' system to handle the volume.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Shaman, CF S90v Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, DLC Lil Native, Sage 5 LW, 4V Shaman, Watu, Rex 45 Shaman, Rex 45 Lil Native, Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, Tanto PM2, Serrated Shaman
Always in Pocket: Hawkbill Dragonfly 2 H1
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Junction, Waterway
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Smallfly G10, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Calendar Watu
Would like to own again: Currently N/A!
Wishlist: Smallfly 2, CQI SpyderEdge Caribbean Sheepsfoot, Shaman Sprints!

User avatar
Pockets
Member
Posts: 1159
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2012 5:28 pm
Location: Iron Islands

Re: 2020 Seconds Sale - BREAKING NEWS

Postby Pockets » Tue Nov 17, 2020 11:08 am

I’ve always wanted to go to one of these sales in person. I’m super excited to get a chance to participate online this year, and hopefully I’ll make it out to Golden one day!

Pokey
Member
Posts: 323
Joined: Fri May 08, 2020 1:11 pm
Location: Thornton, Colorado

Re: 2020 Seconds Sale - BREAKING NEWS

Postby Pokey » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:31 pm

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:29 pm
Back to the dollar amount thing, I have been to three seconds sales and spent between $1100 and $1400 at each one. Things can escalate quickly. :)
Man, I must be doing it wrong. My personal best was only $380. :D

User avatar
JRinFL
Member
Posts: 923
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:30 am
Location: Unfashionable West End of the Galaxy

Re: 2020 Seconds Sale - BREAKING NEWS

Postby JRinFL » Wed Nov 18, 2020 8:50 am

I hope we can all remain positive about this sale. Spyderco is doing us a favor by holding it this year at all.
Used to be JR in CT with a much earlier join date. :rolleyes: :spyder: Native in 440v was my gateway Spyderco! :spyder: Wharnie for the whin! Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], tonijedi and 34 guests