2020 Seconds Sale - BREAKING NEWS

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
steelcity16

Re: 2020 Seconds Sale - BREAKING NEWS

Post by steelcity16 »

spoonrobot wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:16 am
S20 wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 12:25 pm
Dano1987 wrote:
Mon Dec 07, 2020 11:30 am
I hope they don't do it online again. ...

I hope they do it online every year. It gives an opportunity to many more people to buy products from company they like at amazing price, but cannot attend sale in person because of a distance or pandemic. And it doesn't have to be exclusively online either.
Doing it online also created a ton of animus as there were many many more potential buyers that had the perception they would get to buy something, other than the Parata, but could not. I'm watching closely to see how people are reacting once they start receiving their knives. There were a ton of buyers in the facebook/reddit groups I follow who were not aware the sale was no returns, for factory seconds. They got a shared link, clicked through to see the prices and then went wild because everything was so cheap.

I'm pretty sure I remember having to check a box either before adding to the cart and/or before checking out stating something along the lines of these are factory seconds, will have flaws, and all sales are final.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

steelcity16 wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:20 am
spoonrobot wrote:
S20 wrote:
Dano1987 wrote:

I hope they do it online every year. It gives an opportunity to many more people to buy products from company they like at amazing price, but cannot attend sale in person because of a distance or pandemic. And it doesn't have to be exclusively online either.
Doing it online also created a ton of animus as there were many many more potential buyers that had the perception they would get to buy something, other than the Parata, but could not. I'm watching closely to see how people are reacting once they start receiving their knives. There were a ton of buyers in the facebook/reddit groups I follow who were not aware the sale was no returns, for factory seconds. They got a shared link, clicked through to see the prices and then went wild because everything was so cheap.

I'm pretty sure I remember having to check a box either before adding to the cart and/or before checking out stating something along the lines of these are factory seconds, will have flaws, and all sales are final.
That's correct. I know I had to check that box on my sales. It was also posted elsewhere on the site. If someone didn't realize a second can't be returned that's completely on them
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
spoonrobot

Post by spoonrobot »

steelcity16 wrote:
spoonrobot wrote:
S20 wrote:
Dano1987 wrote:

Many people clicked that box only because the red text told them too. We're all still waiting to see how this pans out. The selling of the knives may have ended, but the 2020 Seconds Sale isn't over and won't be for quite a while. Understand this is not to blame Spyderco, this is my observation reading online.
NarwhalisnotKosher

Post by NarwhalisnotKosher »

I really appreciate the hard work the Spyderco team put in to make this work. Yeah, lots of people missed out on the knives they wanted, the site slowed down and it was tough but to be honest; what knife company doesn't have these issues on a big drop day?

I'd like to see an online conpenent remain. Maybe different days for different plants, or a division ofnsome sort so people can target the days or drops they want.

Either way, thanks guys and gals
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

spoonrobot wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:34 am
steelcity16 wrote:
spoonrobot wrote:
S20 wrote:

Many people clicked that box only because the red text told them too. We're all still waiting to see how this pans out. The selling of the knives may have ended, but the 2020 Seconds Sale isn't over and won't be for quite a while. Understand this is not to blame Spyderco, this is my observation reading online.
Let’s wait and see the aftermath. The seconds sale usually has lots of wonky bevels, uneven grinds, off center blades, sticky locks and late lockup. I have been to the sale multiple times and wouldn’t buy 2/3 of the knives there but maybe I am just picky.

Feedback from buyers over the next couple of weeks will likely determine the future of the sale. I am kind of surprised that folks are so excited without having seen their knives yet.

I thought that Spyderco may have withheld the worst of them but after seeing that warped Maxamet Para2 I am not so sure anymore. I would not have purchased that knife. Some folks will get knives they cannot find flaws in and others will get knives with obvious issues that they may or may not be willing to accept.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

spoonrobot wrote:
steelcity16 wrote:
spoonrobot wrote:
S20 wrote:

It was like 2 sentences. I dont have sympathy for those who couldnt be bothered to read it.
Last edited by VooDooChild on Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
SG89

Post by SG89 »

spoonrobot wrote:
S20 wrote:
Dano1987 wrote:

You have to agree to a disclaimer statement about these being seconds with no warranty or returns accepted before you could purchase... At least it did for me...
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I think Spyderco went out of their way to accommodate its fan base and open up their products to the masses during a strange time that is 2020 and I am grateful. eBay will be flooded with “Returns” of those who are unhappy. No good deed goes unpunished as they say.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Kfalk

Post by Kfalk »

Just received my order - para 3 and native in maxamet. Both look surprisingly good. Only thing I could see was each slightly favoured the show side.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Mine is showing that it will arrive Friday. Nervous and excited to see the condition it's in!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
ChopSliceStab

Post by ChopSliceStab »

Kfalk wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:53 pm
Just received my order - para 3 and native in maxamet. Both look surprisingly good. Only thing I could see was each slightly favoured the show side.
With 2 maxamet blades on the way this is the post I was waiting to see. Fingers crossed.
Kfalk

Post by Kfalk »

I should add that I’ve been to almost every seconds sale and have seen way worse. You usually get to handle many samples and decide what you’re willing to live with.

My guess is they sorted through them and picked the best examples.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Fireman wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 12:13 pm
eBay will be flooded with “Returns” of those who are unhappy. No good deed goes unpunished as they say.

This will be interesting to watch on eBay. Currently I see just TWO knives found under a search of "Spyderco Factory Second" ... A Stretch and a Para2. How many seconds will there be for sale on eBay in two weeks? (Of course, many flippers won't say "Factory Second" in the title.)
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

spoonrobot wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 10:34 am
steelcity16 wrote:
spoonrobot wrote:
S20 wrote:

I am a foreigner and English is not my native language. Yet I had no problem reading and comprehending every single warning and accompanying picture that Spyderco has put out for information regarding what is to be expected for a factory second knife. That is totally on them and not one iota of blame to Spyderco. I cannot sympathize with people who cannot comprehend something after tons of information as well as a disclaimer with a checkbox are put forth in order to make them understand what compromises are they getting for the price that they paid for a knife.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

👍
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

👍👍
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Narwhalisnotkosher, Kfailk, ChopSliceStab,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
ChopSliceStab

Post by ChopSliceStab »

Happy to be here. It hasn’t been long - the online seconds sale pulled me in - but in the short time I’ve been here it’s become clear to me that Spyderco is a fascinating, well run, and well loved operation. This community and your active participation in it speak volumes.
Kfalk

Post by Kfalk »

Thanks, Sal.

I’ve talked with you and your wife Kathy(? If memory serves me) many years ago. Me and my buddy would stop in when the store used to be just North of the factory at the Slee shop.

I think we were at the first seconds sale when it used to be held in the Slee parking lot.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Gail.