2020 Seconds Sale - BREAKING NEWS

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Kfalk

Re: 2020 Seconds Sale - BREAKING NEWS

Post by Kfalk »

Ahh, thanks. Been too long
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

That'll happen. 😉
dlum1

Post by dlum1 »

I'm particularly thankful Spyderco allowed an online sale at all. I've been wanting to get in on a 2nds sale for 2+ years now but could never be there in person (living on the east coast). I managed to snag a military and was hoping to grab 2 other knives as gifts, but the items sold out before I could check out. At the time, I suspected too many automated scripts were pinging the servers and grinding everything to a halt while trying to automate the purchase of one or two knives. Needless to say, I was surprised to hear people were attempting to use bots to buy out all the stock. I mean, who does that? I'm stoked I managed to get an s30v military and hope Spyderco does an online 2nds sale in the future, but would completely understand why they'd prefer to keep it offline and close to home.
NarwhalisnotKosher

Post by NarwhalisnotKosher »

sal wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 8:09 pm
Hi Narwhalisnotkosher, Kfailk, ChopSliceStab,

Welcome to our forum.

sal
Thank you. It's greatly appreciated.
Kfalk

Post by Kfalk »

ChopSliceStab wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 2:03 pm
Kfalk wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 1:53 pm
Just received my order - para 3 and native in maxamet. Both look surprisingly good. Only thing I could see was each slightly favoured the show side.
With 2 maxamet blades on the way this is the post I was waiting to see. Fingers crossed.
I’m sure you’ll be happy!
Kfalk

Post by Kfalk »

cabfrank wrote:
Tue Dec 08, 2020 9:19 pm
That'll happen. 😉
Yeah - Sucks getting old. Lol
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Better than the alternative though!
Ibuyre

Post by Ibuyre »

Thank you spyderco. Thank you for doing this on line sale. I know it was tons of work. But hears a idea and a little about me and sure I am not alone.

So I am totally new to being into knifes. I never thought much of them. Have had many over the years but they get used and come and go.Well this sale has gotten me hooked on spyderco knifes and gotten me bit by the knife bug. Because of that you have made a life long spyderco fan. I really look forward to future sales. Thank you.

Ok I have noticed on hear, a bunch of people happy and a bunch not as happy and wishing that forum members got a better shot. Some wishing for online only, some wishing for store, in person only. Just all over the place reactions. It's life (can't make everyone happy), and I am sure it's been a ton of extra work for spyderco workers. A idea to maybe make things easier, and make some of the "forum first" guys happy. Maybe figure the average price of a 2nd and just let each forum member buy a mixed box of 10 or 20 seconds. As in, no pick in anyway... just 10 or 20 random knifes. That way you wouldn't have to worry about low stock things, or people not getting what they wanted or any of that. If that was done, I would just hope that one didn't end up with all the same knife or all budget knifes.

Do you follow me? Give less choice so that people can't complain about what they got or didn't get. lol Just hears your mystery box of 2nds. Everyone gets 1 order ONLY. Limits the number of orders and number of packages you have to deal with. Much easier on the web site. Just a idea.

I think it would be fun, after we all got our mixed boxes we could post up things we got 2 or 3 of or that we don't really like and everyone could trade with each other.

Thanks again. I hope there's some online option in the future. I am really looking forward to the packages I have coming. Thank you.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

That wouldn't work for most forum members. A lot of members here already have a ton of knives and like the seconds sale as a shot at a specific model or steel we'd like to try. I would have zero interest in a mixed box of 10-20 knives...have you even considered how much money that would cost!?!? Then it being a mixed box, I could already own..in perfect condition all 10 of said knives. I'm 100% positive that a lot of people here would agree with me on that one. That's not a very good idea bud, sorry. Not a bad idea for someone new to Spyderco, or someone with some deep pockets, willing to take a chance.

PS...trading/selling is also forbidden on this forum.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Ibuyre wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:14 pm
Thank you spyderco. Thank you for doing this on line sale. I know it was tons of work. But hears a idea and a little about me and sure I am not alone.

So I am totally new to being into knifes. I never thought much of them. Have had many over the years but they get used and come and go.Well this sale has gotten me hooked on spyderco knifes and gotten me bit by the knife bug. Because of that you have made a life long spyderco fan. I really look forward to future sales. Thank you....

.... Thanks again. I hope there's some online option in the future. I am really looking forward to the packages I have coming. Thank you.

Welcome to the forum!

I count you and another member (or two) who were new to collecting Spydercos and started due to this sale specifically. Just another plus point for the online seconds sale format for consideration by SFO. Bringing in new collectors to the fold. :)
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Blades

Post by Blades »

My Ronin arrived this week. Now to get a friend to make a leather sheath for it. Hopefully, Spyderco will do it again next year.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

SteveDecker wrote:
Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:45 am
It's a pitty I missed the sale. I hope you will arrange another one and I will have time to fulfill all my wishes.

Welcome to the forum! :)
I am courious too, how the sale will be arranged in the future... pros and cons both for online and for "traditional", as well as for some kind of mixture...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Librarian

Post by Librarian »

Will there be an online sale in 2021? Any news?
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Librarian wrote:Will there be an online sale in 2021? Any news?
I hope not but the sooner we know something the better.

I'm really hoping it returns back to normal and is done at SFO. I've already been looking into travel arrangements but haven't committed to anything yet because I haven't heard anything new.
-Nick :bug-red
attila

Post by attila »

Since, I can’t make the 1500 mile journey to Colorado, I hope that there is an online sale.
Have: old S30V Native, HAP40 Endura, ZDP DF2, S110V Manix LW, Cru-wear Para 3, SE H1 DF2, S90V Native 5, K390 Urban, SE Pac Salt, P.I.T.S., XHP Manix LW, SB Caly 3, B70P, PMA11, K03, Kapara, REX 45 Military, 154CM Manix LW, Swick, AEB-L Urban, KC Cruwear Manix, M390 PM2, Mantra 2, CruCarta Shaman, M390 Manix, K390 Police 4, S90V Manix LW, Rex 45 Manix LW, 20CV Manix, Rex 45 Lil’Native, Shaman, C208GP, Cruwear Manix, Cruwear Manix, M4 Chief, Z-max!!!

Want: SPY27, K490, Swick 5
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Would that the Company have the seconds sale in September
during "leaf peeping" season when weather is mild,
ideal for touring and camping,
and the brilliant yellow Quaking Aspen are trembling.

It is also happens to be the "shoulder season",
the season between peak and off-peak months.
Accommodations are readily available at lower rates
and restaurants and tourist attractions are not so crowded.

But, I could be wrong. I often am.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I wish spyderco would do an online members only seconds sale. Everyone with an "active" account gets sent a message with a password. The password lets you login to an online seconds sale. Etc.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

attila wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 10:21 am
Since, I can’t make the 1500 mile journey to Colorado, I hope that there is an online sale.

A lot of us overseas would love for it to continue, too. I had fun and snagged a few keepers from last year's. 😁
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I hope they do both, which is very easy for me to say. It's a lot of work for Spyderco.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

I'm not opposed to an online sale happening again but I believe the normal seconds sale and Op-Focus seconds sale should take priority over it.

The online version of the sale removes inventory for customers who choose to travel to Colorado for the sale. Spyderco has to scrutinize each model to identify the "best" of the batch because customers aren't able to do that themselves while shopping online. Basically prioritizing the "best" seconds for the customers who don't really have to make much of a commitment other than to check their computers every couple hours for when they update inventory.

If it happens again, I would like to see it take place after both the normal seconds sale and Op-Focus seconds sale. The online seconds sale should be left with whatever inventory is available after those sales take place.
-Nick :bug-red