2020 Seconds Sale - BREAKING NEWS

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
SG89

Re: 2020 Seconds Sale - BREAKING NEWS

Post by SG89 »

I wonder if there will be a minimum purchase amount
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:47 pm
I wonder if there will be a minimum purchase amount

Hiya, If you're there in person there isn't a minimum amount.

Where it might impact you would be in the shipping costs; I live nearby the SFO & I had bought one of the messenger bags when they were first released, it was over $150 so I got free shipping...
Chppy

Post by Chppy »

was it gonna be on the 22 of nov?

thank you so much for doing it im so happy :)
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

yablanowitz wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:15 pm
I was joking as well. As for discovering they have $2000 worth of knives in their cart, as a vetern of several in-person sales, you are way, way short. Based on my own basket, I'd say the average shopper has at least $5000 worth tossed in their basket to sort through. I usually have to cut back on my first pass to get down to a grand.
:eek: If that's what goes on at these things, I don't stand a chance! Are we allowed to just buy like...two? :(
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

PayneTrain wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 7:29 pm
yablanowitz wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 12:15 pm
I was joking as well. As for discovering they have $2000 worth of knives in their cart, as a vetern of several in-person sales, you are way, way short. Based on my own basket, I'd say the average shopper has at least $5000 worth tossed in their basket to sort through. I usually have to cut back on my first pass to get down to a grand.
:eek: If that's what goes on at these things, I don't stand a chance! Are we allowed to just buy like...two? :(
Seriously! I’ve got too many kids for that kind of capital outlay!
Rp5

Post by Rp5 »

Hoping this goes well, relatively speaking. Fingers crossed to participate and hoping to score 2-3 good knives that I otherwise wouldn't have.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Eagerly awaiting an update from Sal/Kristi/Mike :eek: :spyder: :eek: :spyder:
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

Online? I don't know. In person? You can get out with one Ladybug if that's all you want. I scrimp and save all year so I can blow a grand at the sale. Just because people are carrying around several thousand dollars worth of knives in their basket doesn't mean they are planning to buy anywhere near that many. They grab a bunch then sort through to get down to the few they want (and can afford). I don't know how it's going to work online.
archangel

Post by archangel »

yablanowitz wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 9:12 pm
Online? I don't know. In person? You can get out with one Ladybug if that's all you want. I scrimp and save all year so I can blow a grand at the sale. Just because people are carrying around several thousand dollars worth of knives in their basket doesn't mean they are planning to buy anywhere near that many. They grab a bunch then sort through to get down to the few they want (and can afford). I don't know how it's going to work online.

Really, they do that? :eek: And SFO staff then needs to put the ones back where they belong that these guys sorted out? :confused: Or are all knives presented in no particular order?
Grab tons, sort, then buy only some and leave the work for the staff, I find that repulsive. :mad: I'm surprised that Spyderco lives with such behaviour.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
PayneTrain

Post by PayneTrain »

yablanowitz wrote:
Very interesting. Some day I gotta see one of these things in person. I was just kidding though, I'm sure even the financially timid like myself will be allowed to participate. Though I say that now, but I can see this escalating quickly. I've been so good about saving money this year, I'm primed and ready for some split second rationalization!

Here's something we haven't speculated about yet: how will they be describing the defects? Letter grades? 1-10 scale? Actual individual descriptions? I'm not much of a nitpicker, but I imagine many really relied on being able to dig through those bins and inspect them. I expect that will be quite different this year.
"Be the person your dog thinks you are."
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

archangel wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:05 am
yablanowitz wrote:

Really, they do that? :eek: And SFO staff then needs to put the ones back where they belong that these guys sorted out? :confused: Or are all knives presented in no particular order?
Grab tons, sort, then buy only some and leave the work for the staff, I find that repulsive. :mad: I'm surprised that Spyderco lives with such behaviour.
They are out on the tables in no particular order. The staff circulate around the outside of the sorting area to collect returns and pass them to the ones working the inside of the islands of tables. Those workers put them back out wherever they will fit. The runners also bring out more trays as inventory shrinks. It is a spectacle worth going to see even if you don't buy a thing. It's a lot of work for the staff, but fun for them as well to interact with us in person. For most of them it is the only time they get to see the enthusiasm we share for their products. This year, doing this online, they won't get that, all they'll get is a lot of extra work packing and shipping thousands of orders.
robis1923

Post by robis1923 »

yablanowitz wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:43 am
archangel wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:05 am
yablanowitz wrote:

They are out on the tables in no particular order. The staff circulate around the outside of the sorting area to collect returns and pass them to the ones working the inside of the islands of tables. Those workers put them back out wherever they will fit. The runners also bring out more trays as inventory shrinks. It is a spectacle worth going to see even if you don't buy a thing. It's a lot of work for the staff, but fun for them as well to interact with us in person. For most of them it is the only time they get to see the enthusiasm we share for their products. This year, doing this online, they won't get that, all they'll get is a lot of extra work packing and shipping thousands of orders.
And the hassle of dealing with complaining customers who don't understand what a second is or have buyer's remorse. I've said it before and I hope I am wrong, but I think they're opening a can of worms they'll regret.
Hopweaver

Post by Hopweaver »

This is great news! I finally get to participate in a Seconds Sale!

Thanks Spyderco. Hoping for a smooth event and maybe doing this every year??? ;)
:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

robis1923 wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:20 am

And the hassle of dealing with complaining customers who don't understand what a second is or have buyer's remorse. I've said it before and I hope I am wrong, but I think they're opening a can of worms they'll regret.

I'm curious how they are going to do it, but I have complete faith that they have thought it through and are well prepared! :D

Here are some suggestions

1. Weed out any non-cosmetic defects and store them away for the next in-person seconds sale

2. Disclaimer/waiver stating clearly that all knives will have notches above the spydiehole to indicate that they are factory seconds, they are not intended for re-sale, all knives will have cosmetic defects of varying degrees (give examples of some defects and maybe some photos of examples of defects), and all sales are final. must electronically sign this waiver before entering the sale. This is how they did the online seconds sale for All-Clad cookware this year (see link below for their disclaimer).

https://homeandcooksales.com/?cjevent=a ... 6a0a24060e

3. Knives are listed on the website by the model number and quantity available without describing the defects of each individual knife.

We are basically buying the knives knowing they will be seconds and will have flaws. I don't need to know specifically that the clip is scratched or the G10 is scratched or the blade is scratched or whatever. We are buying them (presumably) to be users so all that stuff is inconsequential when we get a great user knife for a fraction of the cost. Buy a new knife from an authorized dealer if you want a brand new perfect flawless knife to put in your safe. :D
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I also think they should stamp/brand an "S" into the FRN/G10 scales to further indicate it as a second and help stop resellers who sell them as new to unsuspecting buyers.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:15 am
robis1923 wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 7:20 am

I'm curious how they are going to do it, but I have complete faith that they have thought it through and are well prepared! :D

1. Weed out any non-cosmetic defects and store them away for the next in-person second sale

2. Disclaimer/waiver stating clearly that all knives will have notches above the spydiehole to indicate that they are factory seconds, they are not intended for re-sale, all knives will have cosmetic defects of varying degrees (give examples of some defects and maybe some photos of examples of defects), and all sales are final. must electronically sign this waiver before entering the sale. This is how they did the online seconds sale for All-Clad cookware this year (see link below for their disclaimer).

https://homeandcooksales.com/?cjevent=a ... 6a0a24060e

3. Knives are listed on the website by the model number and quantity available without describing the defects of each individual knife.

We are basically buying the knives knowing they will be seconds and will have flaws. I don't need to know specifically that the clip is scratched or the G10 is scratched or the blade is scratched or whatever. We are buying them (presumably) to be users so all that stuff is inconsequential when we get a great user knife for a fraction of the cost. Buy a new knife from an authorized dealer if you want a brand new perfect flawless knife to put in your safe. :D
Thats the thing, the flaws are not always just cosmetic. As much as it is said that the blemishes are purely cosmetic, after 4 years at the sale, I can say with 100% certainty, that is not the case. There are knives with "blemishes" that the average person can not fix on their own. I think a waiver will be absolutely necessary online, to avoid the inevitable.

Also, adding an "S" to the knives could potentially increase prices because of how much added labor that would require. Notches are sufficient enough for me.

I have nothing but confidence in Spyderco to do the right thing but until this online sale happens and we see how it all works out I, unfortunately, have to agree with Robis.
-Nick :bug-red
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:44 am

Thats the thing, the flaws are not always just cosmetic. As much as it is said that the blemishes are purely cosmetic, after 4 years at the sale, I can say with 100% certainty, that is not the case. There are knives with "blemishes" that the average person can not fix on their own. I think a waiver will be absolutely necessary online, to avoid the inevitable.

see #1 in my post. ;)

Mushroom wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:44 am

Also, adding an "S" to the knives could potentially increase prices because of how much added labor that would require. Notches are sufficient enough for me.

This would take a few seconds per knife when shipping these. Put a letter "S" hotstamp into a woodburner and stamp them as you package them. No big deal. I'm good either way, but I think this will eliminate knives getting resold as firsts, and people sending knives for warranty that they thought were firsts. But again, these are seconds. They should be sold and clearly marked as such. Especially in the age of social media where some clown might buy one thinking he got a first, and then bash it on social media because of some flaws. The small notch might be imperceptible to him and the viewers.

From a purely selfish standpoint of course i'd prefer not having an S stamped into the scale. But I am trying to think about what is better for the knife community, Spyderco, and the future of these online sales.
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

steelcity16 wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 9:15 am

1. Weed out any non-cosmetic defects and store them away for the next in-person seconds sale

2. Disclaimer/waiver stating clearly that all knives will have notches above the spydiehole to indicate that they are factory seconds, they are not intended for re-sale, all knives will have cosmetic defects of varying degrees (give examples of some defects and maybe some photos of examples of defects), and all sales are final. must electronically sign this waiver before entering the sale.

I think these are all great suggestions and I think it would help things go smoothly online. If they don't weed out the knives that have defects that go further than cosmetic and save them for next year, at least have them listed separately from those that have cosmetic defects alone so that they are easily differentiated. As Steelcity said, I don't really need pictures and a full description of every knife that has physical blemishes, but the ones that have flaws that go deeper than cosmetic and would need to be "fixed" can have descriptions of whats wrong so the person buying can have an idea of what they are getting into. I think that would help streamline the process of listing the knives and limit the work load of having to describe every single knife. .
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I do agree that adding an S to every knife may end up being too much. My understanding from what I'm hearing about those who have gone in person, we are talking about thousands of knives. If it takes 5 seconds to burn an S into each knife, after 720 knives thats already an hour of stamping/burning alone. Depending on the actual number of knives, that could end up being one person working a full day just stamping S into knives. It could be worth the time, but it may not be. I know I personally would prefer to just have a tiny notch in a knife rather than an S burned somewhere randomly on the handle.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

TazKristi wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:09 pm
After weeks of careful consideration, we have made the decision to take the 2020 Factory Seconds Sale entirely online. The health and safety of our guests, staff, and local community remains our top priority, and we feel this decision aligns with that priority based on the evolving COVID-19 situation in our state. These developments would likely have required a cancellation in the days leading up to the in-person event, and we want to focus our efforts on making the online event an outstanding experience for everyone.

While we are disappointed we won’t be able to gather together in Golden this year, we are incredibly appreciative of the support and enthusiasm for this event. As we continue to move forward with the first-ever Online Seconds Sale, please follow our social media channels or our forum for the latest updates and announcements.

Kristi
Hi Kristi, are you going to pin new info on this matter to the top of this feed?
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”