2020 Seconds Sale - BREAKING NEWS

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TkoK83Spy

Re: 2020 Seconds Sale - BREAKING NEWS

Post by TkoK83Spy »

RustyIron wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 5:36 pm
w3tnz wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 2:40 pm

Not sure why people are getting so worked up over factory seconds,
Haha! That's funny. I was asking myself the same thing. People complain that their new knife has a machining mark on the inside of the liner that you can see if you hold your flashlight just right, or that there's a scuff on the edge of the blade that they're going to use to see how much cardboard they can cut. Yet they'll fly across the country to get a "second." Ahdunno. Maybe the prices are too good to pass up. I don't really want anything, but maybe the prices will be too good to pass up.
Haha, that makes me think of the thread that was going around on Friday about the Smock hollow grind lines. Lots of complaining about merely mm's of a grind being off. People that complain about that kind of thing clearly shouldn't even waste their time with the seconds sale because obviously you're not getting perfection!

I think it's a great way to try a different model or steel that has eluded you or you didn't feel like paying the price at the drop. That's what I'm hoping for! Some kind of Native in G10 or a Military.
Last edited by TkoK83Spy on Sun Nov 15, 2020 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I like to apply the "desert island" criteria for personal/hobby purchases. I imagine if I'd buy it if I was all alone on a desert island. This nicely prevents purchases made solely to 'flex' based on relative scarcity.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

w3tnz, I am excited to get a second because I've never had the chance, but really, I know I will start using it right away. It takes me a while to do that with a new one.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I am excited to try to find a few "that got away" or ones I sold at some point and now regret. There are a handful of these I'll be looking for, and a handful of other users on my list to try to grab. All of my knives are users aside from a few backups of my "grail" knives so I am excited at the chance to grab a handful at a discount and put them to use!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
w3tnz

Post by w3tnz »

Yeah guys I get the appeal, for sure, was just surprised at some of the expectations expressed here. I think the online format has some pros and cons but hopefully it all goes well.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

I think the online format will be GREAT. In person shopping? Google on Black Friday Shoppers to see why. Online shopping. There's this guy, Jeff Bezos, who pretty much created the model for that.
Rinzler

Post by Rinzler »

I’m sort of conflicted here. The in person seconds sale is “in person” so that you can see, handle, feel, and judge a knife that Spyderco has deemed unacceptable yet functional. Defects are not just cosmetic, there have been MANY desirable knives and sprints that I’ve passed on at the seconds sale because the mechanical function was unacceptable to me as a buyer. I’m guess that of knives I pick up at the seconds sale, > 90% go back in the box after manipulating the action and looking it over.

People, generally speaking, are selfish and only look to their best interest. I wonder how many chargebacks will be initiated by buyers unhappy with what I assume will be a no return policy. I truly hope this works out, but I think this could become a goat rope of epic proportions.

I hope going forward that Spyderco does not discontinue the in person aspect of the seconds sale. Based on my experience I would not participate in only online seconds sales if that were the case. Too high of a likelihood of receiving a knife that doesn’t pass my quality control...
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Honestly, I agree.

I would be perfectly happy if this was the only online seconds sale.

Not for any issues with it being online, more that it was always meant to be an in person thing. I'm glad they are doing it online, instead of just canceling it. But, even if I'm unable to visit the in person sale, I still appreciate the tradition of the event.

Gives me something to look forward to attending one day.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

This may be a great way to grab some fixed blades for those who avoid these type of knives and may be interested in trying them out. Shouldn't have to worry about janky parts or action, just throw it on your hip and get dirty :D
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Rinzler wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:33 am
I’m sort of conflicted here. The in person seconds sale is “in person” so that you can see, handle, feel, and judge a knife that Spyderco has deemed unacceptable yet functional. Defects are not just cosmetic, there have been MANY desirable knives and sprints that I’ve passed on at the seconds sale because the mechanical function was unacceptable to me as a buyer. I’m guess that of knives I pick up at the seconds sale, > 90% go back in the box after manipulating the action and looking it over.

People, generally speaking, are selfish and only look to their best interest. I wonder how many chargebacks will be initiated by buyers unhappy with what I assume will be a no return policy. I truly hope this works out, but I think this could become a goat rope of epic proportions.

I hope going forward that Spyderco does not discontinue the in person aspect of the seconds sale. Based on my experience I would not participate in only online seconds sales if that were the case. Too high of a likelihood of receiving a knife that doesn’t pass my quality control...
No kidding. I have done very well at the sale but only by filling my basket with anything and everything that I might be interested in and then going over them with a fine toothed comb. Even after doing that I have had some remorse over a couple. That said, I have also gotten some insane deals.

Back to the dollar amount thing, I have been to three seconds sales and spent between $1100 and $1400 at each one. Things can escalate quickly. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:25 am
This may be a great way to grab some fixed blades for those who avoid these type of knives and may be interested in trying them out. Shouldn't have to worry about janky parts or action, just throw it on your hip and get dirty :D
Funny you say that, because this has crossed my mind! I've never carried a fixed blade and don't want to spend the full price on something I may not use very often...I just want one! Hoping to find one here.

-Rick
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:43 pm
legOFwhat? wrote:
Funny you say that, because this has crossed my mind! I've never carried a fixed blade and don't want to spend the full price on something I may not use very often...I just want one! Hoping to find one here.
How are fixed blades viewed in your neck of the woods? Blade length restrictions?
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

A mechanical issue would not be worth any discount to me. Any aesthetic issue would be fine. Guess we'll see if they distinguish.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

It seems that there would be very high demand for the sprints and exclusives in certain combinations, and they would be gone in seconds. The mainstream models would probably be gone in a few minutes. After the first 30 minutes maybe there would be a few ladybugs left.

I was wondering how to make it possible for the average person to have a chance of buying something. I thought maybe a person could pick the things they wanted to buy, then there would be a random drawing to see what buyers got matched with inventory, like a NFL draft. You have maybe 20 knives of a certain desirable model but you have 200 buyers, you randomly pick which 20 buyers get one. If they could figure out an easy way to computerize this then it might be a fair way to do it. Then the average person could log in 10 minutes or 2 hours after the sale started and have equal chance of buying something as the professional flipper that has a bank of computers in his mother's basement.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 1:28 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:43 pm
legOFwhat? wrote:
How are fixed blades viewed in your neck of the woods? Blade length restrictions?
Hey Larry, I'm honestly not sure. I never see anybody with a fixed blade on them...but that doesn't mean it's not legal! If living in a country setting, I don't think people really care what the law is. I know guys at work that carry them on their land, but not at work or around city areas.

-Rick
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 9:49 pm
If living in a country setting, I don't think people really care what the law is.
I live in the suburbs and work in the city. I don't think people really care what the law is.
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

Given that the sale is supposed to happen over a few days, I'm curious if there's going to be a 'buying slot' system to handle the volume.
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
Pockets

Post by Pockets »

I’ve always wanted to go to one of these sales in person. I’m super excited to get a chance to participate online this year, and hopefully I’ll make it out to Golden one day!
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 12:29 pm
Back to the dollar amount thing, I have been to three seconds sales and spent between $1100 and $1400 at each one. Things can escalate quickly. :)
Man, I must be doing it wrong. My personal best was only $380. :D
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I hope we can all remain positive about this sale. Spyderco is doing us a favor by holding it this year at all.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001