2020 Seconds Sale - BREAKING NEWS

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
nerdlock

Re: 2020 Seconds Sale - BREAKING NEWS

Post by nerdlock »

defenestrate wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:15 pm
They appear to be adding inventory every couple of hours. I'm guessing that's mostly going to be a business hours kind of thing.

Thanks, Spydercrew! I honestly expected everything to be flattened out and only flippers with specialized setups to get anything good. The rarer stuff can be harder to get, but I've gotten a dozen items for probably 1/3 of their usual price (and I use everything, so cosmetic imperfections don't bother me one bit). I never lost an item from my cart (item selling out before I could purchase is different and didn't happent that much), I never had to start over, haven't had double charges or similar, and the behavior of the servers was consistent, meaning anyone to stuck around probably got something cool. I'm guessing you did some load testing or fortification before you opened it up because usually smallish stores just crumple under what I can only assume to be unprecedented load. Any server will stop responding if there are more connections than the internet pipe and database can physically dole out - but I think this has gone very well so far, and I thank you for allowing us all a shot.

Wow, a dozen! You're rollin in this one @defenestrate! :D
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

VooDooChild wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 6:26 pm
Mushroom wrote: I'm hoping they don't end up doing any middle of the night drops. Maybe now that the SFO is closed, we won't see any more drops until morning.
Screw that. I work nights and my job is very slow this time of year. Middle of the night drops are my best shot.

Me too, as someone who lives the opposite timezone away. Gotta watch for your international customers too. :D
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
xceptnl

Post by xceptnl »

Missed out on all of the first day's selection. Shame I was on shift until just a few hours ago. Hope for more luck tomorrow on lunch break. Thanks to Spyderco for making this happen. I have seen this online surge happen on a much grander scale when attempting to book Disney dining reservations. Few servers can handle the madness that is a knife nut hoard buying at discount prices.
sal wrote: .... even today, we design a knife from the edge out!
*Landon*
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

It was a fun day. More to come.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I was definitely tempted by a couple, but wanted to get something I really wanted, plus a filler or two. We shall see tomorrow.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I didn't get anything, but it was very cool and exciting to be able to participate. The Seconds Sale was only a dream before. Big thank-you to Spyderco for making this happen for everyone!
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
jtoler_9

Post by jtoler_9 »

Congrats all who scored. Miss seeing folks at the in person sale this year. I tried to grab a few items today, no luck. I think I had my cart with a few items in it about a dozen times or so, but every time I couldn't make it to the payment screen. Oh well, time to buy more ammo at stupid prices.
bgcameron

Post by bgcameron »

I missed out on today's sales because of the website crashing. Just now, I tried logging into my account to make sure everything is all set. I couldn't remember my password so I did a password reset. I tried logging in with the new password and it didn't work. I tried again, and now I am locked out of my account.

Stupid website!
Toddm

Post by Toddm »

The bot thing is amazing, I knew it was happening for concert tickets and hot kids toys but never figured it would happen for this stuff. It was crazy to try and checkout for awhile. I got a couple presents, but nothing I had to have so far personally.

If things are not going to be dropping randomly 24/7 it would be nice if they specified (perhaps they did and I missed it) they'd be stopping new releases at like 5pm and starting again at 9am etc. but I suppose that's part of the game!

Perhaps one thing that would help with the bot issue is a 1 per account per item limit and allowing people to reserve items in their carts and checkout over a few hours. That way people that got items into the cart didn't lose them only because they can't get checked out for the first couple hours. It would have the side benefit of over time items that timed out of carts would trickle back into the system. Seems like most of the site crashing traffic on many of these type of sales is not so much viewing the websites but the panic to get checked out before someone else does and you miss out on what you already have in your cart.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

bgcameron wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:49 pm
I missed out on today's sales because of the website crashing. Just now, I tried logging into my account to make sure everything is all set. I couldn't remember my password so I did a password reset. I tried logging in with the new password and it didn't work. I tried again, and now I am locked out of my account.

Stupid website!

I'm sorry that you had missed out. A lot did, but a lot more got something out of it. I missed a PM2 S45VN that was in my cart because of website crashes. I got 3 knives as compensation but really wanted that S45VN.

But on the other hand, you should have at least listed down or remembered your password especially knowing that there is going to be a sale like this, and it was anticipated by a lot of people weeks before. At least a day before you should have prepared your account and your password, credit card, etc. Blaming the website because you couldn't recover your password at the height of a sales frenzy isn't the way.

At least there's still day 2 and day 3 so I hope you could recover your password during the lull in sales.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Oops
Last edited by cabfrank on Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:46 pm
I didn't get anything, but it was very cool and exciting to be able to participate. The Seconds Sale was only a dream before. Big thank-you to Spyderco for making this happen for everyone!
Same, and i agree.
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Thank you Sal & all Spyderco staff who I'm sure are working your tails off.
Managed to snag a couple. Will be patienty attempting a bit over the next few days. Good luck everyone!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

bgcameron wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:49 pm

Stupid website!
A friend of mine had a similar issue. He's now locked out of his account as well. He called Spyderco CS and was told a lit of people have had the issue and they're trying to resolve. He's kind of frustrated because the knives he wanted are now out of stock
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

The Meat man wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:46 pm
I agree Connor. It was nice to be able to participate for a change and the effort from Spyderco was much appreciated. I only bought one which was more than I said I was going to buy. Probably won't buy more unless I see something I really want
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I managed to get one Waterway and paid the (ouch) shipping charge. Passed on several as others would love them more than I would. Every Spyderco needs a loving home. :)

If you are easily frustrated, then this is not the sale for you. It took patience and some effort to get the sale to go through, but can only blame myself for jumping into the piranha pool during the feeding frenzy. Imagine how frustrated and overwhelmed the Spydercrew are right now!

I’d suggest Spyderco make a new site for seconds sales and leave them up year round. Several retailers have their seconds available in that manner.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Congrats to everyone who got something today. I tried all day and could never get the site to load until the very end tonight and all the good stuff is gone. I’ll try again tomorrow but no big deal if it doesn’t work again.
Josh
vivi

Post by vivi »

murphjd25 wrote:
Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:44 pm
Congrats to everyone who got something today. I tried all day and could never get the site to load until the very end tonight and all the good stuff is gone. I’ll try again tomorrow but no big deal if it doesn’t work again.
Seeing stuff like Maxamet Para 2's, Rex45 Lil Natives, K390 G10 Police 4's and Sirens get posted 4-6 hours after the start of the sale, I'm sure the next two days will have a lot of nice knives to choose from.

I'll be checking in throughout the day tomorrow looking for a nice fixed blade to add to the collection. I'm pretty set on folders at this point.
:unicorn
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

The Fish Hunter would have been a sweet snag.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I tried, but I was teaching today, so I couldn't take the time to do the long refreshes. By the time I got to check out, everything I had in my cart was out of inventory.

Congratulations to everyone who was able to score a deal! :)