Ark--new steel in the future?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
storyville

Ark--new steel in the future?

Post by storyville »

Are there any plans to issue the Ark in a new steel? (I would love to see it in LC200N, but other steels could be attractive, too.) I find its design very EDC-friendly and utilitarian, but its H-1 leaves a lot to be desired. I'd pick up another in a heartbeat with a more wear-resistant steel.

If this has already been discussed, my apologies. Didn't find it via simple search. Thanks.
vivi

Re: Ark--new steel in the future?

Post by vivi »

I'd be interested. The PE H1 didn't impress me, and I prefer longer blades for SE so I haven't tried the SE H1 version.

I'd buy one in PE FFG LC200N.

I'd also like to see a better sheath. Mine is a CQI version with the release tab and I can pull it out without pressing that tab with less effort than I unsheath my street beat, aqua salt etc. Its the main reason I don't carry mine. Should make some kydex for it I suppose.
:unicorn
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I don't have this model, but have been looking at it. While I'd love LC200N, I can't help but wonder how it would do as a wharnie.
StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Bemo wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:52 pm
I don't have this model, but have been looking at it. While I'd love LC200N, I can't help but wonder how it would do as a wharnie.
That's what I was thinking as well. I can only imagine it would be even more effective in its current role with a wharncliffe blade shape.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
BG-ThatsMe

Post by BG-ThatsMe »

StuntZombie wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:58 am
Bemo wrote:
That's what I was thinking as well. I can only imagine it would be even more effective in its current role with a wharncliffe blade shape.
The new swick is your solution for a small (better grip) fb wharnie, albeit at almost twice the price.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

LC200N is really the only other steel that makes sense unless they do a coated version.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

StuntZombie wrote:
Bemo wrote:

I figured this was a case where more belly means a technically longer edge which means more usable edge. Otherwise I too would figure a wharnie is better suited for this knife's intended use. As much as I dislike a lot of belly on my knives it does allow you to squeeze more serrations into a limited blade length.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
vivi

Post by vivi »

BG-ThatsMe wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:30 am
StuntZombie wrote:
Bemo wrote:
The new swick is your solution for a small (better grip) fb wharnie, albeit at almost twice the price.
Question is when will the Swick release? Been eagerly anticipating them since they were announced :)

Anyways I'm obviously a fan of the wharncliffe Ark idea.....

StuntZombie

Post by StuntZombie »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:31 am
StuntZombie wrote:
Bemo wrote:

I figured this was a case where more belly means a technically longer edge which means more usable edge. Otherwise I too would figure a wharnie is better suited for this knife's intended use. As much as I dislike a lot of belly on my knives it does allow you to squeeze more serrations into a limited blade length.
You have a point there. I'm likely not the intended market for the particular knife, so my needs and usage are different.
Chris

Haves: Lava, Delica 4 Sante Fe Stoneworks, Spy-DK x2,

Just say NO to lined FRN
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I like mine in H1 SE. I think the sheath has always been the weak link, even after the CQI release tab. I know there was a bit of confusion during the design process, but I always thought the sheath should have been made to fit the Spyderco G-Clip, for ease of carry other than around the neck.
BG-ThatsMe

Post by BG-ThatsMe »

vivi wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 11:42 am
BG-ThatsMe wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 10:30 am
StuntZombie wrote:
Bemo wrote:
Question is when will the Swick release? Been eagerly anticipating them since they were announced :)

Anyways I'm obviously a fan of the wharncliffe Ark idea.....

I can see why...little wharncliffe blades are incredibly useful. I was hoping to see the swicks this year, but I'm not going to hold my breath with all that's going on in the world these days. Maybe we will be surprised.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

cabfrank wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 2:49 pm
I like mine in H1 SE. I think the sheath has always been the weak link, even after the CQI release tab. I know there was a bit of confusion during the design process, but I always thought the sheath should have been made to fit the Spyderco G-Clip, for ease of carry other than around the neck.
When you're in the shower, the only other place you have available is... what you're guarding...

Not what I would consider an ideal alternative! :p
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
vivi

Post by vivi »

If you drill an extra hole the Ark works with a g-clip.

I tried that then decided some paracord loops setup for horizontal carry worked better.
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

Vivi, I might try the extra hole. Right now I use a method similar to yours, but zip ties.
Sumdumguy, agreed, but I don't need mine in the shower.
Bemo

Post by Bemo »

I've never been a big fan of the modified pistol grip with knives, really my only hesitation on a knife that's not even available yet (the Swick). But that's just me.
storyville

Post by storyville »

So, no new steel for the Ark, I take it? Seems like a good model for it, esp to tweak it from SD mainly to EDC mainly + SD 'on call.'