This is devotion...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JuPaul

This is devotion...

Post by JuPaul »

I had pocket extensions sewn into 7 pairs of pants, so now I can carry any of my knives in them - even my Millie!

What's the craziest/wierdest/funniest thing you've ever done to show your devotion to the knife life?
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
TkoK83Spy

Re: This is devotion...

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Hahaha, That's AWESOME Julia!! Some true dedication right there.

All I've really got is this. This stand used to hold my laptop, speakers, cds/books, bills, etc. Now...dedicated knife display and everything I need for cleaning/sharpening/tinkering. I like it much better these days :D

Resized_20200802_121540.jpeg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Julia,

I'm impressed. My wife, Gail said, that's a great idea.

sal
bobnikon

Post by bobnikon »

That is cool!

My pockets are all deep enough, but I am actually trying to figure out how to sew a patch of canvas or thin leather on my pockets for the clip to ride on to avoid wear and tear on the pocket. I have a few pairs of jeans that are getting a little ratty under the clip.
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Knife nerd pocket protector. In our world it should be a highly marketable item.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Hahah that's awesome Julia!

For the life of me, I can't understand why women's pants have such tiny little pockets.. I mean women need to carry stuff too, right?! Clever workaround!

I've been debating getting some iron-on denim patches to try and curb some aggressive pocket-clip-wear in a few pairs of otherwise perfectly fine jeans.. but I figure that will look pretty silly, so I haven't.. hah, probably easier to just buy a new pair! Anyways.. I admire your devotion to the knife life! :)
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

sal wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:56 am
Hi Julia,

sal
Don't be impressed with me - I had a professional do it! ;) Funny, I can weave and knit, but never learned to sew.
- Julia

Menipo

Post by Menipo »

DSH007 wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:43 am

For the life of me, I can't understand why women's pants have such tiny little pockets.. I mean women need to carry stuff too, right?! Clever workaround!

I've been debating getting some iron-on denim patches to try and curb some aggressive pocket-clip-wear in a few pairs of otherwise perfectly fine jeans.. but I figure that will look pretty silly, so I haven't.. hah, probably easier to just buy a new pair! Anyways.. I admire your devotion to the knife life! :)

The answer is .... handbags :D
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

DSH007 wrote:

My brother has pants with reinforced pocket seams. 5-11, I think. It's a great idea. Iron-on patches would probably work, but if you want them to be really durable you'd probably want to sew them on as well as ironing the adhesive.
- Julia

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Menipo wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:43 pm
DSH007 wrote:

That's what "THE MAN" wants me to use! ;) :p
- Julia

James Y

Post by James Y »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:38 pm
sal wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:56 am
Hi Julia,

sal
Don't be impressed with me - I had a professional do it! ;) Funny, I can weave and knit, but never learned to sew.

Hey, I can’t even weave or knit, let alone sew! :)

That’s a great idea! My only attempts to have more pockets and ‘counteract’ pocket wear are inexpensive Wrangler “rip-stop” cargo pants. The pockets do eventually wear from clips, though, with certain models more than others (scale material plays a huge part), but much more slowly than with normal cargo pants or jeans.

Jim
Menipo

Post by Menipo »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:47 pm
Menipo wrote:
DSH007 wrote:

Tell him that a handbag is not needed at all: for the knives you already have your enlarged pockets and .... for the rest (as Mastercard says) ... you can borrow his pockets. Sometimes "THE WOMAN" does that with mine (Darling, would you please carry my sunglasses case in your pocket, please :rolleyes: )
Si vis pacem para bellum ;)
zuludelta

Post by zuludelta »

DSH007 wrote:
I've been debating getting some iron-on denim patches to try and curb some aggressive pocket-clip-wear in a few pairs of otherwise perfectly fine jeans.. but I figure that will look pretty silly, so I haven't.. hah, probably easier to just buy a new pair!
I put a couple of strips of dark-coloured hockey tape over the hem of the pocket of my work pants and they do a great job of mitigating pocket wear, and they don't really stand out as their colour is fairly close to the colour of my trousers. I find that I only need to replace them maybe once every couple of months, and the wear to the tape is probably more due to being put through the laundry than from pocket knife clip friction.
sal

Post by sal »

Well I can sew, but I can't knit or weave. Gail once pulled some fleece from a sheep darned it, and wove it into a pouch for me.

I like to loosen my clips for easy retrieval. Also saves my pockets

sal
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

JuPaul wrote:
Menipo wrote:
DSH007 wrote:

I've been rocking this thing since covid hit.. I carry it to and from work each day and it's usually close by (in the car) on weekends or trips. It's big enough.. without being massive.. to hold my water bottle, some snacks, sunglasses, reading glasses, flashlight, a pretty complete FAK, pen/notpad, and of course, all of my "covid supplies," mask, hand sanitizer, gloves, alcohol wipes, etc.. Hahah I joke around and call it my "Man Purse," but it's definitely come in handy on multiple occasions over the past several months. So I can absolutely see the appeal to handbags.. That said, I still want functional pockets in my pants! :)

Rick H.

DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:45 pm
DSH007 wrote:

My brother has pants with reinforced pocket seams. 5-11, I think. It's a great idea. Iron-on patches would probably work, but if you want them to be really durable you'd probably want to sew them on as well as ironing the adhesive.
Thanks, I'll have to check them out! My sewing skills don't really extend past a button, so this may be the best avenue for me haha..
Rick H.

DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

zuludelta wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:09 pm
DSH007 wrote:
I've been debating getting some iron-on denim patches to try and curb some aggressive pocket-clip-wear in a few pairs of otherwise perfectly fine jeans.. but I figure that will look pretty silly, so I haven't.. hah, probably easier to just buy a new pair!
I put a couple of strips of dark-coloured hockey tape over the hem of the pocket of my work pants and they do a great job of mitigating pocket wear, and they don't really stand out as their colour is fairly close to the colour of my trousers. I find that I only need to replace them maybe once every couple of months, and the wear to the tape is probably more due to being put through the laundry than from pocket knife clip friction.
Hmm that's a good idea, some of those tapes are crazy durable! I'll have to give it a try.. thanks!
Rick H.

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

DSH007 wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:29 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Menipo wrote:
DSH007 wrote:

I've been rocking this thing since covid hit.. I carry it to and from work each day and it's usually close by (in the car) on weekends or trips. It's big enough.. without being massive.. to hold my water bottle, some snacks, sunglasses, reading glasses, flashlight, a pretty complete FAK, pen/notpad, and of course, all of my "covid supplies," mask, hand sanitizer, gloves, alcohol wipes, etc.. Hahah I joke around and call it my "Man Purse," but it's definitely come in handy on multiple occasions over the past several months. So I can absolutely see the appeal to handbags.. That said, I still want functional pockets in my pants! :)

Yeah, I'm definitely just kidding. I carry a small messenger bag/purse most days, too. Once I had kids it became a must.
- Julia

yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:43 am
I had pocket extensions sewn into 7 pairs of pants, so now I can carry any of my knives in them - even my Millie!

What's the craziest/wierdest/funniest thing you've ever done to show your devotion to the knife life?
Does five years of wearing nothing but Faded Glory carpenter jeans count? I selected them because:
1) They had an extra leg pocket on the left side big enough for two knives.
2) The ruler pocket was the exact depth needed for my Mule Team pocket sheath with flashlight holder.
3) The ruler pocket had a second pocket on the outside that would hold another folder.
4) The watch pocket was big enough for my wallet (leaving both back pockets available for knives).

I was pissed when they were discontinued and I had to switch to Wrangler cargo pants.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

When I try on a pair of pants the pocket depth is one of the first things I check.

FYI, you can also cut the stitching at the bottom of the 5th (watch) pocket on any pair of jeans and create a bottomless pocket that will fit anything.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David