This is devotion...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Pokey
Member
Posts: 395
Joined: Fri May 08, 2020 1:11 pm
Location: Thornton, Colorado

Re: This is devotion...

Postby Pokey » Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:56 pm

DSH007 wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:09 am

“Not the end of the world, but gets pretty raggedy after a while.. hahah and because I'm such a cheap b@stard, I can't bring myself to throw away an otherwise perfectly fine pair of pants, so I just keep wearing away the pockets..“

I hear ya, lots of my jeans look that way. No reason to get rid of them.

User avatar
Evil D
Member
Posts: 22327
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:48 pm
Location: Northern KY

Re: This is devotion...

Postby Evil D » Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:01 pm

Mini2white wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:35 pm
Evil D wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:40 pm
When I try on a pair of pants the pocket depth is one of the first things I check.


FYI, you can also cut the stitching at the bottom of the 5th (watch) pocket on any pair of jeans and create a bottomless pocket that will fit anything.
But then where do my little knives go. I love to use the fifth pocket for the Lady Bug, Man Bug, Dog Tag, Dragonfly, Cricket etc.


I guess you're either a big knife or little knife guy :p

There are some down sides to it, the biggest being that the knife will stick out into the main pocket so if you carry other stuff in that pocket the knife won't be separated. I typically don't carry small knives besides the Dragonfly.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

ladybug93
Member
Posts: 1854
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 11:20 pm

Re: This is devotion...

Postby ladybug93 » Fri Nov 06, 2020 5:06 pm

JuPaul wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:43 am
I had pocket extensions sewn into 7 pairs of pants
this is the best. i'm dying right now.

User avatar
Mini2white
Member
Posts: 307
Joined: Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:26 pm
Location: Australia

Re: This is devotion...

Postby Mini2white » Thu Nov 12, 2020 12:51 pm

Evil D wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 1:01 pm
Mini2white wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 12:35 pm
Evil D wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:40 pm
When I try on a pair of pants the pocket depth is one of the first things I check.


FYI, you can also cut the stitching at the bottom of the 5th (watch) pocket on any pair of jeans and create a bottomless pocket that will fit anything.
But then where do my little knives go. I love to use the fifth pocket for the Lady Bug, Man Bug, Dog Tag, Dragonfly, Cricket etc.


I guess you're either a big knife or little knife guy :p

There are some down sides to it, the biggest being that the knife will stick out into the main pocket so if you carry other stuff in that pocket the knife won't be separated. I typically don't carry small knives besides the Dragonfly.
Oh I am both a big knife guy and a little knife guy. But at work I can't carry a Military or Endura etc. So the little knives are carried discretely away. I now have my eye on the Police Lightweight.

Pants should come with a knife pocket. Some of my shorts have so many it is awesome. Some of my work style trousers have suitably styled "knife" pockets well that is what I use them for. I guess fashion dictates that we don't have so many pockets.

My wife also struggles with the knives and has a large range so she can choose the knife size, style and sometimes colour according to the wardrobe at the time.

User avatar
Cambertree
Member
Posts: 1386
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:48 am
Location: Victoria, Australia

Re: This is devotion...

Postby Cambertree » Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:43 am

That’s a great pants mod, Julia!

I have a couple of female friends who carry Spydies. They both tend to wear a Dragonfly clipped to the front of their left bra strap.

I’ll have to check out some of those pants you all are talking about.

I have a pair of North Face pants that have been torn and repaired a few times. I hang onto them because they have that rarity - a lefty side pocket that fits a PM2 or Millie perfectly.

It kind of baffled me as to how they were designed like that. I assumed it might have been a lefty designer sneaking it under the radar, but after reading one of your comments above, I realise it might be for a spare handgun mag.

Knife nerdiest thing I’ve done?

Hmmm, maybe lapping the bottom of my coffee mug flat, to make a better impromptu sharpening surface!

aicolainen
Member
Posts: 202
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 4:08 am
Location: Norway

Re: This is devotion...

Postby aicolainen » Mon Nov 16, 2020 11:47 am

Not fashion, but pretty nice in their own right, the TAD Radian DC seems like a pretty decent choice for women who carries. Obviously I'm not an expert on women's clothing, so just putting that disclaimer out there
https://tripleaughtdesign.com/shop/radian-dc-pant/

On a more personal level, I find I wear out the rest of my jeans almost as fast as the pockets, so I don't find that it pays off to bother with reinforcements.
Just noticed a gaping hole in my collection (and blame this forum). Now desperately looking for a foliage green G-10 ROOKIE (C51FG)

kodai78
Member
Posts: 243
Joined: Fri Apr 06, 2018 9:14 pm
Location: Houston, Texas

Re: This is devotion...

Postby kodai78 » Mon Nov 16, 2020 5:37 pm

Cathartt work pants have plenty of deep pockets and a fabric that seems very durable. I only have one pair but so far so good. The pockets are deep enough for a Millie no problem. I suspect that G10 would shred anything given enough use. I sand my G10 lightly to prevent excessive fabric wear when I have a knife with an aggressive pattern.
https://smile.amazon.com/Carhartt-Canva ... 33&sr=8-10
:spyder: Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santorum, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:

JuPaul
Member
Posts: 3628
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:06 am

Re: This is devotion...

Postby JuPaul » Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:14 pm

Cambertree wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:43 am
That’s a great pants mod, Julia!

I have a couple of female friends who carry Spydies. They both tend to wear a Dragonfly clipped to the front of their left bra strap.

I’ll have to check out some of those pants you all are talking about.

I have a pair of North Face pants that have been torn and repaired a few times. I hang onto them because they have that rarity - a lefty side pocket that fits a PM2 or Millie perfectly.

It kind of baffled me as to how they were designed like that. I assumed it might have been a lefty designer sneaking it under the radar, but after reading one of your comments above, I realise it might be for a spare handgun mag.

Knife nerdiest thing I’ve done?

Hmmm, maybe lapping the bottom of my coffee mug flat, to make a better impromptu sharpening surface!
A dragonfly on the bra strap? I honestly never would've thought to do that, but it's a great idea if you're wearing a sweater or something to hide it (or you don't care if it shows). I had friends in college that would carry their cash, IDs, everything in their bras when we went out to the bars. ;) :D
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.

User avatar
Cambertree
Member
Posts: 1386
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:48 am
Location: Victoria, Australia

Re: This is devotion...

Postby Cambertree » Tue Nov 17, 2020 8:04 am

JuPaul wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 7:14 pm
A dragonfly on the bra strap? I honestly never would've thought to do that, but it's a great idea if you're wearing a sweater or something to hide it (or you don't care if it shows). I had friends in college that would carry their cash, IDs, everything in their bras when we went out to the bars. ;) :D
Yeah, I think one of those friends was forced into developing that carry method by the shallow pockets thing you’ve mentioned, which is worse on womens office type clothes. She recently told me she had got rid of a lot of her clothes which don’t facilitate proper knife carry!

She tends to wear tops with either a scoop type neck (is that the term?), or button up shirts worn with the top couple of buttons undone, so she can access her Dragonfly easily.

My other friend doesn’t tend to carry a Spydie on her person at all times, but when she has her Dragonfly tucked under her bra strap, it kind of sits in a little hollow she has above her collarbone.

Both of them have said it’s a surprisingly inconspicuous place to carry a small folder like a Dragonfly.

One of them tried it out with a Delica for a while though, and told me that it did attract some notice!

User avatar
bearrowland
Member
Posts: 2264
Joined: Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:59 pm
Location: Central Pennsylvania

Re: This is devotion...

Postby bearrowland » Thu Nov 19, 2020 7:28 pm

Julia you're my hero!! Great idea 👍💯
Barry
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

ladybug93
Member
Posts: 1854
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 11:20 pm

Re: This is devotion...

Postby ladybug93 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:21 pm

i don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but what about in the waistband? my pac salt rides there very nicely. the only reason i remember it's there most of the time is because it's always there. it doesn't even bother my flesh belt.

vivi
Member
Posts: 7841
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:15 am

Re: This is devotion...

Postby vivi » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:23 pm

ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:21 pm
i don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but what about in the waistband? my pac salt rides there very nicely. the only reason i remember it's there most of the time is because it's always there. it doesn't even bother my flesh belt.
Some people are really against IWB and I've never understood why. I carry this way about half the time. Or even when I'm not, sometimes I transfer a knife IWB during physical activities because its more secure there. Bounces around less.
Current favorites:

Military DLC | Police 4 K390 / Pakkawood | Manix XL M4 DLC / Micarta

ladybug93
Member
Posts: 1854
Joined: Tue May 15, 2018 11:20 pm

Re: This is devotion...

Postby ladybug93 » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:30 pm

vivi wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:23 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:21 pm
i don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but what about in the waistband? my pac salt rides there very nicely. the only reason i remember it's there most of the time is because it's always there. it doesn't even bother my flesh belt.
Some people are really against IWB and I've never understood why. I carry this way about half the time. Or even when I'm not, sometimes I transfer a knife IWB during physical activities because its more secure there. Bounces around less.
yeah and some think a knife like the pac salt is too big for that kind of carry, but the larger it is, the most secure it is. i'm not sure i'd carry a df2 iwb, but the pac salt is so great there.

i will say, i don't know about the pac salt 2 because i don't have one (or an endura). the older version has nicely rounded frn that isn't irritating at all. same goes with the volcano grip... it's not grabby on my waist at all. the native salt, by comparison, is much less comfortable. still doable, but less comfortable due to the squareness of the handle corners and the slightly more abrasive grip. maybe someone can comment on the comparison of the two pac salts iwb.

vivi
Member
Posts: 7841
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:15 am

Re: This is devotion...

Postby vivi » Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:32 pm

ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:30 pm
vivi wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:23 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:21 pm
i don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but what about in the waistband? my pac salt rides there very nicely. the only reason i remember it's there most of the time is because it's always there. it doesn't even bother my flesh belt.
Some people are really against IWB and I've never understood why. I carry this way about half the time. Or even when I'm not, sometimes I transfer a knife IWB during physical activities because its more secure there. Bounces around less.
yeah and some think a knife like the pac salt is too big for that kind of carry, but the larger it is, the most secure it is. i'm not sure i'd carry a df2 iwb, but the pac salt is so great there.

i will say, i don't know about the pac salt 2 because i don't have one (or an endura). the older version has nicely rounded frn that isn't irritating at all. same goes with the volcano grip... it's not grabby on my waist at all. the native salt, by comparison, is much less comfortable. still doable, but less comfortable due to the squareness of the handle corners and the slightly more abrasive grip. maybe someone can comment on the comparison of the two pac salts iwb.
I find the Pac 2 just as comfortable IWB. It grabs a bit more when drawing the knife but it works fine.

I've suggested IWB to Manix fans and a lot of them won't even consider it. But they'll also complain about it being a pocket hog. Who knows :confused:
Current favorites:

Military DLC | Police 4 K390 / Pakkawood | Manix XL M4 DLC / Micarta

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 7258
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: This is devotion...

Postby Wartstein » Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:48 am

vivi wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:32 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:30 pm
vivi wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:23 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:21 pm
Some people are really against IWB and I've never understood why. I carry this way about half the time. Or even when I'm not, sometimes I transfer a knife IWB during physical activities because its more secure there. Bounces around less.
.....
I find the Pac 2 just as comfortable IWB. It grabs a bit more when drawing the knife but it works fine.

I've suggested IWB to Manix fans and a lot of them won't even consider it. But they'll also complain about it being a pocket hog. Who knows :confused:

Vivi, I don´t know if you can recall, but the two of us have discussed the IWB-thing at least two times and as a consequence I gave it (another) serious try.
Just does not work for me, especially in my day to day more "urban" life.

- Untucked shirt, jacket, maybe a down vest, hip bag most of the times... It is just very awkward to access iwb carried knives then.
- Carried more at the front (lets say 1 or 2 o´ clock position): Gets in the way when sitting in a car or riding a bike (I´ll admit: This CAN be the case with long knives carried in the pocket too)
- Carried on the back (lets say 5 o´ clock): Even less accessible (especially when sitting in a car or the like),
- Plus: While it is pretty easy to draw an iwb carried folder (if I wear just one, ideally tucked, shirt) it is always a bit awkard to put it back again: Pretty tight waistband andsince I really don´t have a lot of fat at the belly at all there is not much give "on the other side of the waistband" - makes it a bit hard to put the knife back, while a pocket just has a wider and lower on the leg opening

/ As for the Manix (LW in my case): Just for me it is not a "pocket hog": Actually I love the way it fills the pocket a bit more (makes it stable in there), while really not being a LONG folder.

/ That being said: I DO carry knives IWB when running (Chap FRN mostly), especially in shorts: Less bouncing than in pockets and less likely to get lost
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

vivi
Member
Posts: 7841
Joined: Mon Oct 29, 2007 8:15 am

Re: This is devotion...

Postby vivi » Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:08 am

Wartstein wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:48 am
vivi wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:32 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:30 pm
vivi wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:23 pm


Some people are really against IWB and I've never understood why. I carry this way about half the time. Or even when I'm not, sometimes I transfer a knife IWB during physical activities because its more secure there. Bounces around less.
.....
I find the Pac 2 just as comfortable IWB. It grabs a bit more when drawing the knife but it works fine.

I've suggested IWB to Manix fans and a lot of them won't even consider it. But they'll also complain about it being a pocket hog. Who knows :confused:

Vivi, I don´t know if you can recall, but the two of us have discussed the IWB-thing at least two times and as a consequence I gave it (another) serious try.
Just does not work for me, especially in my day to day more "urban" life.

- Untucked shirt, jacket, maybe a down vest, hip bag most of the times... It is just very awkward to access iwb carried knives then.
- Carried more at the front (lets say 1 or 2 o´ clock position): Gets in the way when sitting in a car or riding a bike (I´ll admit: This CAN be the case with long knives carried in the pocket too)
- Carried on the back (lets say 5 o´ clock): Even less accessible (especially when sitting in a car or the like),
- Plus: While it is pretty easy to draw an iwb carried folder (if I wear just one, ideally tucked, shirt) it is always a bit awkard to put it back again: Pretty tight waistband andsince I really don´t have a lot of fat at the belly at all there is not much give "on the other side of the waistband" - makes it a bit hard to put the knife back, while a pocket just has a wider and lower on the leg opening

/ As for the Manix (LW in my case): Just for me it is not a "pocket hog": Actually I love the way it fills the pocket a bit more (makes it stable in there), while really not being a LONG folder.

/ That being said: I DO carry knives IWB when running (Chap FRN mostly), especially in shorts: Less bouncing than in pockets and less likely to get lost
There's not many situations where I'm carrying IWB and want to cut something and re-clip my knife ASAP. In those situations I clip it wherever is most convenient and return it to IWB later.

When I carry IWB it is always just behind my right hip bone, which is at about 3 o clock, so 3:30-4 o clock is where the knife goes.

Sometimes I do it to reduce bouncing around when being active, like you mention. Sometimes I do it when I'm accessing my phone frequently and don't want my knife in the way. Sometimes I carry IWB because pocket carry in running shorts feels terrible.

It's not the carry method I use the majority of the time, but it is second place. What surprises me is people being so against the idea of it. I guess with how I typically dress (Shirt and pants / shorts) I feel its plenty accessible.

I suspect a lot of people try it once in their home and write it off without really giving it a shot. For example you mention re-clipping the knife is awkward. I'd imagine most people are pushing straight down when they try to re-clip IWB. I push down and out (towards 3 o clock) to put tension on my waistband, which makes putting the knife back much easier.

Image

I grip the knife like this when re-clipping, with my index finger and thumb gripping the knife. My pinky or ring finger hooks on to my shirt and pulls it up, then in the waistband it goes.
Current favorites:

Military DLC | Police 4 K390 / Pakkawood | Manix XL M4 DLC / Micarta

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 20263
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: This is devotion...

Postby JD Spydo » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:36 am

sal wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:18 pm
Well I can sew, but I can't knit or weave. Gail once pulled some fleece from a sheep darned it, and wove it into a pouch for me.

I like to loosen my clips for easy retrieval. Also saves my pockets

sal
Hey Mr. Glesser you just made me think of something. Maybe they could make some type of attachment or some type of special liner you could put on pockets to keep them from the wear & tear that pocket clips can cause. And maybe it could be made to secure the pocket clip better as well.

I keep my clips pretty tight just so I won't snag up on stuff and accidentally lose them. But it sure puts a lot of wear and tear on a pocket rim over time.

I do also like Julia's idea too.

JuPaul
Member
Posts: 3628
Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2019 7:06 am

Re: This is devotion...

Postby JuPaul » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:59 am

I've started carrying IWB a lot lately, whenever I'm wearing yoga pants, leggings, or sweats that don't have any pockets. It's a pretty good solution to the zero pocket situation on a lot of women's athletic-style pants. My preference is to carry a slimmer knife there, like an Endura or Delica, but I've carried my teal native iwb a few times as well. I don't like to carry a Dragonfly iwb because I think the little wire clip is harder to get over the softer waistband of those kinds of pants. I haven't carried a Manix iwb much, but I think I'll start after reading this thread. ;) Given the choice, I'd definitely prefer pocket carry, but when that's not an option, iwb works fine for me.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.

User avatar
Wartstein
Member
Posts: 7258
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:06 am
Location: Salzburg, Austria, Europe

Re: This is devotion...

Postby Wartstein » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:24 am

vivi wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 1:08 am
Wartstein wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:48 am
vivi wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:32 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
Thu Nov 19, 2020 8:30 pm
There's not many situations where I'm carrying IWB and want to cut something and re-clip my knife ASAP. In those situations I clip it wherever is most convenient and return it to IWB later.

When I carry IWB it is always just behind my right hip bone, which is at about 3 o clock, so 3:30-4 o clock is where the knife goes.

Sometimes I do it to reduce bouncing around when being active, like you mention. Sometimes I do it when I'm accessing my phone frequently and don't want my knife in the way. Sometimes I carry IWB because pocket carry in running shorts feels terrible.

It's not the carry method I use the majority of the time, but it is second place. What surprises me is people being so against the idea of it. I guess with how I typically dress (Shirt and pants / shorts) I feel its plenty accessible.

I suspect a lot of people try it once in their home and write it off without really giving it a shot. For example you mention re-clipping the knife is awkward. I'd imagine most people are pushing straight down when they try to re-clip IWB. I push down and out (towards 3 o clock) to put tension on my waistband, which makes putting the knife back much easier.

I grip the knife like this when re-clipping, with my index finger and thumb gripping the knife. My pinky or ring finger hooks on to my shirt and pulls it up, then in the waistband it goes.
Certainly valid points, but still just for me IWB remains to be a lot less convenient than RFP.
And I did give it several fair tries, in my "real life", for several days in a row, not just quickly at home

Though I have to say: Differently to you, in a majority of tasks I grab the knife, make one or two cuts, and DO want to "re-clip it asap"

Below just a quick pic of what I am wearing today: T-Shirt, jacket, down vest, and a hip bag (I have to carry two cell phones, something to write and other stuff in a way that it is quickly accesible)...and a Manix :D
Pretty obvious why in my particular case a knife carried RFP is clearly better accessible than IWB.

And I also do push "down and out" when re-clipping a folder iwb, still it is less natural and more awkward than just putting it back RFP.

Anyway, to each their own! :) I am really not against IWB, it has its place even in my knife carry routine, RFP just works better for me most of the time
Image
Top three going by pocket-time: Endura 4 in VG 10/Micarta-scales; Stretch 1 in VG 10; Endura 4 in HAP 40

User avatar
JRinFL
Member
Posts: 1159
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 10:30 am
Location: Unfashionable West End of the Galaxy

Re: This is devotion...

Postby JRinFL » Fri Nov 20, 2020 2:54 pm

Remember with IWB carry, you do not want it under your seat belt in the car. During an accident, even relatively minor, that knife (or whatever) will be driven in to your gut. Some cars (all now?) have seat belt retractors that tighten the belt quickly during an accident, which is why even in minor accidents it can be a problem.
Used to be JR in CT with a much earlier join date. :rolleyes: :spyder: Native in 440v was my gateway Spyderco! :spyder: Wharnie for the whin! Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.


Return to “Spyderco General Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: bdougn, Google [Bot], Henri, Salty Dog, Wartstein and 36 guests