This is devotion...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
JuPaul

Re: This is devotion...

Post by JuPaul »

yablanowitz wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:35 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:43 am
I had pocket extensions sewn into 7 pairs of pants, so now I can carry any of my knives in them - even my Millie!

What's the craziest/wierdest/funniest thing you've ever done to show your devotion to the knife life?
Does five years of wearing nothing but Faded Glory carpenter jeans count? I selected them because:
1) They had an extra leg pocket on the left side big enough for two knives.
2) The ruler pocket was the exact depth needed for my Mule Team pocket sheath with flashlight holder.
3) The ruler pocket had a second pocket on the outside that would hold another folder.
4) The watch pocket was big enough for my wallet (leaving both back pockets available for knives).

I was pissed when they were discontinued and I had to switch to Wrangler cargo pants.
Yes I'd say that counts! :D
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:51 am
Hahaha, That's AWESOME Julia!! Some true dedication right there.

All I've really got is this. This stand used to hold my laptop, speakers, cds/books, bills, etc. Now...dedicated knife display and everything I need for cleaning/sharpening/tinkering. I like it much better these days :D

Resized_20200802_121540.jpeg
That's like a knife shrine! ;) Someday when I don't have nosy curious little kids around I plan to display my knives like that.
- Julia

skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:40 pm
When I try on a pair of pants the pocket depth is one of the first things I check.

FYI, you can also cut the stitching at the bottom of the 5th (watch) pocket on any pair of jeans and create a bottomless pocket that will fit anything.
Like your style. Been doin' that for years.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

sal wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 1:18 pm
Well I can sew, but I can't knit or weave. Gail once pulled some fleece from a sheep darned it, and wove it into a pouch for me.

I like to loosen my clips for easy retrieval. Also saves my pockets

sal
You're wife is amazing, Sal! But I'm sure you know that already. :p I've always wanted to learn how to spin. Someday when we retire to our property full-time I'd like to have an Alpaca and spin my own yarn.
- Julia

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Evil D wrote:
When I try on a pair of pants the pocket depth is one of the first things I check.

FYI, you can also cut the stitching at the bottom of the 5th (watch) pocket on any pair of jeans and create a bottomless pocket that will fit anything.
Excellent idea! I'm gonna give that a shot on another pair of jeans.
- Julia

nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

That's awesome Julia. Pretty clever. :D

https://youtu.be/plzw1NWVYSM

I love that Prana brand; I used to have an article of clothing or 2 with that brand during my short rock climbing days many, many years past. Good brand. :)
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

The craziest thing I've done connected to the knife life is to put together a multi-layer fixed blade storage rack that conveniently fits into the bottom shelf of my cabinet.
Attachments
knife_rack.jpg
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

DSH007 wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 11:43 am

I've been debating getting some iron-on denim patches to try and curb some aggressive pocket-clip-wear in a few pairs of otherwise perfectly fine jeans.. but I figure that will look pretty silly, so I haven't.. hah, probably easier to just buy a new pair! Anyways.. I admire your devotion to the knife life! :)
The Wrangler Riggs work pants have a faux leather reinforcement on the right front pocket. One problem I have with them is that the material at the pocket opening is doubled over for a finished edge, then the reinforcement folds over that. With four layers of material there it makes it tough to clip or unclip the knife. (Sorry, photo won’t orient upright.)
Attachments
11DDF280-1C03-4D15-8F37-8BA780B54EDE.jpeg
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

nerdlock wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 3:54 pm
That's awesome Julia. Pretty clever. :D

https://youtu.be/plzw1NWVYSM

I love that Prana brand; I used to have an article of clothing or 2 with that brand during my short rock climbing days many, many years past. Good brand. :)
Jurassic Park...classic! :) And those Prana pants are my favorite hiking/outdoors pants. My husband loves the men's version, too. This year I waited for Prana's "discontinued list" and bought new pairs in colors they're discontinuing for half price (they're kinda pricey normally). Their only fault was super dinky pockets...problem solved!
- Julia

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

mikey177 wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:03 pm
The craziest thing I've done connected to the knife life is to put together a multi-layer fixed blade storage rack that conveniently fits into the bottom shelf of my cabinet.
I really need something like that. Right now I just have my fixed blades stuffed in a drawer.
- Julia

vivi

Post by vivi »

Still not into IWB I see :D

Glad you found a solution. The pockets on womens pants are ridiculous.
:unicorn
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

yablanowitz wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 2:35 pm
Does five years of wearing nothing but Faded Glory carpenter jeans count? I selected them because:
1) They had an extra leg pocket on the left side big enough for two knives.
2) The ruler pocket was the exact depth needed for my Mule Team pocket sheath with flashlight holder.
3) The ruler pocket had a second pocket on the outside that would hold another folder.
4) The watch pocket was big enough for my wallet (leaving both back pockets available for knives).

I was pissed when they were discontinued and I had to switch to Wrangler cargo pants.
[/quote]

Have you seen the Wrangler Outdoor line of pants? This is one version with a cell phone pocket on the right side that’s 8” (20.3 cm) deep. That’s a PM 2 in the pocket. Both pockets are a full 6” (15.2 cm) wide below their openings. The interior of the pocket extends forward of the belt loop above. The material on these is thicker than the Wrangler cargo pants.

On the left side there’s a slash pocket with a smaller pocket for valuables hidden inside the waist band.
Attachments
7D61AD16-4055-42E3-BE12-EA0AD074E5B8.jpeg
vivi

Post by vivi »

Ya'll gotta check out tru-specs. Highly water resistant, durable, comfortable, elastic waistband, baggy enough to comfortably wear long johns underneath, thin and lightweight enough to be comfortable on a 75F day.

Oh, and pockets galore!

Each side has a dedicated knife / flashlight pocket between the front pocket and rear pocket. They're about 6" deep.

The front pockets are super deep, about 10-11". I can pocket a fullsized switch, or the entire blade of my 10" chef knife in its blade protector.

The cargo pockets have mini-cargo pockets that can hold a Leatherman Wave or Manix XL each.

One of my favorite features are the cargo pocket liners stitched in the middle, which gives you a convenient place to clip two more knives per cargo pocket, or phone, wallet, etc.

My local army surplus store sells them for $30. The model I showed is made in Honduras if anyone is curious.

They're a little tacticool looking but I love them. I stocked up when I worked security and find myself basically living in them during the colder months.
:unicorn
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Julia, that is a great idea!

Many of my pants have a long pocket sewn vertically to the inside of the right front pocket, on the leg side, that will hold an Endura or Delica or Caly3, etc.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
awa54

Post by awa54 »

On a similar tack, my GF who's a landscaper in the summer, prefers the Kuhl brand work pants, some of which have doubled pocket edges, however the extra thick pocket edge is too bulky for most pocket clips to go over smoothly, so her SE salt usually either goes in the leg-side "technology" pocket or isn't clipped if it stays in the LFP for easy lefty access.

The whole tiny/no pocket issue with many women's pants baffles me, it seems like there's very little middle ground between stylish yet pocket challenged pants and functional, but deeply un-stylish "work" pants (though the Kuhls have a tapered leg and actually look at least as nice as jeans, but then again the ones my GF wears are a men's style). Kind of like the way women used to get short changed on second hands with watches... until not so long ago the majority of women's timepieces didn't come with one unless it was a "nurse's watch".

Pokey wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:05 pm
DSH007 wrote:

I've been debating getting some iron-on denim patches to try and curb some aggressive pocket-clip-wear in a few pairs of otherwise perfectly fine jeans.. but I figure that will look pretty silly, so I haven't.. hah, probably easier to just buy a new pair! Anyways.. I admire your devotion to the knife life! :)
The Wrangler Riggs work pants have a faux leather reinforcement on the right front pocket. One problem I have with them is that the material at the pocket opening is doubled over for a finished edge, then the reinforcement folds over that. With four layers of material there it makes it tough to clip or unclip the knife. (Sorry, photo won’t orient upright.)
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Pokey wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 9:05 pm
DSH007 wrote:

I really need to look into something like that the next time I buy pants.. haha most of most of my pants pockets right now look like some variation of..
Not the end of the world, but gets pretty raggedy after a while.. hahah and because I'm such a cheap b@stard, I can't bring myself to throw away an otherwise perfectly fine pair of pants, so I just keep wearing away the pockets..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 10:52 pm
Julia, that is a great idea!

Many of my pants have a long pocket sewn vertically to the inside of the right front pocket, on the leg side, that will hold an Endura or Delica or Caly3, etc.
I've got a couple pairs of women's skinny 5-11 pants that have an extra long slim pocket, basically on the right hip between the outside seams of the front and back pockets. It can hold a Millie (or something like an extra 9mm magazine). They're awesome, and I wish all my pants had them.
- Julia

Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

That is a great solution. One would think some designer would offer longer/deeper pockets... When choosing shorts and jeans/pants, I always check the depth of the pockets. Shallow pockets show up in mens clothing, as well, just not like they do for ladies.
Maximumsmoochy

Post by Maximumsmoochy »

I've put single-line seams into the pockets of a few pairs of pants that create an internal separated knife "column" so when I have a clipless knife in there, it doesn't flop sideways and look so happy.

I'd take a picture but I don't think my colleagues would appreciate my taking my pants off right now.

also sewn fabric over the edge of my pockets to repair clip wear.
Past: Dragonfly, Air, Rhino, Lil' Native, Techno 2, Caly Jr., Brouwer, Chap LW, Para3, N5, Watu, ‘Chef, Mantra 2, SSStretch, PM2, Smock, Shaman, Advocate, GB2, Kapara, Military, Bradley Bowie, Province

Present: P4 K390 FRN

Future: Para3 Cruwear (someday)

Regrets: Most of them
Mini2white

Post by Mini2white »

Evil D wrote:

But then where do my little knives go. I love to use the fifth pocket for the Lady Bug, Man Bug, Dog Tag, Dragonfly, Cricket etc.