2 brand new Native 5 LW problems

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
prndltech

2 brand new Native 5 LW problems

Post by prndltech »

Just got home from work and both of these were in the mailbox waiting for me today!

Then came my disappointment.

The SPY27 native LW blade hits the FRN handle scale, here the blade is being held open by the handle, as seen in the picture.

The s90v native LW has a terrible rattle from what I think is between the scales where the lock bar spring goes and I can feel a intermittent pop sometimes throughout the handle when opening.

Link to vid: https://i.imgur.com/6hubfZ0.mp4

Haven’t decided what I’m going to do yet. But I figured I’d let y’all see what’s going on!
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
SG89

Re: 2 brand new Native 5 LW problems

Post by SG89 »

Wow, sorry man. That teal native sounds like a box of tic tacs
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Oloung1

Post by Oloung1 »

prndltech wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:45 pm
The SPY27 native LW blade hits the FRN handle scale, here the blade is being held open by the handle, as seen in the picture.

The s90v native LW has a terrible rattle from what I think is between the scales where the lock bar spring goes and I can feel a intermittent pop sometimes throughout the handle when opening.
Two for one combo. Maybe the s90v is holding a part of the spyderhole. Hope both gets sorted easily.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

What is going on with theses LW models lately!? :confused:

Seems like almost everyday there's something about the Manix, now both of these. That teal model, that's very weird. Definitely interested if you decide to tinker with it. Sorry bud, that's some terrible luck right there.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
blades&wrenches

Post by blades&wrenches »

Sucks you got 2 Native LW duds on the same day. I haven’t had a whole lot of luck with LW Natives the past few years either. Such a great model too. Fortunately the SPY27 one I got in today is good to go. I’ll probably stick to G10 from here on though.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

All the older LW’s, both the manix and native Ive ever had were perfect but lately, within the past couple years I have to agree, unfortunately all the examples I’ve received have been less than stellar.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Send em in, they are not right.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

VooDooChild wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:16 pm
Send em in, they are not right.
I will probably be exchanging them, or returning for a refund.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Death rattle! At first I thought it was only loose screws, but if the screws were loose there would have been movement on the clip, and screws flying about. Sorry to hear that. The Native 5 LW is one of my least favorite models in my collection...there's always some issue springing about.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Native 5 LW is one of the easiest models to take apart and put back together. I'd be taking a look inside and figuring out what the issue is. There's not much to those knives. I can't be too hard to figure out why it rattles the way it does.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:40 pm
What is going on with theses LW models lately!? :confused:

Seems like almost everyday there's something about the Manix, now both of these. That teal model, that's very weird. Definitely interested if you decide to tinker with it. Sorry bud, that's some terrible luck right there.

I generally don´t read a lot of Native threads, so I can´t weigh on that one, but as said in another thread: I too certainly noticed the increase of reported issues concerning the Manix 2 LW..

So if there is an issue it seems to be within the linerless LW Golden models... ?
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
darkjabroni

Post by darkjabroni »

Hi everyone, been lurking for a little bit but finally feel like I have something to contribute. I've also noticed the rattling on my s90v Native 5 LW.

In addition, I also noticed that there is a tiny gap between the scale and the backlock on the clip side.

I'm going to try and take it apart this weekend to see if I can find the issue, but otherwise it actually doesn't bother me a whole lot as long as the knife doesn't fall apart in my hands.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:14 pm
Native 5 LW is one of the easiest models to take apart and put back together. I'd be taking a look inside and figuring out what the issue is. There's not much to those knives. I can't be too hard to figure out why it rattles the way it does.
It’s not a matter of easy (I fix Japanese cars for a living, most things are easy to take apart for me :D) for a knife of that price (or anything above about $25) you shouldn’t have to. I know I know, production blades blah blah... but I been buying spydercos for a long time and have never had issues like what’s been popping up on my LW models :(
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I’d take advantage of Spyderco’s and warranty and send both in. Hopefully they can take a look at what’s wrong and find out what’s breaking down in the production to be causing these sorts of issues.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

prndltech wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:31 am
Sharp Guy wrote:
It’s not a matter of easy (I fix Japanese cars for a living, most things are easy to take apart for me :D) for a knife of that price (or anything above about $25) you shouldn’t have to. I know I know, production blades blah blah... but I been buying spydercos for a long time and have never had issues like what’s been popping up on my LW models :(
I agree you shouldn't have to but I personally feel that it might be worth the effort to remove a few screws and see what's going on vs going through the hassle of sending it back.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:53 am
prndltech wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:
I agree you shouldn't have to but I personally feel that it might be worth the effort to remove a few screws and see what's going on vs going through the hassle of sending it back.
but if I do disassemble it, then I can’t just return for a refund or exchange it, I would have to spend even more money to ship it to spyderco and back.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
carrot

Post by carrot »

I’d ask for an exchange. You probably can fix it, but you shouldn’t have to for a fresh one out of the box.
darkjabroni

Post by darkjabroni »

prndltech wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 8:13 am
Sharp Guy wrote:
Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:53 am
prndltech wrote:
Sharp Guy wrote:
but if I do disassemble it, then I can’t just return for a refund or exchange it, I would have to spend even more money to ship it to spyderco and back.
I've figured out what was causing the rattling on the s90v native. The screw next to the lockbar was very loose. A quarter turn with a driver and it came out. I don't know how I didn't notice this when I first got it. It might have come loose with opening and closing the knife.

Looking at the threads there doesn't seem to be any threadlocker residue on it; maybe the guy assembling them forgot? Either way applying loctite and screwing it back in solved the issue. Hope this helps for yours as well. If the issue pops back up again I'll update.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Return where you bought it from and exchange or get something different. I've never had a problem with native 5 Lightweights so I think you should give them another try
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri Nov 06, 2020 6:51 am
Return where you bought it from and exchange or get something different. I've never had a problem with native 5 Lightweights so I think you should give them another try
The s90v is sold out at the particular dealer, the SPY27 will probably be exchanged. I want to try that steel!

My serrated s35vn is spot on.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006