Lightest Weight Spydercos...?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bolster

Re: Lightest Weight Spydercos...?

Post by Bolster »

carrot wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 9:20 am
I did a trip at 18# total weight where 6.6# of that was water (3L). Another 2-3# was food. Every ounce counts! I am pretty sure I carried the skeletonized Izula on that trip, which was much more knife than necessary.
You rock, Carrot. Nine lbs is an impressive baseweight. Recently I've carried the Eskabar in D2, which is a cousin to your skeletonized Izula. But it's 4oz with sheath, and more knife than is needed for my trips, so would like to reduce some weight. And I'd like to carry a Spyder, out of brand loyalty + their excellent heat treats. Would like to see a 3-1/2" fixed blade that's sub 3oz, all in, for longer/more remote trips---but that may be unrealistic. However the Bradley Air at 1.2 oz is no slouch...
Last edited by Bolster on Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

(double post)
carrot

Post by carrot »

The Spyderco Vagabond, which was a unique design and terribly underrated, was 2.8oz and had an integral sheath. Pretty good if we’re counting discontinued models.

I’m a little bit of the old school mentality though. If I’m carrying a knife on a trip, I definitely do prefer it in my pockets rather than deep in my bag. The Manix 2 LW or PacSalt 2 seems quite unbeatable to me.
vivi

Post by vivi »

carrot wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 1:27 pm
The Spyderco Vagabond, which was a unique design and terribly underrated, was 2.8oz and had an integral sheath. Pretty good if we’re counting discontinued models.

I’m a little bit of the old school mentality though. If I’m carrying a knife on a trip, I definitely do prefer it in my pockets rather than deep in my bag. The Manix 2 LW or PacSalt 2 seems quite unbeatable to me.
The vagabond is a neat design I always did want to try. Arizona Custom Knives had some real cheap but I missed out on them.

I've done a lot of UL trips by foot and bike and there's never been a time I've needed a fixed blade. Not saying carrying a Mora instead of a Pacific Salt has no advantages though. I find I use it for food and odd tasks more than stuff like batoning firewood. In fact I generally don't make fires on UL trips because that's time I could spend covering more ground instead.

I'd never carry something over 3oz on an UL trip, fixed or folding.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

carrot wrote:

Well, perhaps they´ll revive the design and if, in an upgraded steel?
I started a thread once asking who´d be interested in a return of the Vagabond: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85548
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

Wartstein wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:15 pm
carrot wrote:

I started a thread once asking who´d be interested in a return of the Vagabond: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=85548
The molds no longer exist, they were modified for the aqua salt
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

vivi wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:47 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:15 pm
carrot wrote:

The molds no longer exist, they were modified for the aqua salt
Thanks, Vivi, but I knew this already (was discussed in that thread I started once).

So, yes, "reviving" the model would require making new molds (expensive, I know!).
They could also just pick up the design, make another model along its lines in a higher end steel and give it another try?
But probably there is not a big enough market for such a model.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

I updated my blade-length by weight chart and added several knives. I did a search on the spyderco catalog for "lightweight" and added most of those. In terms of blade/weight efficiency, the "winners" (and ***big winners) are:

Ladybug
Ark ***
D'Fly
Bradley Air ***
Caly FRN
Salt
Mule
Pac Salt ***
Moran ***
Native Chief

I dunno about you, but I see a 'hole' between the 2.6-3.6" blade range... you can get more B/W efficiency if you go smaller or larger.

blade-by-weight.png
PS: In the chart above, the BM Bugout would be just right and below the "N" of "Caly FRN"...ie, right in the middle of the "hole."
Last edited by Bolster on Sat Nov 14, 2020 10:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Bear in mind FFG Pacifics are 2.5oz
RamZar

Post by RamZar »

Try the Chaparral Lightweight CTS-XHP Gray FRN with a blade length of 2.8", blade thickness of just 0.079" (quite a slicer with FFG) and a weight of 2.1 ounces for just $95.90.
  • I welcome dialog, as long as it remains cordial, constructive and is conducted in a civilized manner. - Titanic: Blood & Steel
  • You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time. - Abraham Lincoln
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The one thing I would never skimp on is my knife. I may never need it on such a trip but if I did, I'd need it badly.

I'd carry a Salt 2, Outdoor Edge Wedge, Esee Candiru or Izula (without scales) or something substantial but light weight. I've been in the wilderness where things got bad unexpectedly, despite preparations. I'd never go out without a good knife. That's me. I might even take an NAA .22 Mag mini revolver at 6 oz (but I'm paranoid).
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

The Baladéo 34G Superlight made a splash amongst the UL fans some time ago; seems unavailable now. 1.2 oz for a 3.8" blade. Boasted "High quality 420 stainess steel" LOL. But the design is interesting. Wonder what a chisel grind UL knife like this could be, after Sal or Eric applied their genius to it? OTOH, it might just be too dangerous to take on a trip; I would think opening it would be tricky and who needs a self-inflicted knife wound on a backpacking trip (don't ask me how I how about that!).
Attachments
Ultralight-Backpacking-Knife-300x182.jpg
Ultralight-Backpacking-Knife-300x182.jpg (7.34 KiB) Viewed 921 times
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

The SE ARK is on Pre Black Friday sale on KC, and apparently it's 2oz with sheath, which is really the interesting number.
It's a compelling little knife that I really haven't noticed before this thread. I don't think neck carry is my jam and I'm a little too heavily invested in folding salts ATM to jump on this right now.
vivi

Post by vivi »

aicolainen wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:45 pm
The SE ARK is on Pre Black Friday sale on KC, and apparently it's 2oz with sheath, which is really the interesting number.
It's a compelling little knife that I really haven't noticed before this thread. I don't think neck carry is my jam and I'm a little too heavily invested in folding salts ATM to jump on this right now.
Seems they sold out of Arks, but the bradley bowie and chinook 4 have tempting prices.

The Ark sheath is easy to mod to accept paracord loops for horizontal belt carry, or adding a G clip.
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

vivi wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 3:35 pm
aicolainen wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:45 pm
The Ark sheath is easy to mod to accept paracord loops for horizontal belt carry, or adding a G clip.
Nice to know.
Who knows, I might find use for it some day
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

An error on my part! I overlooked a flipper that is lightweight, but doesn't show up in a "lightweight" search: the Ikuchi. 2.4 oz for a blade of 3.3" -- that's a great ratio. Any opinions on how the Ikuchi would do as a lightweight backpacking knife? The blade shape should work well for food prep. I'm concerned about its safety...you want a really safe knife in the backcountry and the Ikuchi has no guard. A forward hand slip might be an issue. Also it is reported in other threads as difficult to open...no spyder hole for positive thumb activiation. Might be difficult to deploy in cold weather with numb hands? Opinions on whether sufficiently robust for backcountry use? (Photo credit: Reliks.com)
Attachments
Ikuchi-Pocket-Knife.jpg
aicolainen

Post by aicolainen »

As you say, the Ikuchi is probably a great choice for food prep, and what you want to use it for should be the deciding factor. Personally I share your worries regarding deployment. Also, it looks a little fragile for general outdoor use beyond food prep.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Bolster wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:29 pm
An error on my part! I overlooked a flipper that is lightweight, but doesn't show up in a "lightweight" search: the Ikuchi. 2.4 oz for a blade of 3.3" -- that's a great ratio. Any opinions on how the Ikuchi would do as a lightweight backpacking knife? The blade shape should work well for food prep. I'm concerned about its safety...you want a really safe knife in the backcountry and the Ikuchi has no guard. A forward hand slip might be an issue. Also it is reported in other threads as difficult to open...no spyder hole for positive thumb activiation. Might be difficult to deploy in cold weather with numb hands? Opinions on whether sufficiently robust for backcountry use? (Photo credit: Reliks.com)

I find that the detent on my Ikuchi is the hardest to open among all my Spydercos - and the bic-lighter style opening mechanism almost ripped the skin off my thumb and forefinger more than once. Depending on your finger strength and break in period it might be hard or easy for you to open this. Certainly not as fun as I thought it would. Drop shutty though (got the CQI version)
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
carrot

Post by carrot »

Bolster wrote:
Sat Nov 14, 2020 7:29 pm
I'm concerned about its safety...you want a really safe knife in the backcountry and the Ikuchi has no guard. A forward hand slip might be an issue. Also it is reported in other threads as difficult to open...no spyder hole for positive thumb activiation. Might be difficult to deploy in cold weather with numb hands? Opinions on whether sufficiently robust for backcountry use? (Photo credit: Reliks.com)
The Ikuchi has a wildly strong detent, and it's one of the few non-lockbacks that I feel comfortable carrying loose in pocket. I'm not particularly worried about hand slip with the Ikuchi, but it is of course a possibility when you get very stabby. The CF is fairly grippy. It feels quite strong, but you can kind of feel a bit of flex at the tip, which makes me worried about doing more hard tasks with it.

The Bic lighter action is very difficult to do with numb hands. Unfortunately there is really no alternative deployment on this knife. Ease of deployment is in fact, one of the reasons I use Spyderco opening holes nearly exclusively.