Lightest Weight Spydercos...?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Bolster

Lightest Weight Spydercos...?

Post by Bolster »

Did Spyderco make any other knives as light as the Gayle Bradley Air (1.2 oz, glass fiber handles, ti liners, 2.6" M4 blade)? While we are on the topic, what would be the lightest weight choices from Spyderco with a blade length around 3"? I'm trying to become an ultralightweight backpacker, and every ounce counts...
Wartstein

Re: Lightest Weight Spydercos...?

Post by Wartstein »

Bolster wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:59 pm
Did Spyderco make any other knives as light as the Gayle Bradley Air (1.2 oz, glass fiber handles, ti liners, 2.6" M4 blade)? While we are on the topic, what would be the lightest weight choices from Spyderco with a blade length around 3"? I'm trying to become an ultralightweight backpacker, and every ounce counts...

Well, on your second question:
If you want to go lightweight (and, additional bonus perhaps, rustproof) the FRN Salt series (linerless!) is the way to go:
- Exactly your desired 3 " blade length: Salt 2, 2.1 oz (H1 steel)
- Though generally and especially for backpacking I´d size up: The new Pac Salt ffg in LC200N: Just 2.6 oz for 3.78" of very slicey blade
- Or you wait for the most likely upcoming Salt 2 ffg in LC 200N: It should be even lighter than the above mentioned H1 variant (due to ffg vs hollow sabre grind)
- And if you want liners: Don´t overlook the regular Delica: Just 2.3 oz, and with that even a tad lighter than the linerless Para 3 LW or Native 5 LW (and for me personally the a bit better knife too)
- EDIT: Forgot the amazing Centofante 3: 2.5 oz for a bit over 3" of actual cutting edge (bladelength 3.14)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

The Ark is under an ounce.
:unicorn
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

The ARK was my first thought as well if your looking for a lightweight knife for backpacking.
-Nick :bug-red
Blnd

Post by Blnd »

Bolster wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 1:59 pm
If you are going ultralight the most you will need a knife for is cutting cheese or opening food wrappers. No minimum length needed there. Something as simple as a ladybug would meet your needs. I use a Dragonfly 2 and it does EVERYTHING I’ve ever needed a knife for when backpacking, even when I bring my fishing gear.
Blnd

Post by Blnd »

Deleted: repeat post
Last edited by Blnd on Thu Nov 05, 2020 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

I’ll emphasize what’s already been stated that the knife that likely fits your application best is either a Salt 2 or Pacific Salt 2, especially the new green versions with LC200N steel. Very lightweight linerless handles, tough corrosion proof steel, functional design. The Centofante 3 is a criminally underrated knife as well, but in my mind it fits a more formal application than outdoorsy.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Ez556

Post by Ez556 »

If you wanted to shave a few grams you could probably take off the pocket clip and carry it in the pocket. I’m not sure if the given weight of the ARK is with or without the sheath, my assumption is that the weight is without the sheath, in which case you might end up being able to carry a Salt 2 without a clip at a lighter weight than the ARK with the sheath it would need to be carried safely, and still end up with an (arguably) more capable knife. This is an assumption and opinion though.
*EDIT* The Spyderco website says the ARK with the sheath is 2.0oz (57 grams) and it has an edge length of 2.10”. The Salt 2 is 2.1oz (60 grams) and has an edge length of 2.65”. The handle is also gonna be longer and more hand filling i.e. more comfortable during use IMO. As was stated, the LC200N version will likely be even lighter with its full flat grind and may end up being at the same 2.0oz mark as the ARK. Dropping the clip and carrying it in the pocket would likely give you an even lighter package than the ARK with its sheath.
Last edited by Ez556 on Wed Nov 04, 2020 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Likes FRN
:spyder: MEMBER OF THE CRUWEAR NATION :spyder:
sal wrote:
Sun Aug 04, 2019 7:28 am
But in reality, there is nothing quite like a gun. And it has been said, "The only way to stop a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun".
Sumdumguy wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:35 am
Does that complexity decrease the simplicity? Not at all.
Abyss_Fish wrote:
Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:54 pm
Ti is uh, 300 dollars.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

ARK is probably the lightest that you can really use.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
abiggs

Post by abiggs »

ARK plus sheath comes in at 2.0 oz according to Spyderco.
abiggs

Post by abiggs »

Salt 2 comes in at 2.1 oz. and you could still take off the pocket clip for extra weight reduction. Throw that in the hip belt of your pack and you’re good to go!
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

Thanks for the replies, folks. I've had some exposure to H1 and am frankly not a fan of its edge holding capabilities for an extended trip, and I'd not be carrying a sharpening stone. I'd carry a bit more weight, if I must, for a steel that holds its edge better. Is LC200N pretty good for edge holding?

I own the Air and its M4 steel has been wonderful...basically sharpen it, and forget about it for a month. But I'd like to have a little more blade length with me.
tonijedi

Post by tonijedi »

I believe the bug is the lightest offering as of now :D
Sincerely, most lightweight backpackers won't carry a folding knife larger than the Victorinox Classic.
But that's no fun in that!
About the sharpening stone: sandpaper is your friend.
Bolster

Post by Bolster »

tonijedi wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:31 pm
Sincerely, most lightweight backpackers won't carry a folding knife larger than the Victorinox Classic.
But that's no fun in that! About the sharpening stone: sandpaper is your friend.
True that. Some will only carry a razor blade; no fun. I can splurge an ounce or two for a decent knife. Hey, good idea re: sandpaper. Thanks.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bolster wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:26 pm
Thanks for the replies, folks. I've had some exposure to H1 and am frankly not a fan of its edge holding capabilities for an extended trip, and I'd not be carrying a sharpening stone. I'd carry a bit more weight, if I must, for a steel that holds its edge better. Is LC200N pretty good for edge holding?

I own the Air and its M4 steel has been wonderful...basically sharpen it, and forget about it for a month. But I'd like to have a little more blade length with me.

Have you tried H1 in SE? A lot better edge retention than PE in my experience (and obviously many others too).
Plus: Should SE get dull, it will still separate stuff much better than dull PE.

/ On LC200N: I think it has clearly better edge holding than H1 in PE (though of course it is not M4-ish by far in that regard). Just what I read though, haven´t tried LC myself yet.
Last edited by Wartstein on Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bolster wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:49 pm
tonijedi wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 4:31 pm
But that's no fun in that! About the sharpening stone: sandpaper is your friend.
True that. Some will only carry a razor blade; no fun. I can splurge an ounce or two for a decent knife. Hey, good idea re: sandpaper. Thanks.

Can´t believe I forgot: Chaparral FRN. It is not particularly light for its size, but still comes in at only 2.1oz

- Offers about the cutting edge of a Native (just a tad shorter)
- XHP is a great steel imho, with S30V-ish edge retention
- It is a VERY slim carry, but of highest and very solid built quality
- It is a great slicer due to the pretty uniquely (for a Spyderco) thin blade (2.00 mm)
- For me it is one of the best "bang for the buck" Spydies and the most perfectly designed little knife I am aware of
- I use mine for about any knife task, also for "harder use" ones
vivi

Post by vivi »

LC200N is closer to VG10 edge retention than M4. Its a step up from PE H1 for sure, but not up to M4 levels.

The S110V UKPK would be a good choice if you don't need a lock. Exceptional edge holding, very corrosion resistant, very light.
:unicorn
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Many good choices above. The native 5 frn is another good choice at 2.5oz and is available in s110v that will hold an edge almost forever. 3 in blade with 2.5in of edge, great ergos and the bulletproof golden back lock.

I'll ignore the blue butterfly logoed elephant in the room. :D
paladin

Post by paladin »

Manix 2 LW s110v ca. 3 ounces...this knife will exceed your need in the best way possible.
What is truth? Pontius Pilate
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I would choose something in LC200N, if you want to have zero worries and a great blade. It's also one of the toughest steels around.

I do love M4, though...
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson