Spy27 Corrosion Resistance

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Surfingringo

Spy27 Corrosion Resistance

Post by Surfingringo »

Has anyone used this steel enough to get an idea of how corrosion resistant it is? Compared to s30v for example? Reading about the steel I would guess that the higher nitrogen, lower carbon makeup might offer some improvement over s30v in this area but I have not had the chance to use the steel yet. Just curious.
BDNX

Re: Spy27 Corrosion Resistance

Post by BDNX »

I’d be interested in that as well..
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

It should be pretty corrosion resistant looking at the composition, but I’m with you, numbers on charts don’t mean much to me!
Doesn’t seem to have made it to the masses yet, I recall reading a lot of people holding off to hear from others... with that said my native should be here today or tomorrow. I don’t seem to have an issue with corroding steels, so I may not be of much help.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

I'm really surprised at the dearth of user info on this steel. I haven't been actively looking in other places, but I expected more discussion/testing threads on this board.
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

I guess there's not enough knives in this steel out there for a few people to have an objective review regarding the steel's performance over time, including corrosion resistance. But I don't know and I could be wrong, I still have to get lucky getting a Para 3 LW in SPY27, they seem to be always sold out...
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
Larrin

Post by Larrin »

Surfingringo wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:29 am
Has anyone used this steel enough to get an idea of how corrosion resistant it is? Compared to s30v for example? Reading about the steel I would guess that the higher nitrogen, lower carbon makeup might offer some improvement over s30v in this area but I have not had the chance to use the steel yet. Just curious.
I already did that comparison: https://knifesteelnerds.com/2020/03/02/ ... -and-more/
http://www.KnifeSteelNerds.com - Steel Metallurgy topics related to knives
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Haha it's not in any way scientific, but here's a snippet from my post in another Spy27 thread..
DSH007 wrote:
Tue Jul 21, 2020 9:08 am

Also, a note on corrosion resistance.. I carried my SPY27 P3LW most of the last week. It's been hot and very humid in the northeast lately. Between Saturday and Sunday, I hiked a little over 13 miles in ~95 degree weather with the knife in my right front pocket. I don't sweat like some people do, but that's about as sweaty as I get. I hadn't treated my blade with anything, and honestly, didn't even remember to wipe it down or anything post-hike Sat or Sun.. When I thought to check on it though, there was absolutely no sign of any corrosion.. no spotting, staining, or signs of rust at all. YMMV, but as far as I'm concerned, SPY27 is absolutely good to go for my needs when it comes to the corrosion resistance department..
Not that I generally have issues with rusting S30V.. but given a choice between the two, I'd be more comfortable with Spy27 in my pocket in a corrosive environment. I'm not sure how it will perform for you out on the kayak, Lance, but for me and my uses, Spy27 has exhibited a reassuring level of corrosion resistance..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

I'll know more when I get my mule >:)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

Larrin wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:44 am
Surfingringo wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:29 am
I already did that comparison: https://knifesteelnerds.com/2020/03/02/ ... -and-more/
Missed that. Thanks Larrin! Looks about on par with s30v.