Report: Pacific Salt 2 blade swap

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
vivi

Report: Pacific Salt 2 blade swap

Post by vivi »

I swapped blades on two Pacific Salt 2's today. Black handle H1 SE, green handle LC200N PE. Here's how they looked right after the swap:

Here's something interesting I noticed. The cut-out for the lock bar is shaped different between the two models:

After seeing this I did something with the LC200N/Black FRN Pacific I never tried while the blade was in the green handle - I checked for vertical play. There's zero lock rock if I press the edge down into a cutting board, which is a first for me with Pacific Salts.

Finally, here's the LC200N PE blade after re-shaping the tip.

Surprisingly only shaved off a gram:

Ready to go in my pocket now. Excited to test it out tomorrow!

:unicorn
skeeg11

Re: Report: Pacific Salt 2 blade swap

Post by skeeg11 »

Looking forward to your results. Have a serrated version in the mail. First thing I'm gonna do is check for lock rock and blade play.
sal

Post by sal »

Nice job Vivi, Keep us posted.

sal
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Great job, Vivi. I like that tip.

How interesting is that new lockup! I see there is more engagement in the new lock. What does the lock bar look like when mated to the notch?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
vivi

Post by vivi »

sal wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:16 pm
Nice job Vivi, Keep us posted.

sal
Will do!
Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:46 pm
Great job, Vivi. I like that tip.

How interesting is that new lockup! I see there is more engagement in the new lock. What does the lock bar look like when mated to the notch?
Perfectly flush on both ends. Most my Pacific Salts have a lock bar that sits proud of the thumb ramp on the blade, or handle near the lock release.

Wonder if this change will be implemented across all Pacific Salts?
elena86

Post by elena86 »

I am lost here. Some folks allready complained about the green Pac Salt having lock rock...
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
vivi

Post by vivi »

elena86 wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:54 am
I am lost here. Some folks allready complained about the green Pac Salt having lock rock...
People have also reported Sirens with no vertical play and mine has some.

This is the first Spyderco lockback I can recall having zero lock rock when I use it on a cutting board either way. I'll make sure to report if that holds true over time.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Both my lc200n pac salts (PE and SE) both have the familiar back lock rock, while none of my natives do.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Thanks for the pics! Your reshape turned out great! I've been thinking about doing the same to mine, and maybe Rit dye the butt a black fade to green.

My example does have some rock.
Last edited by abbazaba on Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Double tap
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Is this change to the lock true for the Enduras as well, I wonder?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
elena86

Post by elena86 »

vivi wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:19 am
elena86 wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:54 am
People have also reported Sirens with no vertical play and mine has some.

This is the first Spyderco lockback I can recall having zero lock rock when I use it on a cutting board either way. I'll make sure to report if that holds true over time.

That’s why we need a serrated Millie in LC 200N :eek:
Marius

" A mind all logic is like a knife all blade. It makes the hand bleed that uses it "
( Rabindranath Tagore )

Proud member of the old school spyderedge nation :bug-white-red
blueblur

Post by blueblur »

Looks good with the black handle and corrected tip.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've always heard and believed that interchangeability like this is a sign of very precise machine work. There are some car parts like this that come to mind like Ford ring and pinion gear sets that are usually sold as sets and with other brands you really should keep those sets together, but on a Ford those gears are cut so precise that you can change a ring gear to a different pinion gear and they'll mesh just fine (assuming they're the same ratio of course).
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Nice swap! I’d like to do the same, except starting with a blacked out SE Pacific Salt 2 to get the black and green result.
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

That looks fantastic Vivi!

Seeing that thing at only 71 grams makes me hopeful that whenever the Delica sized one is released it'll be 56 grams.
You can bet your bottom dollar I'll be getting one and promptly modding it into what I've been calling the "Hyker" mod for over a year or more now.

u.w.
vivi

Post by vivi »

u.w. wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:17 am

Seeing that thing at only 71 grams makes me hopeful that whenever the Delica sized one is released it'll be 56 grams.
You can bet your bottom dollar I'll be getting one and promptly modding it into what I've been calling the "Hyker" mod for over a year or more now.

u.w.
What does that mod entail?
Woodpuppy wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:13 am
Nice swap! I’d like to do the same, except starting with a blacked out SE Pacific Salt 2 to get the black and green result.
That would be pretty cool. I had a black SE H1 blade in the orange Spyderhawk handle for a while and that was a fun combo.

Not 100% sure if I'm keeping the H1 green handle Pacific or selling it to fund a new knife.
u.w.

Post by u.w. »

vivi wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:52 am
u.w. wrote:
Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:17 am

u.w.
What does that mod entail?
Hey Vivi,
The mod entails removing metal from between the holes in the liners. Ya can't do them all, but ya can do a few. Also, reshaping the blade shape like the Stretch, or UKPK drop point. I removed the un-necessary metal from the liners in an attempt to lighten it, and reshaped the blade because I prefer that blade shape. Removing metal from the bade (reshaping it) did also lighten it, but that wasn't why I did it. I also smoothed out the "bumps" on the handle a little bit too.
I'd subtly suggested the perhaps Spyderco make a linerless Delica with a VG10 or similar stainless blade (LC200N might just be about perfect), make it a drop point blade like the UKPK or Stretch. I'd further suggested that keeping the weight to or below 2 oz would be preferred, or ideal, and I suggested calling it the Hyker. Hi-vis handle color(s) also make sense.
I thought it was only a year-ish ago that I'd begun mentioning it, but in going back and checking some of my old posts, I found it was closer to two years ago now...
Anyways, here is a photo from the "show your mods" thread of one of the one's I've done. The one I hike with almost exclusively is an orange handled one (hi-vis)

This new hi-vis green handle with LC200N is getting close. Easy enough to trace out the UKPK drop point blade shape, and carefully sand it, making it what I'd suggested going on two years ago now, the Delica Hyker, or Salt 2 Hyker.

u.w.