Manix LW Rex45 Issues

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Riggz

Re: Manix LW Rex45 Issues

Post by Riggz »

Update:

Sold the stiff Manix LW in question with full disclosure and video of multiple open/closing. Naturally sold for a loss. Grabbed another one and asked for video support in the purchase to check it’s action. The new Rex Manix LW is a 180 experience from the first. Smooth action and can actually be adjusted by the pivot screw!!

My concern moving forward with any new Manix LW is the variance in what’s be allowed to leave Golden. Too much of a gamble in what you’re going to receive. With the riveted construction, you’re stuck with a potential issue that ruins your experience with the knife. I love this model...wishfully hoping for a cqi improvement to screwed construction.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Riggz wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:25 am
The new Rex Manix LW is a 180 experience from the first. Smooth action and can actually be adjusted by the pivot screw!!
I'm jealous. I was mentally prepared to start plating rivets yesterday, but as I was getting ready to go outside, I flicked the knife and thought to myself, "Dude, do you REALLY want to spend the whole day futzing with something that most people would be perfectly happy with?" The answer was no, so I stuffed the knife in my pocket and went about working on more gratifying projects.
Lumpy

Post by Lumpy »

I had a Rex manix LW just come in today. Action is fine, doesn’t drop shut but it’s smooth enough. But there is a slight rattle that I cannot seem to find the source of. Anybody else have an issue like this?
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

At work today, troubleshooting something tiny, technical, and potentially dangerous.

The right hand is holding delicate hardware, eyes are focused on tiny parts. The left hand finds my Manix 2 LW REX 45 exactly where it should be in my pocket, removes it, and flicks it open. The razor-sharp tip executes a precise cut where needed, and fingers deftly pull back the lock before sticking the knife back into the pocket... but... the blade stalls rather than closes.

WTF?!!! Tools need to work perfectly without becoming the focus of attention. I don't have time to "look" at the tool, and I don't need extra movement before moving to the real task at hand. Unlike what the customer service people think, I can't be flicking my wrist and waving around a knife like some pajama-clad ninja. I'm a craftsman, not a knife wielding YouTube circus clown.

So this afternoon I came home, retired to the shop, and didn't come out until the LW was to my liking.

I documented some of the highlights, but I'm not sure if sharing the details is encouraged here. After all, it only takes a split second to turn a nice knife into a useless pile of parts that is unwarranted and an embarrassment to the owner and the maker.

Regardless, tomorrow when I get dressed and slip the LW into my pocket, instead of thinking, "Darn, I should have sent this knife back," I'll be thinking, "I LOVE this knife. It's perfect. I made it that way."
tbdoc4kids

Post by tbdoc4kids »

Share, please!
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Dang, I wonder how craftsmen of old managed to produce such wonders as they did with only simple steels, slip-joint knives, and hand powered tools?
Good job on adjusting it to your preference! I usually just close the blade with a finger or against my leg or other surface as I don't trust or rely on drop to close.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

I just noticed something else.

Whether the blade is opened or closed, If I pull the ball cage all the way back and then shake the knife I can hear the ball bearing rattle.

My other manix lightweights do not do this. I once had a rattle from a pivot screw being loose and letting the outside pivot washer rattle, but this is not the case on my rex45 m2lw.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I flat out won't carry or buy a knife that drops shut. I want all openings and closings to be controlled at all times.

Joe
Pokey

Post by Pokey »

Just a few more data points for everyone. I've got a blue FRCP lightweight Manix 2 and a standard G-10 (heavyweight?). I don't believe I've ever adjusted the pivot on either of these.

Neither will drop free when I pull back on the ball cage, but it only takes the slightest amount of a fling o' the wrist to drop the blades past 90°. With the cage pulled all the way back the blades pivot smoothly, on both, without any crunchiness. As adjusted, there's slight friction on both of the blades, so they won't swing freely. I'm ok with the way they're adjusted.

The G-10 model doesn't click on opening, the LW does. It clicks when the tip of the blade is about 5/8" (1.6 cm) from the pointy edge of the handle. If I hold the ball cage back far enough that the ball doesn't touch the tang there is no click. So, something's going on between the tang and the ball and not the pivot.

If I hold the cage back with the blade in the handle on either one and shake them the balls rattle slightly. If I do this with the blade open, the G-10 is silent, while the LW rattles. This doesn't worry me one way or the other, the two probably aren't designed as a tight tolerance/interference fit. The ball is probably designed to float a bit in the cage.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

The Mastiff wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:09 am
I flat out won't carry or buy a knife that drops shut. I want all openings and closings to be controlled at all times.
Either way you have to be on your toes the whole time but I'm with you- I think controlled closing is safer. I once had a knife of another brand, a lockback, that would drop freely. Before I realized this I got a pretty bad cut when I activated the lock and the blade dropped on my finger.