Sal, what happens with...

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
archangel

Sal, what happens with...

Post by archangel »

... the prototypes that you carry, and bombshell-drop about from time to time? With all rather end stage prototypes? I can imagine that early stage prototypes are being scrapped (maybe I'm wrong), otherwise there must be thousands by now. But PTs that are pretty much final, that you Sal carry and test cause you are confident they are good, I doubt they are scrapped. :confused:

I wonder if maybe you have your own PT "museum", or if they end up in labeled boxes and in big storage boxes or shelves. Or if there is no general rule, and you decide case by case what happens with them.

If this question was answered in another thread before, forum masterminds may please post a link to that thread. :)
Last edited by archangel on Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
carrot

Re: Sal, what happens with...

Post by carrot »

Can we see some prototypes that made it to production with some tweaks? I'm so curious.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

carrot wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:31 am
Can we see some prototypes that made it to production with some tweaks? I'm so curious.
I’ll second that, seeing models like the rhino evolve pre-production was so interesting. Would love to see it with other models.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
p_atrick

Post by p_atrick »

Maybe an online "museum" of these prototypes and their production counterparts. If you ever get a chance to go to the factory outlet, they have a display of the progression of the Native over time (I think it is in the Native Chief disassembly video). Something like that would be fun.

EDIT: Yup, you can see the display at about the 4:25 second mark of the Native Chief Breakdown video on YT.

https://youtu.be/hndK4YAP4oM?t=267
pantagana23

Post by pantagana23 »

This could be an interesting thread.
Maybe even call it Spyderco Prototype Thread if it lives on.

It would be more than interesting to see all the current prototypes in testing, and even past ones that never made it to production.

Who knows, maybe a couple boxed prototypes would even make it to production if wider public showed interest.
archangel

Post by archangel »

Actually I'm only interested to learn what happens with the PTs...

For history and pics of PTs, evolution of designs etc etc., start your own threads. :p
Michael
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
sal

Post by sal »

Michael,

The first prototypes are made out of plastic. We may make half dozen of those until the ergos are right. When we're OK with the plastic version, then we make a hand made prototype in-house. Our prototype maker is very good.

Usually that works out, though sometimes they're not and more proto's are made. The Shaman took 4 or 5 prototypes. From there we plan production. The next prototype will be hand made by the maker (Golden, Seki, Taiwan, Italy or China). All of the above will be stored in the prototype cabinet, many hundreds. Even the ones that never go into production.

The next proto will be made from tooling. Last chance for changes without spending a bunch of bread, which does happen sometimes, like with the Lil' Temperance 3.

The next piece will be a sample of production for approval. These are usually OK and both Eric and I have to carry and use each of those for a while to be sure. There are usually 1 or 2 per week. Eric and I ave to pay for these as they are considered used and cannot be sold as new.

It would be really dangerous for us to show protos in any of the early development. Competition, as well as counterfeiters could/would hurt us with that information.

The production samples for approval are pieces That we do plan to resell. We just haven't come up with an effective method.

Hope that answers your , and other's questions.

sal
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

sal wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 7:22 pm
Michael,

The first prototypes are made out of plastic. We may make half dozen of those until the ergos are right. When we're OK with the plastic version, then we make a hand made prototype in-house. Our prototype maker is very good.

Usually that works out, though sometimes they're not and more proto's are made. The Shaman took 4 or 5 prototypes. From there we plan production. The next prototype will be hand made by the maker (Golden, Seki, Taiwan, Italy or China). All of the above will be stored in the prototype cabinet, many hundreds. Even the ones that never go into production.

The next proto will be made from tooling. Last chance for changes without spending a bunch of bread, which does happen sometimes, like with the Lil' Temperance 3.

The next piece will be a sample of production for approval. These are usually OK and both Eric and I have to carry and use each of those for a while to be sure. There are usually 1 or 2 per week. Eric and I ave to pay for these as they are considered used and cannot be sold as new.

It would be really dangerous for us to show protos in any of the early development. Competition, as well as counterfeiters could/would hurt us with that information.

The production samples for approval are pieces That we do plan to resell. We just haven't come up with an effective method.

sal

I can probably speak for the whole forum and say I'd love to see prototypes of models that are already in production if that's possible. For example seeing the difference development stages of the Shaman would be really cool.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
ugaarguy

Post by ugaarguy »

sal wrote:

sal
Sal, may I suggest that they be sold at auction with the proceeds from each going to different charities? I think it would be a good fit since Spyderco already has the donation program with the Sage series and others. Perhaps also donate one sample per year to Knife Rights to be one of the knives given away in their "Ultimate Steel" fundraiser? Just a couple of ideas.
Dee

Post by Dee »

Michael,
Great question!
Sal,
Good info, thank you. Maybe it’s best to not let BBB know his cpm 15v baby is going to be prototyped in......plastic.
Dee
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Dee,

It's too late. :p We already made a prototype in plastic, We made a prototype in steel, sent it to him to check out, he sent it back and Eric s already squeezed it into the Golden factory queue. But don't tell Shawn. ;)

sal
Dee

Post by Dee »

I don’t know if I can hold this one inside Sal.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Well, this is certainly interesting.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
archangel

Post by archangel »

Wow Sal, big thanks for so much insight!!

I like the idea of auctioning off the PTs and giving the cash to charities - like it ALOT! I'd never thought that you'd let go these babies to other people. But if you do, charities benefit from this certainly is the best way to go! :)
Michael
austrian_spyder_fan

Post by austrian_spyder_fan »

sal wrote:

sal
How whould be an auction for a good cause or a raffle?
gbcaffee

Post by gbcaffee »

Area 51 - where all prototypes of any value reside.
sal

Post by sal »

Sorry. We don't sell prototypes. They are a history that Eric will need.

sal
archangel

Post by archangel »

I'm not surprised. :) It makes total sense.
Michael