Another "mini" Police thread?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Albatross

Another "mini" Police thread?

Post by Albatross »

I know there have been requests for a scaled-down Police, but with the P4 G10 going away, what are the odds of a flash batch(or better yet, standard offering) Police, that's smaller, with full liners and G10? A smaller Police with a 3 5" blade, K390 or S90V (and carbon fiber scales to keep with tradition) would be the perfect edc knife, in my opinion. The P4 G10 is deceptively good in so many ways, but it can be too big for some situations or tasks. I think a slight redesign, like the PM2‐>Para3 changes, might ruin the parts of the P4 I love so much, which is why a "simple"(aside from the design side aspect) scaling-down would be perfect for me.

Since cost and market response have been an issue for the Seki full-linered G10 knives, maybe a "one and done" version would be more likely? I'll take what I can get at this point.

I think this would be my "grail" knife. Honestly, I wouldn't care what color G10 (it could be pink and poop brown for all I care) and I would happily pay whatever the cost.
Mushroom

Re: Another "mini" Police thread?

Post by Mushroom »

I will always be adamantly against simply just scaling knives up or down to get a new model. I think it's lazy and deceptive design, but thats just me.

The Rookie is pretty much a 3 inch version of the Police. I think a Rookie sprint run in K390/G10 would be very popular.
-Nick :bug-red
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

This might have been covered in the past, but do you not consider the Endura and Delica to be the smaller "versions" of the police?
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

Mushroom wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:54 am
I will always be adamantly against simply just scaling knives up or down to get a new model. I think it's lazy and deceptive design, but thats just me.

The Rookie is pretty much a 3 inch version of the Police. I think a Rookie sprint run in K390/G10 would be very popular.
I generally agree with what you have said about the scaling being lazy and deceptive, but if it were requested by enough people(I doubt a smaller Police will be), then it's not being lazy or deceptive in my opinion, it's just catering to market demand.

The Rookie looks like a great knife and I would 100% buy one if it came back, but I have 3 issues with it: there's no forward choil, the handle is less flowing/more confined to certain grips than the Police 4, and it's a 3" blade vs the 3.5" I would like to see.

Maybe a redesigned Rookie, with a choil, more flowing grip area, and 3.5" blade would do it for me, I can't say without seeing one though. I suppose the Rookie would have to be redesigned anyway, because it was based on an older Police model, so I'll stay open to the idea.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

TenGrainBread wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:00 am
This might have been covered in the past, but do you not consider the Endura and Delica to be the smaller "versions" of the police?
I don't, because the handles of the Endura/Delica and Police feel worlds apart (to me) and the Endura/Delica don't have a choil. The Endura blade shape is good, but not as good as the Police, in my opinion.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Sounds a lot like a back lock Para 2 to me.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:47 am

The Straight Spine Stretch is pretty close to a backlock PM2 LW. If they threw a SSS blade into the G10 Stretch body that would be pretty darn close.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

steelcity16 wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:58 am
Evil D wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 10:47 am

The Straight Spine Stretch is pretty close to a backlock PM2 LW. If they threw a SSS blade into the G10 Stretch body that would be pretty darn close.
Yes, a SSS with full liners and G10 would be the closest to what I'm after. If it's as thin as the P4 handle, or very close to it, that could work. The end of the handle would need some file work though, to round off the "hook".
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Albatross,

It's a new design any way we go. As mushroom said, scaling down a model, in my opinion. really doesn't work. We've done it a few times when we let the maker create the smaller design. The knife may be smaller, but the hand doesn't get any smaller.

sal
vivi

Post by vivi »

Police is already the perfect size :cool:
:unicorn
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

sal wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:49 pm
Hi Albatross,

It's a new design any way we go. As mushroom said, scaling down a model, in my opinion. really doesn't work. We've done it a few times when we let the maker create the smaller design. The knife may be smaller, but the hand doesn't get any smaller.

sal
Thanks for your reply Sal.

I'm not entirely opposed to a redesign, so long as the "soul" of the Police is retained. Your line about a smaller knife, but not a smaller hand makes sense and is an angle I hadn't given much thought.

With that in mind, if a 3.5" version (with full liners and G10) were ever considered, even a complete redesign, I would want it.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

vivi wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:52 pm
It fits my hand better than pretty much any knife out there, but a smaller, more compact blade would be nice to have in addition to the P4.

I've noticed even friends and family being intimidated by the size of the Police, and some get quite nervous. If I'm preparing a meal with an 8" kitchen knife, no one bats an eye, but if I have a folding knife that's too big, it's suddenly scary... :confused:

I don't understand the fear of knives... I've seen people act afraid of a knife thats sitting on a table, as if the knife itself is evil. I lived in the Midwest for a while and the knife laws there were more strict than here in Maine, but people here (at least in my area) are still more timid, despite being quite rural.

Earlier today, I needed to make some intricate cuts, which the P4 handled well enough, but a smaller knife would have been more useful.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Albatross wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:01 pm
vivi wrote:
It fits my hand better than pretty much any knife out there, but a smaller, more compact blade would be nice to have in addition to the P4.

I've noticed even friends and family being intimidated by the size of the Police, and some get quite nervous. If I'm preparing a meal with an 8" kitchen knife, no one bats an eye, but if I have a folding knife that's too big, it's suddenly scary... :confused:

I don't understand the fear of knives... I've seen people act afraid of a knife thats sitting on a table, as if the knife itself is evil. I lived in the Midwest for a while and the knife laws there were more strict than here in Maine, but people here (at least in my area) are still more timid, despite being quite rural.

Earlier today, I needed to make some intricate cuts, which the P4 handled well enough, but a smaller knife would have been more useful.
If the handle fits you so well how would you feel about grinding down a Police blade to 3.5"? That way you know the ergos would work well for you and you could have the exact blade length you'd want.

The Police 4 is one of the most ergonomic folders for me too. I'm lucky in that since buying my first Police around 2008 I've never had issues carrying it around. Country, city, at work, at dinner, anywhere and everywhere. Used to cut up apples every day with my P3 at my office job and recently used my C95 to cut some thorns back growing on a playground. No looks.
sal

Post by sal »

Hi Albatross,

If we were to do it, we would make a G-10 version as a test run and then go to FRN, assuming a good response..

sal
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

vivi wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:15 pm
Albatross wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:01 pm
vivi wrote:

If the handle fits you so well how would you feel about grinding down a Police blade to 3.5"? That way you know the ergos would work well for you and you could have the exact blade length you'd want.

The Police 4 is one of the most ergonomic folders for me too. I'm lucky in that since buying my first Police around 2008 I've never had issues carrying it around. Country, city, at work, at dinner, anywhere and everywhere. Used to cut up apples every day with my P3 at my office job and recently used my C95 to cut some thorns back growing on a playground. No looks.
It fits well, but if I choke up (which I usually do), a 3.5" blade, and shorter handle, would still give enough room for my hand. For the times I don't choke up, I would have to deal with the compromise of a more cramped grip.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I'd consider getting one, since it would probably be small enough to fit in my back pocket, but I'm still trying to imagine what a 3.5" blade Police 4 would bring to the table that a G10 straight spine Stretch, which might be a lot easier to convince Spyderco to make since all the tooling already exists, would not.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
vivi

Post by vivi »

I'd imagine a 3.5" Police would still offer a full grip behind the choil.

Have you considered modding an Endura to have an index choil? The Pacific Salt in my pocket has one in fact.
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

YES YES YES to a re-upped Rookie, K390, ranger green G-10.
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
James Y

Post by James Y »

sal wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:19 pm
Hi Albatross,

If we were to do it, we would make a G-10 version as a test run and then go to FRN, assuming a good response..

sal

Sal,

Would it have the original hollow saber grind with swedged tip?

Jim
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

sal wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 2:19 pm
Hi Albatross,

sal
That would be great! Hopefully people want it as much as I do. I'll create a poll to see where people stand. Thanks Sal.