BaliYo "heavy duty"

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
archangel

BaliYo "heavy duty"

Post by archangel »

It is with great regret that for the first time ever I have to report that I am super disappointed of a Spyderco product. :(

Today I received an orange and blue "heavy duty" Made in the USA BaliYo, ordered in the US Oct 24th. I own a lightweight all grey China-made version for about 10 days or so. I like the overall idea of the product and the unique design, but I was/am unhappy with the lightweight and wobbly haptics. So I put high hopes in the much more expensive, US made, "heavy duty" version.

From weight point of view, if I put the lw version in one hand and the hd version in the other, I feel zero difference. I had hoped that the wings of the hd version would weigh more and swing better as a result, and that the whole thing feels better in hand. :(

The sturdiness is the even bigger disappointment. I'd say that the wings of the lw version wobble less, or the other way around that the "hd" version wobbles even more. :mad: I can't say that I see any improvement over the lw version from haptics point of view. None.

The only overall advantage I see is the Fisher Space Pen ink cartridge, and the nice colors. That is NOT worth $48.78 that I paid.

If I had bought the hd version in Germany, I'd send it back for full refund. Now I need to think what to do.

We, *I*, need a Titanium version with heavy brass or copper weights.
Michael
48 Spydies, 44 different models, 43 different steels
Grail knife, still to be acquired: original Tuff by Ed Schempp Feel free to help me find one at a reasonable price...
VooDooChild

Re: BaliYo "heavy duty"

Post by VooDooChild »

I bought the cheap baliyo and didnt like it. Its just not for me.

If the little metal circles were magnetic so they stayed together in the closed position, or stayed together in the open position, instead of the legs flopping all over when Im trying to write, then I might get another one.
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I have an LW BaliYo (so the cheap version) in the mail... curious how it will work out for me!
I like doing tricks and figures with actual balisong-/butterfly-knives, hope this will be possible with this pen at least to a certain degree too...

And I certainly thought of getting the "heavy duty" version too in case I I´ll like the LW... so I appreciate any feed back about the the "heavy duty"...
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
FullFlatMind

Post by FullFlatMind »

I have the lw version and I just write with it in the closed position. I too would like it to be magnetic so it would stay open/closed.
I_like_knives

Post by I_like_knives »

Magnets would ruin the "flippability."
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

I_like_knives wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 12:23 am
Magnets would ruin the "flippability."

Pretty valid point... :)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)