Boye dent poll. Let your voice be heard or be a sheep in a herd.

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

Boye dent. Is it worth keeping and why/why not?

Yes! Keep the Boye Dent
79%
Not in my back lock! Ditch the dent
21%

Total votes: 92

Monty

Re: Boye dent poll. Let your voice be heard or be a sheep in a herd.

Post by Monty »

Yes, in the dark it helps with locating by touch. There's no negatives to adding it that come to mind aside from the extra machining step.
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

I'm a huge fan of the dent. I hope it gets added to the Police LW via CQI and I hope any future new Seki backlock models have them. I'd be really bummed if something like the SSSXL came out and didn't have the dent. Long live the dent!!
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

Really don't care either way
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

I voted yes.
Why was removed anyway, was Spyderco paying a licence fee, to save a few cents?
ABX2011

Post by ABX2011 »

I didn't think I cared much either way but I just got the RockJumper and I missed it. So I added one.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 5:53 am
I know I'd rather have it than have this topic further beat into the ground. I never realized it mattered as much as it does to some. I could totally live without it but if it's that important to people I can live with it too.
I've been trying to figure out what the big deal is too. It's a nice feature I guess but I don't miss it at all on the models I have without it.

I didn't vote because I'm neither for or against it and there wasn't a choice for "I could care less" haha
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
benben

Post by benben »

You know, I’ve honestly never given the dent a lot of thought before other than on some knives I think it kills the lines / looks of it. But I definitely miss the dent on my new Rockjumper!
vivi

Post by vivi »

Used to not care, but since buying my Police 4's and using the Siren a lot I've come to prefer no dent.
:unicorn
embry386

Post by embry386 »

I like the Boye dent on most knives. Some, like the Native 5, look better without. I won't be too bothered either way though; even if they remove it, that's nothing that can't be fixed with some power tools. :spyder:
sal

Post by sal »

Gsg9 wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 11:57 am
I voted yes.
Hi Gsg9,

Almost sounds like an insult?

The Boye dent was added to some models because the lock well was large and we were concerned that the knife could be accidentally unlocked by pressure from the fleshy part of the hand. We added the dent, with David's permission, gave him credit for it, and we still have it on many models. In some recent designs, I reduced the size of the lock well which made it very difficult to accidentally unlock. This eliminated the need for the dent,which many complained about because they didn't like the "look" of the dent.

Now that the dent is no longer needed, I am being told that I should bring it back on the few models that we designed without it. It is sometimes a puzzlement? :confused:

sal
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I swear I’ve voted in a dent poll within the last year, but not this one or the one Wartstein linked. I’d prefer no dent, but ultimately I don’t care. It doesn’t figure into my decision to buy or not.
Tgmr05

Post by Tgmr05 »

I like the way Spyderco put them in some, and not in others. So, yes I like knives with it, and yes I like knives without it.

I did not vote, I like both. For example, I like the wider Native does not have it, and I like the Delica does...
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

sal wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:47 pm
Gsg9 wrote:
I voted yes.
Hi Gsg9,

The Boye dent was added to some models because the lock well was large and we were concerned that the knife could be accidentally unlocked by pressure from the fleshy part of the hand. We added the dent, with David's permission, gave him credit for it, and we still have it on many models. In some recent designs, I reduced the size of the lock well which made it very difficult to accidentally unlock. This eliminated the need for the dent,which many complained about because they didn't like the "look" of the dent.

Now that the dent is no longer needed, I am being told that I should bring it back on the few models that we designed without it. It is sometimes a puzzlement? :confused:

sal
Glad you chimed in! I was going to comment on that remark but thought better of if.

Most people don't understand the fine details of why something is done the way it is (myself included). As hard as you try you'll never please everyone. Just keep doing what you do so well. We just need to trust that you have a pretty good handle on these types of things
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
JohnDoe99

Post by JohnDoe99 »

Keep it. The dent prevents accidental disengagement of the lock during a tight hammer grip.
sal

Post by sal »

Thanx Sharp Guy,

We Try.

sal
shunsui

Post by shunsui »

I was a little concerned about my Siren, but after some investigation, it appears the blade doesn't unlock until the lockbar has just about bottomed out in the lock well. I think it would be difficult to unlock with a Boye dent in the lockbar.

Ps if you're still worried, the Waterway is a great little fixed blade.
Hobnob

Post by Hobnob »

I voted: Make America Dented Again.
JMM

Post by JMM »

In general I prefer it, the larger the knife the more I want it (p4, etc)
Gsg9

Post by Gsg9 »

sal wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:47 pm
Gsg9 wrote:
I voted yes.
Hi Gsg9,

sal

Hi Sal,

It wasn't intended as an insult, it was a question if the cost reduction(licence-if any/extra machining time=cost) was one of the reasons to drop it.

I never disengaged a Spyderco backlock accidentally, personally I like it because it helps locating by touch when the light is not that great and gives a bit of extra confidence placing a sweaty finger on the lock in that particular spot.

From the newer models I have a Police 4 LW, I wish it had the dent.

Didn't like the "look" for some versus missing some extra tactile feedback for others, tough puzzlement indeed.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sat Oct 31, 2020 7:29 am
I like it less on smaller knives.
This is bang on.

On small knives like the Baby Horn, Kiwi and such, it's not really needed.

On the larger models, it definitely is useful for accommodating the webbing in between my thumb and index finger. Not saying they would unlock without it. But, the lockbar can be depressed slightly from gripping it on some models that lack the dent.

I have yet to find any knife that was worse because it was there. Whereas with it not there, I have seen an "issue" as a result.

I say keep it.

Joke time:

Forum: "Lightweight EVERYTHING, it's all too heavy!"

Also Forum: "Hey, put that extra metal back!"

Me: "Ahhh, the logic." :)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson