DLT Cruwear purple Para3

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
TkoK83Spy

Re: DLT Cruwear purple Para3

Post by TkoK83Spy »

DSH007 wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:01 pm
BG-ThatsMe wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:04 pm
Spidey-Dawg wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:22 pm
I agree, DLT really should improve their hosing. There is no excuse not to have a host that can handle 100x the usual traffic.
There is no incentive for DLT to improve the customer experience. We’re talking about something on the order of $100k in sales in less than 5 minutes.

I really enjoy buying from DLT, but they have repeated this look too many times.

I think it’s time that they get put in the corner by Spyderco until they figure out a way to clean up these release fiascos.

For f-‘s sake...you have to be able to do better when you are generating that kind of revenue. That goes for Spyderco too.

I’d like to hear the response from Golden.
These types of comments seem to get made each time a popular knife drops and I'm continually perplexed by this line of thinking..

A dealer commissioned and paid for an order of x number of knives. A knife manufacturer produced and delivered the order to customer. End of transaction.

For the life of me, I can't understand what "response from Golden" you, or me, or anyone is owed because of a third (fourth?)-party server issue during a drop?

I hope dealers keep commissioning exclusives and I hope Spyderco keeps making them. I'd prefer missing out on the opportunity to buy a really cool exclusive and crying about not getting it on the internet for a day than having no opportunity at all.. Idk, maybe I'm the crazy one ;)
Especially when a majority of the people don't even use the knife anyways, so what's the point in getting so worked up about it in the first place if it's just going to sit around!?
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

BG-ThatsMe wrote:
I think it’s time that they get put in the corner by Spyderco until they figure out a way to clean up these release fiascos.

For f-‘s sake...you have to be able to do better when you are generating that kind of revenue. That goes for Spyderco too.

I guess I'm confused why people are calling this a "fiasco". Spyderco fulfilled the order to DLT, and DLT sold the knives. It's the (crazy) choice of the knife collectors to sit there and refresh their browser for 30 minutes. The outcome would be the same whether or not their server crashed - there's only so many knives and many times more people who want them, and so a lot of people won't get them. Whether the server handles the traffic or not doesn't change that.

The problem is the knife collectors' compulsive urge to get the new and cool thing, not Spyderco or DLT. Nobody needs a Cruwear PM2. It does the same thing as any other PM2, barring some truly minor variance in how frequently it needs to be sharpened.
WRB

Post by WRB »

TenGrainBread wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 3:24 pm
I guess I'm confused why people are calling this a "fiasco".
It certainly wasn't a good look for DLT. Their site crashed during the PM2 sale and then today, after assuring customers that experience wouldn't be repeated... had the server crash before the Para 3 even went on sale. When you do worse than before that's never a good thing. I somehow managed to get one even though I was half asleep and groggily placed the order on my phone. But if I hadn't, oh well. It's a knife - not the end of the world if I don't get one.

I don't see how this involves Spyderco at all or warrants any response. DLT just needs to get a new host since this one can't handle their sales.
Spidey-Dawg

Post by Spidey-Dawg »

All I know is that I am super eager to get my first Spyderco exclusive. It just shipped from DLT! :D :D
Metal

Post by Metal »

Newbie non colector here and I’ve delt with jacked online sales before, took 25 min but I got mine and it shipped already, can’t go wrong with a Master Of Reality colorway
Thanks to all parties involved

🤘🏽
Spidey-Dawg

Post by Spidey-Dawg »

The number of desperate scalpers on eBay for this knife is sickening. The desperation behind some people all to get a few extra bucks is pretty sad. After taxes and shipping, they will be a whole $50-80 in profit. Wooohoo.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Spidey-Dawg wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 4:04 pm
The number of desperate scalpers on eBay for this knife is sickening. The desperation behind some people all to get a few extra bucks is pretty sad. After taxes and shipping, they will be a whole $50-80 in profit. Wooohoo.
Profit is profit. If it was $5 they would still do it. Sad but that's the rub. I had to get my m4 shaman from ebay, paid a little more than I wanted to but not too much so I'm happy.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Counted 23 listings for these on the bay. WOW ... that's a lot of flipper activity! :mad:

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

cycleguy wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:09 pm
Counted 23 listings for these on the bay. WOW ... that's a lot of flipper activity! :mad:

CG
Good thing is, with that much competition they likely won't get what their hoping for. Maybe profit a whopping $10 after Ebay fees. Sure some may spend $200 and end up paying around $230 after all is said and done, but hopefully people realize the knife isnt worth it.

I've been tempted by the KW exclusive CF Military in S90V this past week, it's used and the seller is still asking $30 over what it was new. I get it, it's an exclusive...but, he needs to consider at the price of that knife it's almost another $30 in taxes these days. Not happening!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:26 pm
cycleguy wrote:

CG
Good thing is, with that much competition they likely won't get what their hoping for. Maybe profit a whopping $10 after Ebay fees. Sure some may spend $200 and end up paying around $230 after all is said and done, but hopefully people realize the knife isnt worth it.

I've been tempted by the KW exclusive CF Military in S90V this past week, it's used and the seller is still asking $30 over what it was new. I get it, it's an exclusive...but, he needs to consider at the price of that knife it's almost another $30 in taxes these days. Not happening!
Yup. My rule is generally no more than $25 over what they were new, that includes taxes and shipping. All in. Knife better be new too.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Spidey-Dawg

Post by Spidey-Dawg »

cycleguy wrote:
CG
A lot of desperate souls out there looking for an extra $50-70 bucks. It must really be hard for them these days.
BG-ThatsMe

Post by BG-ThatsMe »

TenGrainBread wrote:
BG-ThatsMe wrote:

I guess I'm confused why people are calling this a "fiasco". Spyderco fulfilled the order to DLT, and DLT sold the knives. It's the (crazy) choice of the knife collectors to sit there and refresh their browser for 30 minutes. The outcome would be the same whether or not their server crashed - there's only so many knives and many times more people who want them, and so a lot of people won't get them. Whether the server handles the traffic or not doesn't change that.

The problem is the knife collectors' compulsive urge to get the new and cool thing, not Spyderco or DLT. Nobody needs a Cruwear PM2. It does the same thing as any other PM2, barring some truly minor variance in how frequently it needs to be sharpened.
The release was poorly executed, and that is not in dispute.

When an authorized dealer of a brand botches these types of events on more than 1 occasion, I think they should be held to account.

This reflects poorly on the brand, and if this were my company I would not be pleased.

I’m a bit tired of hearing the masses here blame flippers, collectors, etc for server crashes. Some retailers really need to remedy their technology issues. You can blame everyone else the first time this happens. When it repeatedly happens it becomes an issue for the retailer to solve. And if they don’t fix their customer service issues when releasing an exclusive Spyderco knife...why shouldn’t that get the attention of the leadership in Golden?
Arkansaw

Post by Arkansaw »

Hate I missed this, today. I refuse to pay EBay mark up so hopefully someone will want out from under a lightly-used One soon.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

BG-ThatsMe wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 6:15 pm
TenGrainBread wrote:
BG-ThatsMe wrote:

The release was poorly executed, and that is not in dispute.

When an authorized dealer of a brand botches these types of events on more than 1 occasion, I think they should be held to account.

This reflects poorly on the brand, and if this were my company I would not be pleased.

I’m a bit tired of hearing the masses here blame flippers, collectors, etc for server crashes. Some retailers really need to remedy their technology issues. You can blame everyone else the first time this happens. When it repeatedly happens it becomes an issue for the retailer to solve. And if they don’t fix their customer service issues when releasing an exclusive Spyderco knife...why shouldn’t that get the attention of the leadership in Golden?
The problem is flippers flood the servers and what you get is, basically, a ddos attack from people constantly refreshing the page. They can try to account for it, but it seems there are more and more people every time and it just becomes a snowball. Is it partly DLTs fault? Yes. They should either demand their provider do better or go to someone who can handle the demand. Is it entirely their fault? No. They can't control the amount of people trying to get 2 of these to flip on ebay before they even get them in the mail.

It's basically down to greed. People want the knife, and there are people who want to make a profit and know that others will pay over retail price for them.

Besides, it's just a knife. Maybe DLT should limit one per customer, or order double the amount, or rerun the combination later. They know they will sell, it's a very low risk item. And if they do a double run, and more people who want the knife get it, and flippers get their share but then don't sell at the inflated prices flippers will slow or stop trying to get in on the drops.

This seems to always happen though, which is why I don't even try usually. It wasn't a Shaman but if they did do a Shaman... I might try!
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
Spidey-Dawg

Post by Spidey-Dawg »

DLT must get a better host. They promised us that their "top minds" at their hosting company would keep the website online. See the e-mail sent below:
Good afternoon,
We have a Purple G-10 with Black DLC Cru-Wear Para 3 being released on November 3rd at 11am Central. They will be $164.50 each with a limit of 2 per customer.
The previous release of the PM2, did melt our site down. When our site doesn't work as expected it's frustrating for customers as well as our staff. We have been assured that the top minds at our hosting company will be on top of the release.
Inexcusable. Quality hosting capable of handling huge traffic loads isn't expensive anymore. All the other retailers and major websites (Amazon, Reddit, etc.,) have figured that out, why not DLT Trading?
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:16 pm
I'm surprised there wasn't a ton of hype on this one here, only a couple pages worth. A year or two ago this thread would have been 15 pages long. Is the Para 3 love affair finally dying down?

No, there's still hype - it's just that DLT kept this one under wraps until about 4-5 days ago, nobody knew unless maybe you were an insider, a DLT employee, or one of those knife review guys and moderators of those FB groups dedicated to the pm2/para 3 platform. I' ve seen guys there receiving knives way ahead of the scheduled drop and rubbing it in the rest of the masses afterwards - happened during the REC PM2 drop. One mod actually posted that he was happy that he was finally able to post his knife after the drop because he got his in advance. Kinda unfair actually to the rest of us afis to have some get theirs without the headache of the drop because of connections to the dealers.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

BG-ThatsMe wrote:
Spidey-Dawg wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:22 pm
I agree, DLT really should improve their hosing. There is no excuse not to have a host that can handle 100x the usual traffic.
There is no incentive for DLT to improve the customer experience. We’re talking about something on the order of $100k in sales in less than 5 minutes.

I really enjoy buying from DLT, but they have repeated this look too many times.

Actually, Jason the owner of DLT personally replied to some people of FB about their concerns, and he was live on FB a few hours ago explaining what possibly went wrong, and that it was not easy and simple as writing a huge check then transferring to another e-commerce server hosting service. If it was, he would have done it a long time ago. The last thing they want is to lose customers over failed customer experience. And to be fair to them, this DID NOT happen during the last recent drops like the Delica and the Smock.
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
araneae

Post by araneae »

Some are insinuating that the dealer made $100K and doesn't care about the customer. First of all, that is not what they made on the batch, they have costs, and margins are probably not huge. Second, they had better care about keeping customers happy or they will go elsewhere. I've been around long enough to see vendors go from highly favored to the B team. It is not Spyderco's place to tell the vendor how to sell exclusives, it is in the vendor's best interest to sell knives to happy customers who will keep buying knives.

DLT is saying their platform provider ensured them that this wouldn't happen and some customers in the IT field have provided what seems like solid feedback on IG. Hopefully DLT is paying attention and working to fix this. This was a pretty big fail. I have bought a lot of knives from them, mostly exclusives, and this is was not cool.
So many knives, so few pockets... :)
-Nick

Last in: N5 Magnacut
The "Spirit" of the design does not come through unless used. -Sal
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

TenGrainBread wrote:
BG-ThatsMe wrote:

Uhm, how can you prove that nobody needs a certain knife in a certain kind of steel? Cruwear has some properties that make it better than other steels, especially on toughness. Certain jobs and certain knife applications need that intrinsic property of that steel. That generalization just doesn't make sense at all. Without Spyderco's willingness to innovate and experiment with different steels we'd probably all be stuck with whatever steel was the industry standard in the last decade.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

nerdlock wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:38 pm
And to be fair to them, this DID NOT happen during the last recent drops like the Delica and the Smock.
But it did happen with the Pm2 and para 3, cuz no one saw that happening :rolleyes:
araneae wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:46 pm
Some are insinuating that the dealer made $100K and doesn't care about the customer...
No, they didn’t make it after taxes and fees but that’s gotta be in the ballpark of what the sales numbers were and people are going to miss out. That’s the bottom line with an exclusive. However, the only part to care about here is the server issue, otherwise they’d just order a huge amount of knives so everyone could have one... but then they wouldn’t have this kind of sale volume if it wasn’t limited. It’s catch 22.

Even worse, I had one in my cart with a DLT account and couldn’t load PayPal fast enough or enter my CC # fast enough... so it was not just me, but the fact that someone who has an account with you and spends money there can have a knife sold out from under them in less than 30 seconds because apparently they don’t have a one click ordering option... well... That’s not right either.
Last edited by prndltech on Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006