Knife and Car

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
Albatross

Knife and Car

Post by Albatross »

Spyderco was (and is) intended to be a high performance knife company. It's name was derived (in part) from sports car terminology, so this got me thinking...

If you could have only one "high performance" Spyderco knife and one "high performance" vehicle, which knife and vehicle would you choose. High performance in the sense of what would perform best for your wants, not necessarily the best cutter or fastest car. Maybe a truck driver would dream of the newest, most-powerful rig instead of a Ferrari, so we'll just stick with "high performance" vehicle, to include all vehicular interests.

My one knife would be the Manix 2 CF CPM154/S90V, P4 G10, or TreeRex Shaman... I can't decide. Any of those 3 would be a choice I could happily live with for the rest of my days.

The vehicle is easy; I want another Nissan 300ZX (Z32 for you car nerds). I owned a 1990 non-turbo, and was obsessed with it. Unfortunately, I couldn't afford to keep it at the time, because it needed so much work and I was in a financial funk. Now the obstacle is my wife (and child) and making a convincing argument that we need a 2 seater sports car right now. :D

A 1978 240Z certainly wouldn't be a bad choice either. The iconic design lines were used by a few automakers, but here in the States (and probably everywhere else in the world), I think a 1978 Nissan 240Z would be easier to aquire than something like a Ferrari 250 GTO.
Last edited by Albatross on Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
odomandr

Re: Knife and Car

Post by odomandr »

I had a 240sx with an sr20 turbo swap. I regret letting it go. If I'm doing that over again I'm stepping up to a z32 as well; Twin Turbo. Or now that the r32 is legal to import an RB is calling future me, saying let's go for a ride......

As for the knife I'd have to look into restricted models.....
"Yeah? Well, you know, thats like uh, your opinion, man" - Lebowski
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

odomandr wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:27 am
I had a 240sx with an sr20 turbo swap. I regret letting it go. If I'm doing that over again I'm stepping up to a z32 as well; Twin Turbo. Or now that the r32 is legal to import an RB is calling future me, saying let's go for a ride......

[/quote

I bet that baby RIPPED! What PSI did you have it tuned too, before tapering down?
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

If I was to comp one of my knives with my car(WRX), it would have to be one of my MuleTeam PMA11's. You can beat on it all you want, it "cuts" corners like nobody's business, it wasn't too awful expensive and I modified it myself :D

I've wanted a AWD Turbo Porsche since I was a kid but a 4 door Subaru is as close as I'll get, I guess...

Those old Z's you are referring to are some of the most beautiful cars ever made, I almost went that way back in the 90's but, ended up in the Honda world and eventually build my own RHD Civic Type R. I would comp the Para3 with the CTR :p
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:34 am
If I was to comp one of my knives with my car(WRX), it would have to be one of my MuleTeam PMA11's. You can beat on it all you want, it "cuts" corners like nobody's business, it wasn't too awful expensive and I modified it myself :D

I've wanted a AWD Turbo Porsche since I was a kid but a 4 door Subaru is as close as I'll get, I guess...

Those old Z's you are referring to are some of the most beautiful cars ever made, I almost went that way back in the 90's but, ended up in the Honda world and eventually build my own RHD Civic Type R. I would comp the Para3 with the CTR :p
Those 90's cars were awesome for sure. One of my all time favorites that a friend of mines dad had was the Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4. I remember thinking it was the coolest car in the world. I bet he wishes he still had it too!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
odomandr

Post by odomandr »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:32 am
odomandr wrote:

I bet that baby RIPPED! What PSI did you have it tuned too, before tapering down?
Disco potato pushing 18psi. Made 320 on the dyno.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

For me:
- Most likely the Pac Salt SE in ffg and LC200N ("most likely" just since it has not hit the stores in Europe yet and so I don´t have real life experience with it) - optimal performance for my needs.
- And, well: A simple Volkswagen Bus / Transporter, but the Syncro (so four wheel drive), the front passenger seat should be rotatable, and a both simple to rig up and dismantle bed in the back... :)
Don´t care much for motor output, as long as I can get from here to there...;)
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Spyderco Province and my Toyota Tacoma. I can't get these sports cars down the roads I like to travel.

The Tree-Rex Shaman would be a good choice if I had to choose a folder.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

A Rivian truck and pretty much any Spyderco as they are all state of the art. :spyder: At least I have the Spydercos already, doubtful on the Rivian.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I kind of equate Spyderco knives to either a Ferrari or Lamborghini :cool: Or you could say that it makes a statement similar to what you would expect from a ROLEX watch.

On the other hand I wouldn't say that Spyderco and Rolls Royce are on the same plane of reality but they are both very respectful names in the business world.

But no doubt about it every Spyder I've ever owned and used I would put in the "high performance" category for sure. :cool:
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

odomandr wrote:

The R32 is one that sometimes takes the #1 spot for me, but it's usually the Z32. In my opinion, the R32 is the best looking Skyline of the bunch.

legOFwhat? wrote:

100% agreed. I'm partial to Nissan, especially the ones I've mentioned, but a lot of the 90's Japanese sports cars were absolutely gorgeous. When most of the rest of the big auto makers were designing boxes, the Japanese made works of art.
odomandr

Post by odomandr »

Albatross wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:52 pm
odomandr wrote:

The R32 is one that sometimes takes the #1 spot for me, but it's usually the Z32. In my opinion, the R32 is the best looking Skyline of the bunch.

legOFwhat? wrote:

100% agreed. I'm partial to Nissan, especially the ones I've mentioned, but a lot of the 90's Japanese sports cars were absolutely gorgeous. When most of the rest of the big auto makers were designing boxes, the Japanese made works of art.
Google the 400z that was recently shown as a concept.... Japanese muscle
M Sea

Post by M Sea »

Cool thread. I would want a combo edge LC200N Shaman with Micarta scales paired with a mid 2000's Ford F-250 with the 7.3 Diesel👌
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

odomandr wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:04 pm

Google the 400z that was recently shown as a concept.... Japanese muscle
It sure is pretty, but similar to JD Spydo's love of the "golden age" of Spyderco, I'm enamored with what I consider the "golden age(s)" of Japanese sports cars, the 60's-70's and 90's. The 80's weren't kind to most cars. Having said that, I do like the 400 more than the 350 and 370, and wouldn't mind owning one.

The "golden age" topic got me thinking: I might have found my own "golden age" of Spyderco, but it isn't over yet. For me, it started somewhere around 7 years ago, with a Super Blue Delica, which I regrettably didn't use before parting with. :(

That first sprint, along with some great models that have come and some that have gone, made it (for me) a special period of time in Spyderco’s history. That first sprint also sparked a hefty appetite for more exotic steels.
anycal

Post by anycal »

PM2 K390

4Runner TRD Pro, FOX shocks.
Peter
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 8:38 am
legOFwhat? wrote:

Those 90's cars were awesome for sure. One of my all time favorites that a friend of mines dad had was the Mitsubishi 3000GT VR4. I remember thinking it was the coolest car in the world. I bet he wishes he still had it too!
Those 300gt, the rx7 and the supra's of that time were all dream cars of mine! Seeing cars like that back in the 90's at car audio competitions would always make me drool. I should have spent more money on speed instead of SPL and RTA...had some cars that cost less than the sound systems😅
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

I prefer to buy American made knives, my Manix 2 LW Rex45 is probably the highest performing knife I own and the one that fits all of my EDC needs the best.

Likewise I prefer to buy American cars- right now I own a first gen Cadillac CTS-V and a Jeep JLU Wrangler, each a high performing vehicle in its own way. If I could buy a new car for pavement driving I would like the latest V8 version of the Cadillac. But at this time I'm looking forward to a lot of future offroad trips so if restricted to one vehicle it would have to be a new Jeep JLU Rubicon.
Mushroom

Post by Mushroom »

Is the knife supposed to "match" the car?

My knife of choice would be the CF/S90V Perrin PPT Sprint.

If I could just choose anything... Car would be a 2021 Toyota Land Cruiser Heritage Edition!
-Nick :bug-red
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

anycal wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:00 pm
PM2 K390

4Runner TRD Pro, FOX shocks.
That's the idea!
tomcatt1

Post by tomcatt1 »

Cybertruck and a Watu :D
Tommy

Current Spyderco knives: SpydieChef, PM2 Maxamet, Meerkat, Pro-Grip, and a couple of Tenacious.
Previous: Smock, Kapara, Manix 2 LW Rex45, Manix 2 FRCP S90V, Manix 2 FRCP BD1, Manix 2 G10, Caribbean, Sage 2, Shaman