What is your favorite scale color between Burnt Orange or Blurple?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.

What is your favorite scale color between Burnt Orange or Blurple?

Burnt Orange
47%
Blurple
53%

Total votes: 97

abbazaba

Re: What is your favorite scale color between Burnt Orange or Blurple?

Post by abbazaba »

The Burnt Orange really grew on me
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JuPaul wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:40 am
Evil D wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:23 am
When my son was a baby we had a diaper incident that was exactly the same color as that burnt orange. I'm not even joking. It was all the way up his back and down his thighs. I guess being a dad has ruined colors like that for me.
🤣 It's amazing the colors they produce, isn't it!

Yeah and it wasn't exactly a "sprint run", it was more of a "standard production". :D
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
steelcity16

Post by steelcity16 »

Blurple is one of my favorite G10 colors. Its a bummer that it is reserved for S110V.
:bug-white-red CRU-CARTA THE SEKI MODELS! :bug-white-red AND BRING US THE DODO-FLY! :bug-white-red
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

I am OK with both, but have come to very much like the burnt orange, in fact I purchased some burnt orange fabric for a couple of sewing projects. For things where eye-grabbing high visibility is what you want, I like burnt orange much better than neon green and other "dial all the way to the right" colors.
kobold

Post by kobold »

I don't like black G10 and blurple looks almost black to me, so I voted burnt orange. But a lighter shade would win me over.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Oloung1

Post by Oloung1 »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:23 am
When my son was a baby we had a diaper incident that was exactly the same color as that burnt orange. I'm not even joking. It was all the way up his back and down his thighs. I guess being a dad has ruined colors like that for me.
Dude, that escalated quickly!! lol It was your comms on the other thread that wanted me to see what afis favored without the type of steel in consideration.
Surfingringo wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:22 am
I voted orange. Only 11 votes so far but it looks closer than I would have expected. Like EvilD said in the other thread, it’s easy to assume that just because you have a strong preference between the two then most others will share it. I’m interested to see where the numbers end up. Even though I’m aware of my bias, I still expect orange to pull away on this one.
I'm a bit surprised of the delta Orange has on Blurple. I thought it would be closer.
JRinFL wrote: There is much more to color than just color. https://bigthink.com/mind-brain/color-p ... psychology
Interesting study as I have been accused of being monochromatic.
Albatross

Post by Albatross »

I voted burnt orange. Truthfully, it's one of my favorite scale colors, but I don’t have any knives with burnt orange scales anymore. As they age and get stains and such, I think they show more personality than some of other colors Spyderco offers.

Blurple is interesting, but the way it changes from blue to purple, depending on the lighting, kind of ruins it for me.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

The Meat man wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:19 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:53 am
The Meat man wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:49 am
Blurple all the way. Not only does it look better in my opinion, it also doesn't show dirt or grime as quickly as burnt orange.
You had a tough time with cleaning your scales on your Rex45 Military didn't you? I find using a Magic Eraser works the best on cleaning G10 scales of any color. I've tried 3 different products/methods so far, but none is faster or less messy than using the Magic Eraser.
Yeah I did. And I made the mistake of boiling the scales in water to try to loosen up the embedded grime. All that did was give it a washed-out look, like old vomit.
I have tried using mineral oil to revitalize the scales but it didn't work. I've yet to try JD's Ballistol but I'd like to sometime.

I didn't think I was the kind of guy who cared that much about handle color, but apparently I am. :rolleyes:
Yeah, Ballistol works great to refresh G10 and even other plastics like car dashboards and centre consoles. It’s non toxic to skin as well.

I like blurple over burnt orange, but I like the HAP40 burnt orange colour for work knives much better than bright orange.

Although I don’t actually have any blurple knives - my S110V UKPK is more of a dark navy blue.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I love Blurple
I am glad Spyderco is willing to make unique products. Maybe if it was called “Midnight Tactical” it would be more acceptable in the knife world.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
bdblue

Post by bdblue »

There aren't many scale colors I don't like, maybe lime green and black. My favorite EDC knife right now is burnt orange, but if the question is which do I prefer, I prefer blurple.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Burnt orange.
:unicorn
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I love the 'blurple". I wish I could vote "both" however. I can't so I chose blurple.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Interesting results so far - as said already: If I have to choose I am in the "burnt orange" camp, but thought I would be in the minority. Does not look like that though.
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
VooDooChild

Post by VooDooChild »

Burnt orange
"Rome's greatest contribution to mathematics was the killing of Archimedes."
normal

Post by normal »

Blue (BB M390 blue especially) is my favorite knife color and I like orange and even just ordered an orange Spyderco. Neither blurple or burnt orange really appeal to me, but I definitely prefer blurple between the two.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

To my eyes, the color used for the CPM S110V knives is scarcely "purplish". More a very dark, slightly indigo blue color.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

Think it is called Texas Longhorns Orange but that is way toooo long of a name and had to be modified.

Eye opening that it is holding its ground so well... maybe y'all from Texas around here??? :eek:

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

cycleguy wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 4:10 pm
Think it is called Texas Longhorns Orange but that is way toooo long of a name and had to be modified.

Eye opening that it is holding its ground so well... maybe y'all from Texas around here??? :eek:

CG
Well, I am not exactly in Texas actually .. ;)
Still really like burnt- aka "texas longhorn"- orange... :D
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
AH80s

Post by AH80s »

I don’t have either, but voted blurple as I think it would have a greater appeal long term. No strong preference either way really.
Andrew
Hambone

Post by Hambone »

Fireman wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:25 pm
I love Blurple
I am glad Spyderco is willing to make unique products. Maybe if it was called “Midnight Tactical” it would be more acceptable in the knife world.
Ha, this is amazing.

——-

I am amazed this is so close and how the numbers have looked, been back and forth, in general.