Would s110v family sale better w/o Blurple?

Discuss Spyderco's products and history.
The Meat man

Re: Would s110v family sale better w/o Blurple?

Post by The Meat man »

Surfingringo wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:17 am
The Meat man wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:27 am
Evil D wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:38 am
Meanwhile there are people buying up that disgusting burnt orange like crazy so maybe people just have weird taste when it comes to colors.
Yeah I'd take Blurple over burnt orange any day.
Everyone will have a favorite between the two but my guess is that you are in the minority. I just saw that someone posted a poll but I wanted to fire my guess out there before I watch the results come in. Haha. We’ll see.
I'm guessing you're right. I have seen way more love here for the burnt orange color than Blurple, anyway.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

The Meat man wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:22 am
Surfingringo wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 7:17 am
The Meat man wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 5:27 am
Evil D wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 4:38 am
Meanwhile there are people buying up that disgusting burnt orange like crazy so maybe people just have weird taste when it comes to colors.
Yeah I'd take Blurple over burnt orange any day.
Everyone will have a favorite between the two but my guess is that you are in the minority. I just saw that someone posted a poll but I wanted to fire my guess out there before I watch the results come in. Haha. We’ll see.
I'm guessing you're right. I have seen way more love here for the burnt orange color than Blurple, anyway.
Me too, but there’s too many differences to make a guess about the color preference. VERY different steels and one is a sprint so it would have higher demand regardless. I’ve had my opinion about the blurple for awhile now but I’m quite interested to see the poll results. So far it’s looking much closer than I would have expected.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I believe that color of the scales makes a huge difference in the final sales numbers of any knife. While the Blurple color may not be hurting sales, I do not see it helping sales.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Oct 30, 2020 6:36 am
For me Blurple is a major turn off, but so are all these teals/bright greens/yellow/pink. I don't want a knife that looks like an easter egg. Especially on a knife that's deemed tough, it makes them look prissy in my opinion.

Same here TkoK83Spy :cool: really do not like all those colors you have mentioned at all. Well, except for the yellow and bright green as they have their use as Salt-oriented colors.

For my part, I just cannot stand blue in a knife scale. I don't know, but I seem to have developed an association with blue knives to toys. Much more the blurple...a combination of blue, purple and some translucence that makes me feel that it doesn't have a concrete idea of what color it wants to be lol (Which is weird because the purple PM2 is one of my favorite knife scale colors of all time). That's another reason also why I'm quite hesitant to buy the SPY27 variants, but to be fair, the muted dark bluish hue may grow on me someday and it's not garish as the blue on the Bento Box PM exclusives.

And add to the fact that they are more expensive than the regular options and sprints/exclusives makes it more off-putting for me to try and buy a blurple at full price. Maybe someday when I can stumble on a heavily discounted piece, but not now at full prices.

Anyhow, to each his/her own and if others like it, then it's all good. :D
8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
nerdlock

Post by nerdlock »

Follow up to my reply, one of the reasons I find blurple to be off putting and associative with toys is that I used to have an action figure while growing up as a kid in the 80s, a Ghostbusters Peter Venkman figure with an accompanying translucent ghost snake that in some lighting scenarios, makes me remember that toy when seeing the translucent blurple scales.

8Cr13MoV:N690Co:VG10:S30V:S35VN:S45VN:Elmax:SPY27:H1:LC200N:4V:MagnaCut:CTS-XHP:204P:M390:20CV:Cru-Wear:Z-Wear:M4:Rex-45:10V:K390:15V:S90V:Z-Max:Maxamet
TenGrainBread

Post by TenGrainBread »

Black scales are boring. Funny how some people think their masculinity is threatened by the color of a knife handle.

I have a bunch of funky colors. My yellow Native Salt is my favorite, followed by the red Para 3. I have a blurple PM2 but it's low on my list of favorite colors. Never was a lavender fan.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I actually don't mind the Blurple. And it's kind of traditional now.

Plus, if you're guying an s110v knife, you're already up in the '1st world problems' category, and it's not hard to buy aftermarket scales.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I bought a PM2 S110V specifically because of the color. The steel was a far second consideration, in this case.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

I like the FRN FRCP s110v, the g10 looks a little dull, but not bad, but that's just colored g10, it never "pops"
dman62

Post by dman62 »

I like my Blurple Para 2. The color and the steel are in my wheelhouse. If the s110v had come in black scales I wouldn't have bought it though.
dan31

Post by dan31 »

I’m waiting for the S110v Military to restock. I hope they keep the heat treat that pushed closer to 64 hrc.
Tucson Tom

Post by Tucson Tom »

Well, nobody should hire me for a marketing and sales analyst, or at least not ask my opinion to make such decisions. My opinions are almost never lined up with the teeming masses.

I see "blurple" as unique, one minute it seems cool and the next I just don't know. But as BFK says it is a polarizing color, some people really dislike it and others adore it. For me, I can set it aside and just make a decision based on the steel. S110V is a kind of a unique and out on the fringes steel, and I think once a person decides he wants it, the scale color usually won't be a deal breaker.
Abyss_Fish

Post by Abyss_Fish »

Totally depends on the model. I’m not a fan of the blurple on the para 2 or 3. But the newer linerless native and the military are gorgeous in it.

In the end it’s personal preference. I know the bright yellow of much of the salt series is a no-no for many. I think it’s a plus personally, especially for work knives.
Lightly insane.

Current spydie collection: Watu, Rhino, UKPK Salt G10 bladeswap, Yojimbo 2 Smooth G10 Cru-Wear, Manix lw “mystic” 20cv, SmallFly 2, Waterway, Ladybug k390, Caribbean
Current favorite steels: sg2/R2, lc200n/Z-FiNit, 3v
Bill1170

Post by Bill1170 »

Maybe? I love blue like on FRN Delicas and the Bento M390 PM2. The blurple is just okay, I bought it in spite of the meh color because I wanted S110V. I like the bright and cheerful colors; black, FDE, and blurple don’t really thrill me. The new green scales on LC200N models is very attractive, wish my Caribbean was that color instead of bumblebee. Color choices are very personal to each one.
navin johnson

Post by navin johnson »

The FRN color is ok. The G-10 is a no go for me. Have been looking at a P2 S110V in the case for a while and can't do it...
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

I like blurple more than burnt orange.

Personally handle color is not the number one consideration when buying a new knife but, variety is a good thing.

Black is kinda boring sometimes. Don’t get me wrong, I do appreciate a good blacked out knife but, these days I definitely appreciate some color. (just not red)
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
curlyhairedboy

Post by curlyhairedboy »

I'm a huge fan of different handle colors/options. The blurple models tend to be just different enough :)
EDC Rotation: PITS, Damasteel Urban, Shaman, Ikuchi, Amalgam, CruCarta Shaman, Sage 5 LW, Serrated Caribbean Sheepsfoot CQI, XHP Shaman, M4/Micarta Shaman, 15v Shaman
Fixed Blades: Proficient, Magnacut Mule
Special and Sentimental: Southard, Squarehead LW, Ouroboros, Calendar Para 3 LW, 40th Anniversary Native, Ti Native, Calendar Watu, Tanto PM2
Would like to own again: CQI Caribbean Sheepsfoot PE, Watu
Wishlist: Magnacut, Shaman Sprints!
cycleguy

Post by cycleguy »

I am more attracted to the color than the steel.

CG
So many knives - so little funds!!!
Notsurewhy

Post by Notsurewhy »

Yeah, It's the S110v more than the scales keeping me from buying. Totally understand that some folks don't like blurple though. I really don't like burnt orange. Looks like a cross between pumpkin and baby poop.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

My favorite color is blue and I tried to love the blurple, but in the end I just couldn't. I waffled back and forth with it for a year or two and even tried to dye it darker, but eventually purchased some denim flag micarta to put on my PM2.

I love the steel though.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049